2.0 vs. 2.5 Shocks

Paladin

Banned
What are you expecting out of a larger/better shock? A shock dampens your suspension and the bumps you hit, they do not help to control sway around corners or carry your load better. That is the job of your springs

Not true. Shocks absolute help to control roll during transient manoevers.

Another plus with remote reservoir, you should get more shock travel out of a given overall shock length.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Not true. Shocks absolute help to control roll during transient manoevers.

Another plus with remote reservoir, you should get more shock travel out of a given overall shock length.

Agreed. You'll notice a huge difference in handling. Ill probably get hammered for this, but the first thing to go on my Superduty was the sway bar, and the first thing on was a set of Bilsetien 5150's. It handles on and off road much better. But, its only leveled and I dont tow or haul really heavy loads like 5th wheels, multiple car trailer, etc.

If you are on a budget and have some patience, used (fox, SAW, King, etc) 2.0's & 2.5's come up on craigslist all the time. Figure out your shock stroke length and do some searches. You should be able to find a good used set. Also check out Race Dezert the classified section will have some. I still think 2.5's would be overkill in your situation.

Fish

Adventurer
If you are on a budget and have some patience, used (fox, SAW, King, etc) 2.0's & 2.5's come up on craigslist all the time. Figure out your shock stroke length and do some searches. You should be able to find a good used set. Also check out Race Dezert the classified section will have some. I still think 2.5's would be overkill in your situation.

Note that the OP is in Ontario.... and not the one in the Inland Empire. Might not find too many used Kings in the great white north. Or for that matter, anyone to valve them. But I've been wrong before!

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I had SAW 2.25's before getting Don Thuren-valved 2.5 Kings. These are an enormous improvement over the SAW's. The vehicle w/wet camper,full tank and two occupants is 9000#. The King's fit the bill.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Note that the OP is in Ontario.... and not the one in the Inland Empire. Might not find too many used Kings in the great white north. Or for that matter, anyone to valve them. But I've been wrong before!

OOPS!! :Wow1: I wasn't even paying attention. Well, good luck with your choice Alex. I hope at least one of us was of help. Keep us posted, and throw some picks up of the shocks when you get them on the 4runner!!

AlexJet

Explorer
Considering additional weight, I decided to go with 2.5" non-res option, as at that travel, size and fact they are rear I should be fine.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Well it sounds like you have already made up your mind but I would encourage you to get them with the remotes. Not only for additionally heat dissipation but also for extended PM intervals (more oil volume). If you don't have enough space for piggyback style you could always mount the remote cans to the rear cross member (or?) with appropriately long hoses...

AlexJet

Explorer
Well it sounds like you have already made up your mind but I would encourage you to get them with the remotes. Not only for additionally heat dissipation but also for extended PM intervals (more oil volume). If you don't have enough space for piggyback style you could always mount the remote cans to the rear cross member (or?) with appropriately long hoses...

This an additional $150. I've already signed myself for extra $150 to go with 2.5 over 2.0, so it's over the budget.
I'm not doing high speed runs in the desert.

angusdevil

Adventurer
X2 on remotes. I have piggybacks on my truck now and saving up for new shocks because I have thoroughly smashed them up on the rocks. Has nothing to do with high speed but more about clearance.

AlexJet

Explorer
I've talked to Radflo rep and he agrees that 2.5 non-res will be fine for me. He said I even could of go with 2.0 non-res, but it may put shock at the limit at extreme condition, which I probably will not get into anyway. It's primarily an expedition truck which sees trails as well

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Sounds like you compromised and met in the middle. Right on! You should be happy with the 2.5 Radflo's. Happy and safe Travels!

Rev

Adventurer
Alex, I hope you will get that beast out for a run with us this season. Have you done anything other to it than plan for shocks since last time I saw it.

AlexJet

Explorer
Alex, I hope you will get that beast out for a run with us this season. Have you done anything other to it than plan for shocks since last time I saw it.

With a second child not much. :)

Oh, year, I converted my truck to 7-passenger. Had to remove all interior and basically cut/weld everything past the front doors. You should see it, looks nice and clean, even dealer can't figure out my installation.

Was working on the wife's truck as well.

I need to rebuild my 3rd which hope will do in April.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne