2007 Tacoma diff

bat

Explorer
I have been having this droning /vibration noise in the front drivers side for awhile, after much research I decided it was a needle bearing in the diff on the outboard drivers side. The test which I felt was the best (internet find) was driving at 30 mph causing vibration and putting it into 4hi which would stop the vibration. The outer bearing is a needle and the inboard bearing is a cone bearing. I could be wrong on this but putting it in 4hi was causing the inner cone bearing to take the some weight of the axle of the needle bearing to stop the vibe. I decided to take my truck to Kearny Mesa Toyota to have it looked at to see what was up. After 2 days of having my truck and Toyota engineers looking they said the needle bearing was toast and putting a new diff and driver side cv axle in under warranty. My truck is a 2007 46k miles CC 4x4 lb with a lift and taking to the dealer with the stuff on it I was a bit nervous. I must say Kearny Mesa Toyota stepped up to the plate and treated me like a dealer should when someone has a problem that should not happen in that time frame.They will have my truck for 6 days so a loner car was offered for free that is great service .

mkitchen

Explorer
That is good to hear

It's good to hear that some dealers take care of their customers. I guess that some have learned that that is how a company gets return customers.
Mikey

TerranAce007

Just had this same issue on my 2014 at 28k. Vibration has been going on for a while now since I lifted it and the needle bearing finally crapped out. Took it to the dealer and getting the diff and both CVs replaced.

At first it was a clicking noise which I thought was a ball joint or LCA bushing, but then it got worse every time the suspension flexed going over a bump or turning. I thought it couldn't be a CV since it didn't make noise continuously while driving, and when I put it up and down on the jack, I could hear the sound coming from the diff. It was the end of the CV shaft shifting inside the broken bearing when the suspension moved.

Last edited:

Eazy.E

PNW Wanderer
This is a pretty common occurrence among lifted Tacoma's. From the factory they are allowed a certain amount of play to still be in spec. Once lifted the added pressure from your increased CV angle is what causes the abnormal wear and vibration. Search "ECGS bushing replacement" East Coast gear Supply makes a clam shell bushing replacement for the outer needle bearing hat eliminates vibration and will not wear out like a normal needle bearing.

But hey as long as its under warrantee why not have the dealer ship throw new bearings at it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles