Snow Peak Addiction

DesertSand05

Observer
snow peak tables...

I found a deal on a Snow Peak Single Action Folding Table I could not resist. I was destined to buy one after I got two red folding chairs :)
A good case for the set is next on the list.

I read some comments that mentioned their table warped once it got wet. My question is; the top seems unfinished, should I finish the top to protect it?

chrys

Observer
Where did you get the deal? I personally wouldn't finish the top, would just wipe it clean after each use... I live in LA though, so not much rain these days :)

DesertSand05

Observer
I got one from backcountrygear, this is the quote from amazon.com that has me concerned......

"Beautifully crafted. Love the bamboo and how it opens. I really loved the table but unfortunately after the first camping trip, I put it away in storage and when it came out for the second camping trip a year later, one side of the bamboo table had started to de-laminate. It was clean and dry when put away, but sitting down on one face on a tarp was enough to trap moisture in the air and wreck the bamboo... Basically the wood is unfinished and that is very wrong. I will try and restore the wood by oiling and putting a lacquer on it, but basically its nice look is ruined... very disappointed in its durability. It really was not made to leave the showroom floor."

The thing is the table will be getting around in the back of a pickup, so coming in contact with water won't be unexpected. Id rather have something to protect the surface...

chrys

Observer
yeah I've seen that quote, the table has been on my list for a little while... The problem is that the reviewer doesn't indicate where their storage area was. To me, it sounds like they were storing it outside under a tarp because there isn't much "moisture in the air" in a garage for instance. It also sounds like maybe it was laid flat on the ground rather than on its side. I would chalk this one up to improper storage in general. I have a number of different bamboo pieces from SP stored in my garage for well over a year now and never had any problems...

Did you already get your table from bcg? All of their SP stuff seems to be backordered most of the time, curious how your experience was...

07BlackSpecV

Adventurer
Well, just started my collection in a pretty modest fashion. Just ordered:
-Large Cutting Board and Knife
-Hozuki Mini Lantern
-Torch
-450 Titanium Mugs in Blue and Green
-Hotlips

Not really too much more I want from their catalog. I'm thinking the titanium silverware and dishware.

chrys

Observer
That's what you think now... Give it a little time and you'll start lusting after the rest of the catalog like the rest of us addicts :) I got the blue 450 cup and then decided that I didn't like the condensation when I use it for ice water at home. Now I have two double-walled cups. I tried the travel chopsticks and they were simply awesome. Now I have three pairs that I use every week and have given another pair or two away as gifts. I bought one titanium plate, now I have a full set of the steel silverware, multiple sets of titanium silverware, kitchen tools, the round titanium flask, a kanpai bottle, three grills, two tables, three chairs, spice rack and other inserts, multiple single storage boxes for the table, the trash bin attachment, torch, cutting board and knife, hotlips, fire gloves, lantern stand, 4 lanterns, three cast iron pots, a t-shirt and some stickers. Phew!

Seriously though, get the chopsticks!

Last edited:

DesertSand05

Observer
The subject name is perfect, snow peak is very addicting.

I wish I would have been able to buy a 22cm dutch oven, just because all the cases and accessories are so cool. I don't really need one, just really want one :) I am pretty sure a lot of the cast iron stuff is on its way to be discontinued.

Lucky the 26cm is just so much bigger than two people will ever need. I have never been tempted.

All the new cases and tote bags are a whole other story, Ill be buying some of that stuff real soon.

jerdog53

Explorer
I have been told to do something different as far as the ground tent is concerned. We currently have a Big Agnes Big House 4 since 2008 and have had a very favorable time with it! Problem with it is its a good open 3 season tent and at 10K feet can be rather cold even all closed up with the fly on. It will be regaled to the lower elevation Desert, Beach use and we will be looking for another tent for the higher elevations, an oversized 3 to 4 person.

Love Snow Peak products hence why I am posting here. I am wanting a 4 season tent that can be opened up as required on warmer days but can tolerate the 40 degree nights.

I would like to be able to stand up inside the tent and I'm only 68" tall like I can in the Big House 4.

The Dock Dome Pro 6 seems to fill all my needs but seems way bigger than needed and the price is off putting.

Land Breeze 4 seems to be a good size but cannot stand up in it.

Amenity Dome again good size but not really sure about ventilation and cant stand up inside.

I am open to other manufactures such as the Oztent or something else, thoughts?

07BlackSpecV

Adventurer

Got it! You guys are right, the feel of this stuff is great, now I just need to start putting it to use. Does anyone have suggestions for cleaning and keeping the cutting board looking fresh? Can I treat it just like the bamboo cutting boards I have in my house kitchen?

Last edited:

briferg

Observer
I treated my cutting board lots of mineral oil, I would like a sleeve to put it in to keep it clean.

I don't have the SP cutting board, but my Teak cutting boards advised mineral oil. Mainly because it doesn't go rancid. Worst thing that happens if you consume too much mineral oil is a mild laxative. It would take a lot more than what you put on a board.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94