3rd gen "tailgate" mod...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
One thing I dislike about the 3rd gen 4runner is the one piece lift gate. Now it's true, the liftgate has some advantages over the drop-gate of the 1st and 2nd gens (for example your lift gate is still usable even if the rear window won't roll down) but I miss having a tailgate for cooking or just as a way to make the cargo compartment a bit longer.

Also, I hate the fact that any loose gear tends to roll towards the liftgate and when you open the gate, it falls on the ground.

So, I got to thinking about it and came up with this set up. Of course, it could work with other SUVs besides the 4runner, as long as it has the same general setup.

2011_0312_175444AA.jpg

Now keep in mind a couple of things:

1. This is not designed for sitting on or bearing weight.

2. It's made up (mostly) from stuff I already had in the garage, like 5/8" plywood. You could make a more "rugged" setup with more/heavier materials, but I used what I had.

3. Total cost was maybe $20 - $30 worth of parts.

The most difficult part was figuring how to mount the base to the truck. I finally decided to use the screws that hold the tailgate trim piece (not sure what it's called) to the body. I used wood screws, which seem to work OK but sheet metal screws would probably be better. For a stronger setup you might want to actually bolt something through the body of the truck although I wouldn't want to go that far.

Here's the screws I took out to mount the base piece:

2011_0312_151058AA.jpg

The upper support is a furring strip that fits into the slot formerly occupied by the cargo cover. Since my 4runner's cargo cover was lost, I figured I'd put the still-existing slots to use. Support is by way of a couple of pieces of 550 cord (parachute cord.)

2011_0312_175435AA.jpg

In the "stowed" position it looks like this. As you can see, not only is it out of the way but it will protect things from falling out of the back.

2011_0312_175419AA.jpg

This is what it looks like from the inside with the lift gate closed. As you can see, the support bar keeps the gate from falling forward. You can also see the continuous (piano) hinge that I used to attach the gate to the base.

2011_0312_175115AA.jpg

This is the highly sophisticated "lock" system that keeps the panel from dropping down when I open the liftgate. Two wood screws and a rubber band.

2011_0312_175357AA.jpg

So far it seems to be solid, and best of all, I can easily remove it by taking out the screws on the base and removing the support bar. My upcoming Death Valley trip will be the test.

Should be a good platform for cooking:

2011_0312_175514AA.jpg

Anyone who wants specifications (such as they are) can email or PM me. I didn't really have 'plans' I just stared off with measurements I wanted (45" wide by 20" high) and went from there. Took me the better part of the afternoon but I'm pleased with the results.

CYi5

Explorer
Great idea man, lacking the tailgate is my biggest gripe about the 3rdG! There are screws mounting the cargo cover nooks into the side panels, correct? Couldn't you eliminate the wood crossbar all together?

Last edited:

JeepTreeHouse

Adventurer
That looks cool and very usefull. I have been toying with the idea of doing somthing like that for a while. That might have just given me the inspiration to do it! 2 weeks till my own cross country expeditionary trip... I might have to get on that

mosupernak

Adventurer
Great idea! I'm finishing up a steel framed sleeping platform/drawer system in the back of my 3rd gen maybe I'll steal your idea and wield in a heavy duty version.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Great idea man, lacking the tailgate is my biggest gripe about the 3rdG! There are screws mounting the cargo cover nooks into the side panels, correct? Couldn't you eliminate the wood crossbar all together?

Oh, I probably could but the crossbar serves two other functions besides holding the support cords: It prevents the tailgate from flopping forward in the stowed position, and it holds the rubber band that loops around the top of the tailgate to keep it from dropping back when the liftgate is open.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
COOL!!!!!! Great bit of homebrew tech you've come up with there mate. I can honestly say I've NEVER seen anything like that, but it's such a simple, great idea.

I agree with your assessment of the 3rd Gen. Love the Lift-gate since the rear window in my 1st Gen is a PITA, BUT, I do love my tail-gate too eh... Now I gotta get to cutting a piece of SS to "re-skin" my TG.

Nicely done mate, I really lioke what you came up with and there's so much more you could do with it. What about some side paneles that fold out like wings to either side for added space??? Just knocking around an idea, and of course this could be made VERY stoutly espescialy if you had a crago-drawer/sleeping platform in there to attatch it too as well. AS is, you made something really simple, BUT OH SO COOL!!!!

Cheers

Dave

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I may pursue some kind of drawer/shelf system later on but I'm reluctant to do anything that would compromise the all-purpose nature of the 4runner. One requirement I have for all mods is that they have to be 100% reversible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles