2wd Expidetion Vehicle

wely

Observer
Depends on which rearend you have. Some of the explore axles were not really suported by the aftermarket. The most popular air locker would be the ARB. The problem is finding out if they make one to fit your rearend.

Use 3/4-ton springs if you want bruised kidneys. :elkgrin: Just kidding about the kidneys, but if you need the added springs perhaps you need a 2500. If extra weight is a concern, look at add-a-leaf or HD versions of 1/2-ton springs, both front coils and rear leaf springs. Variable rate coils are worth a look. You'll be much happier. :sombrero:

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
I'm also using a 2wd. Mine is an 07 ford explorer. I have already done the lift and tires and currently making skid plates for it. Does anyone have a sugestion on rear air locker for this not sure if one is made for it?

Yes, ARB makes one. I'm positive that you have an 8.8 rear.

Mr. Moore

Observer
Dimaondjosh, I beleive the newer explorers like yours use indipendent rear suspension and CV axels. the ford 8.8 if I remember correctly is a solid axel (I used to have a 97 ex.) the stealership will be able to conferm it over the phone for you.

Mr. Moore

Observer
Use 3/4-ton springs if you want bruised kidneys. :elkgrin: Just kidding about the kidneys, but if you need the added springs perhaps you need a 2500. If extra weight is a concern, look at add-a-leaf or HD versions of 1/2-ton springs, both front coils and rear leaf springs. Variable rate coils are worth a look. You'll be much happier. :sombrero:

The 2500 springs are an inexpensive way to lift a 1500. especially the 2wds that sit low in the front. I have heard that it works and that they mount the same way (front coils anyway)...but yeah. it might be a bit rough. A daystar leveling spacer might work for you though, they are only about 75 bucks I think

angusdevil

Adventurer
The 2500 springs are an inexpensive way to lift a 1500. especially the 2wds that sit low in the front. I have heard that it works and that they mount the same way (front coils anyway)...but yeah. it might be a bit rough. A daystar leveling spacer might work for you though, they are only about 75 bucks I think

2500/3500 leafs are 3" wide where as 1500 leafs are 2.5" Even if you made some new shackles, you're gonna have issues with smacking the frame. Now, I do know of quite a few 1500's that have had some mini-packs made by Deaver. The results so far are pretty outstanding.

angusdevil

Adventurer
I don't believe so but why in the world would you want to put in a taller, stiffer coil? You're better off putting in a spacer or getting custom coils.

wely

Observer
One reason I see for taller stiffer coils would be a winch bumper. I am thinking of building a winch bumper for the front end.

D

Deleted member 9101

My main travel truck is 2wd and I've been all over from Alaska to Florida. The first thing I would do would be a good set of all terrain tires. Next would be re-gearing depending on tire size. Then if you have the money, get a detroit truetrac or eaton e-locker. Thats really all you need. The rest is driving abilities and knowing what your vehicle can and can't do. Everything else is just fluff.

I should add, I've logged 250,000 miles and still have an open diff.

Now thats my kind of expo vehicle!!!

wely

Observer
OK so it sounds like 2500 coils are out. Maybe I need to look @ a set of spindle lifts and maybe a body lift. for right now I will work on getting larger tires and look @ more lift later on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior