Anybody have a WJ?

RU55ELL

Explorer
I haven't seen any on here but figured someone would have some good info. They can be found for pretty cheap even with a 4.7 V8. I'm not too keen on the unibody construction but I also doubt that I would wheel it hard enough to tweak the body. The solid axle really appeals to me though and Wranglers are way too expensive to be as small as they are. I have a wife and 2, soon to be 3 kids and need the room.

I used to work at a Dodge dealer but I can't remember how the interior is on them. I do know that the XJs tranny tunnel are too wide and it puts my leg at an angle that kills my knee.

Any goodies that I should look for when I try to find one to buy? Any problem areas? Basically I'm looking for any and all good info about them. Is there any reasons why I should stay away from a WJ and buy a ZJ instead?

juicexj24

Observer
http://www.wjjeeps.com

is a great place to start for a lot of your questions. I have a 2004 with the 4.0 inline 6. 4" Iron Rock/JKS/KOR/OME Lift. 235/85/16 BFG AT's, some skids and tow points. I too have two kids and the room is very nice and I just sold my XJ because of the room reason, the WJ backseat is a lot bigger and the leg room is great upfront. I haven't had a problem with my 04 but my old 00 cracked a piston skirt and that was the end of it back last summer but it had several electrical problems (used fleet Jeep from the State of NY). Change the oil and go.
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com
is a good place to start for lift kits and what not.

FishPOET

Adventurer
Other good websites would be http://www.nagca.com/ and http://www.mallcrawlin.com/

I have a 2004 WJ 4.7 & 1996 ZJ 5.2

Grand Cherokees are wonderful platforms for expedition vehicles.

164585_1696118494599_1586948477_1562487_5743581_n.jpg

198580_1761228642312_1586948477_1674250_5348885_n.jpg

3Deserts

Observer
Technically, I still have mine, but the engine died 10 days ago. It's a 2001 4.7 60th Anniversary, with new UpCountry springs, MX6 shocks, uprated sway bar, JKS disconnects, all new bushings, OME SS, Bridgestone Dueler Revos (can't remember size, but larger than stock), KOR rock sliders, and a few other odds and ends.

It's a good platform, and an outstanding platform for double duty as a moderate overland vehicle and family vehicle. My son's almost 3, and we've taken many trips with him from as young as 4 months up until now, on road, off road, in snow, in sand, with or without inlaws, and it's been a very friendly vehicle in serving both needs.

If the WJ had a manual transmission, I'd probably pay to keep it running, but it doesn't, my son's mother doesn't want to drive it anymore (prefers the Subaru), and so it goes to whomever will pay the most for an otherwise good vehicle--sans working motor.

One liability, should you ever want to put lockers in it: the rear axle diff carrier is aluminum, and while there are some solutions for putting a locker in there, I'd say it's generally accepted that it's a bad idea. You'll need a whole new axle: expensive. IRR does make a fantastic kit for it though.

More broadly, there's an ever increasing selection of aftermarket support for the WJs, so have fun with it.

Travelmore

Adventurer
Like any vehicle they have pro's and con's but I would say go for the WJ over the ZJ. I have a 2003 WJ with the 4.0l Our most notable trip was from Oregon to the 4 corners area and back including driving the entire White Rim trail and many other unimproved roads. We did that trip 'stock' and had no issues. I think my favorite no cost mod was removing the seat bottoms for that trip. Doing so enabled my wife and I (6'1" tall) to sleep in the Jeep with a SUV air mattress. We spent most days in the tent but when it was snowing at Bryce Canyon it was nice to be in the Jeep.

RU55ELL

Explorer
Hmm, I didn't know the carrier is aluminum. Is adding the lockers the problem, or is it lockers with large tires?

3Deserts

Observer
Hmm, I didn't know the carrier is aluminum. Is adding the lockers the problem, or is it lockers with large tires?

The locker, irrespective of tire size.

That said, like I said, some people have done it. It's only this past week--upon the occasion of my WJ's death--that I'd started reading Jeepforums again, and discovered that one or two more companies seem to be making lockers for it now, but I think anyone who takes the long, conservative view on durability and reliability would probably agree that it's not really a good bet, and the larger the tires, the less safe that bet becomes. But I'm no expert, so I'd seek other opinions. That is, if you think a locker might matter to you in the future. But it is one of those surprises of ownership I missed before I bought mine, and it's one thing I was kind of irked about.

RU55ELL

Explorer
The locker, irrespective of tire size.

:(

A rear locker is something that I would not give up.

Alex, thanks for the link. That WJ is sex. :drool:

EDIT: I'm reading a bit about the Vari-lok and Quadra-Trak systems and see they have a sort of limited slip diff system. Do they wear as quickly as the old viscous couplers?

FishPOET

Adventurer
One liability, should you ever want to put lockers in it: the rear axle diff carrier is aluminum, and while there are some solutions for putting a locker in there, I'd say it's generally accepted that it's a bad idea. You'll need a whole new axle: expensive. IRR does make a fantastic kit for it though.

Dana 44HD a
Ring Gear Diameter = 8.5"
Pinion Shaft Diameter = 1.625"
Ring Gear Bolt Count = 10
Pinion Spline = 29
Cover Bolt Count = 10
Axle Spline Count = 30

I have had an Aussie locker in my ZJ Dana 44HDa for 4 years on 33s and 35s without any trouble whatsoever. I would not suggest swapping a Dana 44HDa in but for those of us that have them they work just fine. There are many ZJ and WJ owners that are very happy to have the Dana 44HDa versus the alternative of the Dana 35.

3Deserts

Observer
Doug, is there a difference between the Dana 44HDa and 44a? Or are most of the references I've read to a 44a just shorthand for the 44HDa?

FishPOET

Adventurer
Doug, is there a difference between the Dana 44HDa and 44a? Or are most of the references I've read to a 44a just shorthand for the 44HDa?

To the best of my knowledge it is referred to as the Dana 44HD. We add the "a" so everyone knows we are discussing the Dana 44 with the aluminum center section.

juicexj24

Observer
Thanks Juice! How does the I6 do on the highway loaded down?

If I did it over, I would have the 4.7 V8 but it's do able if you punch it going up long steap grades. Think 40W going accross Tenn before the time change on that mountain, 3100 rpm the whole way up at 75mph. It will do it but I don't like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles