SAR food rations

Spikepretorius

Explorer
What food do you carry in your backpack?
I'm looking for your suggestions for lightweight sustenance for 12 hours, 24 hours and 48 hours.
Also what food rations do you keep in your 4x4 permanently for SAR call outs?

Edit:
Up till now I've carried packets of nuts n raisins plus some energy drink powder. I'm a lazy sod and don't want to carry excess weight but I'm getting a bit sick of this diet now.

Last edited:

Gooseberry

Explorer
First of all my Pack is 72 hour pack is if I'm being dropped off and a 12 hour if I'm walking away from my car.

12 hour
trail mix
bars of some kind
bag of Jelly belly's
emeg c drink mix
sandwich maybe

72 hour
above plus
mountain house oatmeal blue berry 5 packets. makes a great lunch
mix of MH meals for dinner 2 to 3
Starbucks instant COFFEE

with this said I have used what ever is in base camp to break it up. I have also had Bacon & eggs, Steaks and stuff horse packed into us.

On top of that I have 3 days of Dog food for my K9

D

Deleted member 9101

4 MRE's per day... nothing more.. nothing less...lol

ShastaSAR

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/2400-Calorie-ER-Bar-Emergency/dp/B0007MW2PW"]This[/ame] is probably not the most tasty thing out there but it seems to be light weight, takes up little space and will sustain an individual. That coupled with [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Mainstay-Emergency-Drinking-Water-Pack/dp/B000GFJV7M/ref=pd_sim_gro_9"]these[/ame] water packs would save space and weight in the pack.

RVR2RSQ

Observer
mac n cheese

Although I carry a similar bar to ShastaSAR, I also carry some easy macs & instant oatmeal (maple and brownsugar). Since I live in Ohio most of the callouts we go on, I can hike out of easily so we rarely go overnight.

I keep my K9s food in individual servings in ziplock bags and enough for 72 hours for him as well.

Most of the time I just eat nature valley sweet and salty bars :)

Brian

DarkHelmet

Adventurer
For 12-24 hours I carry a quart size Ziploc stuffed with a couple Costco packages of Trail Mix, Peanut M&M's and a Snickers Bar. A few packets of Gu gel and Jelly Belly Sport Beans with Caffeine; Sharkie's (fruit chews), Shot Bloks, and Gu20 drink mix. A small Peak 1 canister stove stored inside a Titanium SnowPeak cup with fuel canister and Ti spork and a baggie with hot chocolate, cider, instant soup and tea bags inside. It makes for a compact, light package to make a quick meal. Then usually a package of Top Ramen.

For 48+ hours I will add Mountain House Pro-Paks or Mary Janes meals (1 or 2), a package or two of instant potatoes (breakfast) and another package of Ramen.

In the winter I use an MSR White Gas stove and larger pot to allow for melting snow.

Occasionally, if our team is working with Military Helo's or NPS/USFS personnel we'll get MRE's to take. I have carried MRE's but I find they are heavy, overpackaged, and have too many things I won't eat or don't need so I try to strip them down to the essentials if I do carry them.

- DH

Wintersgill

I plan for a 24 hour stay. I take trail mix, couple of bars, gummi bears and instant soup packs or instant oatmeal. I like to have something in my pack in case we come across a small kid like candy of some sort (hence the gummy bears).

Spikepretorius

Explorer
I was chatting to a guy recently who only carries packets of whey protein powder. Mix with water, down the hatch, and done. Might be good idea.

The gummi bear idea is a good one. I must do that.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Mountain house, all you need is hot water and you are done! Yum-Yum

Mountain House®, the #1 brand of freeze dried backpacking foods has been the choice of backpackers, hikers, campers, and other outdoor enthusiasts for over 30 years. When it comes to long term food storage, emergency preparedness and recreational activities like camping, hiking, backpacking and hunting, Mountain House® is the #1 choice. That's because Mountain House® has been recognized as the best tasting freeze dried meals. Mountain House®, is convenient, easy to prepare and has a long shelf life.

Pat Caulfield

24 hour pack:
Cliff bars
Honey Stingers
Jerky
2-PBJs (If I remember to make them)
1-MRE

If I am lucky, my two PBJs survive until I remember they are in the pack.

One of the guys has a method to make a two layer PBJ (2 sandwichs) with the jelly on the both sides of the middle piece of bread to keep the sandwich from sogging out.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
As other:
Day
Trail mix for snacking
Cliff bars for getting through the day (I'm not a fan of them, so that is why I carry them. That way I don't eat them unless I'm hunger)
An apple or two dropped into the daypack, just prior to heading out.
1 ration of dog food - YES for the 'search dog', not me.

Day+
As above plus
Coffee, Hot Choc, tea mix (as much for a found subject as myself)
Stripped down MREs (as other have stated, I just don't just throw the bag in, I mix and match for the single items that I want)
1 can (yes can) of beef stew. (Super quick to heat in it's can for quick meal, or for the subject)
More figgin' food for the dog....and don't get me started on how much 'dog water' weights :)

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
I usually carry a bunch of energy bars, a bag of raisons, a bunch of electrolyte/vitamin-powder packs to add to my water, a can of fish - either smoked oysters/sardines in tomato sauce/tuna in water, some melba-toasts or crackers to go with the fish, some jerky, and some candy. I pretty much repeat that by how many days I am out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles