My camping trailer fixup

grimbo

Explorer
Well here's my camping trailer. It started life as a work trailer for a Telecom company. It housed a generator on one side and has storage racks on the other side. It is a nice sturdy little trailer with butterfly lids that do a great job of keeping the weather out.

It currently rides on 31x10.50 tyres which will be upgraded to some much better condition tyres.It has an average strength frame which I plan to upgrade to box tube soon and to upgrade the standard hitch to an offroad suitable one soon.

Other future mods will include a clean down and repaint in white, LED trailer lights, add some framework and brackets to hold some propane tanks and jerry cans. wire up the trailer so it will charge the Waeco Coolpower

GetImage.aspx
which will run some LED strip lights and power my camping lights. I prefer the portable battery setup as it allows me to use the pack in the tent or away from the trailer.

Anyway here are some crappy phone pics to give you an idea of what it is

IMG_1738.jpg

IMG_1737.jpg

and the plans for it

trailerideas.jpg

Last edited:

JPK

Explorer
Thats a neat trailer!

Anyone know where to get the Waeco CoolPower RAP 36 here in the states?

JPK

grimbo

Explorer
what are people using for paint/rust removal? I've got a couple of the nylon? abrasive disc attachments for my drill. The rust isn't a big problem, more surface rust in places. I was thinking of hitting some awkward areas with rust converter and the rest stripping back. his is only a short term solution as when the trailer will get the new frame built next year I will get the body sand blasted and powdercoated.

Also when I get to that point how are people attaching their trailer bodies tp the frames. Are you direct welding or using body mounts similar to those used on vehicles or just bolting?

grimbo

Explorer
did a basic clean up and dodgy paint job to get it ready for Easter trip. Here are a couple of pics but I didn't get any real good shots as I kinda forgot to take any.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1875.jpg
    IMG_1875.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1876.jpg
    IMG_1876.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_1936.jpg
    IMG_1936.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 6,611
  • IMG_1885.jpg
    IMG_1885.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 118

DeMented Toys

Adventurer
SWEET. Im currently building a trailer from a similar construction compressor trailer. Any more pictures or updates of yours?

grimbo

Explorer
No more updates, probably be upgrading to a camper trailer soon. Aussie style, so basically a 7x4 trailer with a fold out canvas tent. I kinda want to keep this one as a bit of project just so I have something to tinker with. It has so much potential that it would be a shame to sell it

grimbo

Explorer
Plans have changed again. After checking out a bunch of camper trailers we just can't see the point in upgrading. We'll just get a http://www.blackwolf.com.au/turbo-lite/turbo-lite-plus/, upgrade a couple camping stretchers and that takes care of the accommodation.

On to the trailer. Will build some attachments for tent poles so I can run a tarp off the trailer to cover the kitchen area. Next will be ditching the cheapy trailer lights and running an LED strip light that also indicates. Get the Jerry can and propane tank mounts sorted.

Run a length of square bar from front to rear to allow for a rear hitch to mount a removable bike rack and to allow for an adjustable tongue length st the front. Mount the spare wheel to the front with a factory Nissan Patrol mount.

Inside of the trailer needs a tidy up, the left side currentLy has three sections that go from floor to the height of the side wall. Makes it a pain to store things. Will remove one or maybe both of these to give more usable space for all the bulky stuff like chairs, tables, stretchers etc. Also need to put some more LED strip lights on this side.

The right side will get some rubber matting or marine carpet on the shelves. Then just need to sort my packing out and getting it all sorted better with cutlery, crockery, cooking gear etc

Final thing is new bearings, electric brakes and some new tyres

grimbo

Explorer
d31c80df-85ea-f9b4.jpg

d31c80df-8602-caab.jpg

d31c80df-861d-b690.jpg

d31c80df-8634-eced.jpg

d31c80df-864b-71ee.jpg

d31c80df-867c-d569.jpg

Sort of got a few things done today. Now due to a lack if funds and skills I tend to try and use things I can bolt on and find cheaply at the hardware store.

The brackets on the side are usually for storing lumber on walls in sheds etc. They are the perfect size for my 10l water Jerry cans. Eventually there will be four of them mounted to the sides, each side of the fenders on each side if the trailer. They are also acting as extra braces for the bench top.

The propane tanks are hanging off the two sturdy hooks on the back if the trailer. They are spaced off the trailer by two bump stops which compress when tightened with the strap. Will also add two over centre latch to pull them down tight.

Put in some LED strips on the inside of each lid. Puts out heaps of light. I run them off the Waeco cool power battery. Will also put sone exterior LEDs as well.

Quality wise a fair way off most if the builds but it does the job for us.

grimbo

Explorer
Just got a whole bunch of Quick fists to mount a long handled shovel to one if the lids, plus a couple of entrenching tools and a few other things.

Whole family is gagging to get out camping again now the weather is warming up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier