Thread: Snow Peak Addiction

A few years ago I was able to buy a SP spork, I cheaped out on the second and got an REI plastic thing with a fork on one end and a spoon on the other. My son broke it first use. Next year I was able to save more money and buy a SECOND spork......yep, like my sporks. I'm so proud.

Oh yeah 5 years ago I bought the multi-compact cook set awesome backpacking gear.
    JK 2dr rubi Garage
    2000 F350 CC LWB 7.3 4x4
    2003 F550 6.0 4x4
    2006 R1
    1999 35' 5th wheel RV

Quote Originally Posted by Honu View Post
    Ho Chung
    just want to say thanks I was the one who called you and was asking about 3 or 4 space grills and fitting them in my FJC a few days ago ?
    and I just ordered the grill box from you Friday

thanks for the time to talk and share thoughts

No prob. You'll love the BBQ box. It's going out today.
    Ho Chung -- W6HC

You will love the BBQ box. Ho is a good guy, and I'm happy to see you had a good experience.

Cheers,
    Greg
    Greg (a.k.a. Hafwit)
    1967 Steyr-Puch Swiss military Haflinger
    1975 Volvo Swedish military TGB111
    2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition

I'm having issues with my BBQ Box, it might that I am putting on too much food or that I'm using too much charcoal. Either way I get one round of food cooked and the coals die without burning all the way down. What am I doing wrong? I am using natural pressed charcoal (no lighter fluid) and filling the coal box but only one layer. Also I'm waiting until the coals are grey and white hot, should I be using them earlier when there is still some black left on them?
    97 Lexus LX450 - Dialed in the way I like it!

If you are using sawdust briquettes (shame on you! Lump charcoal is much better), then they should break down to powder before they are spent. If they stop burning and yet retain their shape, it sounds like you may not be getting enough air flow to them. Perhaps you are crowding the grill so much that you have snuffed them. Also I find that charcoal works less effectively if you don't clean out the ash from a prior use. You want the charcoal to have air circulation from both above and below. If you are not adding lighter fluid or using "match light" briquettes, you don't necessarily need to wait until they are all perfectly glowing to get started. You may have started too late as well.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
    Greg
    Greg (a.k.a. Hafwit)

After your input I tweaked my routine with the BBQ box and was able to come up with some great results. First I added the coals to the box sooner, I left a little black on the coals so that there was more burnable material to work with. Second I used fewer coals, maybe 15? I think the biggest and most important factor was that I used smaller material. I didn't try to grill a whole 1.25" ribeye dripping with fat, instead I used chicken tenderloins and thin .25" veggies.

the cour de gras was a twist on a hoisin marinade. I didn't have the hoisin so I used some leftover cranberry sauce.

6 Tbs Cranberry Sauce
    2 Tbs Soy Sauce
    1 Tbs Fish Sauce
    1 Tbs Brown Sugar
    1 Tbs Honey
    2 Tbs Onion (finely chopped)
    1 Tbs Ginger
    1 Clove Garlic
    2 Tbs Sake

Heat in a sauce pan and reduce. The measurements are approx.

I think its time to stop as I am eyeing my kids leftover chicken nuggets wondering if they would taste better cooked on the BBQ Box!

I usually have at least twice the amount of charcoal.

Quote Originally Posted by Airmonger View Post
    I think its time to stop as I am eyeing my kids leftover chicken nuggets wondering if they would taste better cooked on the BBQ Box!
    Give it a try. I think you'll like it.
    Ho Chung -- W6HC

I have a Kalamazoo hybrid gas/charcoal/wood grill at home that is the bomb for cooking large pieces of meat. The Snow Peak BBQ box is built by a Japanese company that is primarily targeted at people cooking smaller items like yakitori and the like. That isn't to say that it can't cook larger items, but it will not do the same job as a large grill built for that purpose. When I want to Q a brisket, I get fantastic results from the Kalamazoo. I wouldn't consider the SP BBQ box for such things since it would be a PITA and wouldn't have a chance of being comparable no matter what you might try. However, the BBQ box works great for skewered meats and is much more fun to use than the big grill for that purpose. I made some great Japanese/Korean/Argentinean/Armenian foods on it where it really shined. If you have a local ethnic market that sells pre-marinated meats that are kabob-sized, you can't go wrong using the BBQ box to cook them. Keep in mind that charcoal only lasts so long, so if you plan to cook a lot of food or you want to keep it going for a while, you may need to replace the charcoal during the process. I know that EE sells the charcoal inserts for the BBQ box, and you might want to get an extra one if this is the route you wish to take--you could then start your replacement batch of charcoal in the extra insert and then switch the charcoal out to minimize your down time. I would also suggest you get some lump hardwood charcoal rather than briquettes since it lasts longer and is so much better. If you want to get some binchotan to be traditional, go ahead----however $$$$ discouraged me after trying it once. I don't think the binchotan was any better than much cheaper lump charcoal. I like lighting it with my SP torch and using cheap Asian butane as fuel for it rather than the expensive camping mixed fuel.

Good luck and enjoy.

Cheers,
    Greg
    Greg (a.k.a. Hafwit)

The bag of hardwood charcoal I got came with lumps half the size of my bbq box. I also found it harder to grill with inconsistent sized fuel, Ill have to give it another go.

if you have big chunks break them down a bit
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    my Snow Peak Reviews & Tweaks

Page 24 of 95 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast