Light Bar?

Silverwulf

Adventurer
Anyone here have lights on their roof rack or roof light bar? I have been thinking about it but want more info on the wiring.

Do you REALLY have to drill a hole in a perfectly good roof to run the wires to the lights?

:yikes:

Anyone here have lights on their roof rack or roof light bar? I have been thinking about it but want more info on the wiring.

Do you REALLY have to drill a hole in a perfectly good roof to run the wires to the lights?

:yikes:

Like this? These are some OEM Mitsubishi Offroad lights mounted on a Defender 48x24x4 roof rack. The roof rack has 4 mounting tabs in the front for offroad lights and 2 additional tabs on the rear of the rack for whatever. I have these lights wired to a switch in my cab from www.otrattw.com

4685921469_42d5567a95_z.jpg

ColinTheCop

Adventurer
When I had roof lights I ran the wires down the windscreen pillar, into the engine compartment and through the bulkhead.

I just taped them to the piller with black duck tape. It looked neat enough and worked well.

Like you, I couldn't face drilling a hole.

Silverwulf

Adventurer
Cool PUP.

I was thinking the same as far as running the wiring down the A pillar. But what about rear facing lights?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Assuming they'll be mounted to some sort of rack, just run the cables along the length to the rack to the front.

Use those rain gutters to your advantage.:ylsmoke:

I also like the black tape idea.

On my Gen I have had rearward facing fog pattern lamps (Hella Micro FF) and used a standard trailer wiring harness spliced into the lights. When not in use (on road), I simply unpluged the power wires and kept them in back. When in use, I simply ran out the rear door and plugged them into the female connector (with an integrated cover) at the light.

Also, instead of using the normal/common split wire loom to sheath the wires, I instead used a braided plastic wiring loom on the wires. This way, it still helped to protect them from any possible abrasion while allowing any water to drain instead of collect.:ylsmoke:

HTH.

Silverwulf

Adventurer
"I instead used a braided plastic wiring loom on the wires. This way, it still helped to protect them from any possible abrasion while allowing any water to drain instead of collect. "

I was thinking of doing the same thing. I think the split conduit is a good way to introduce moisture into the cabin on wet days. The braided stuff will let the h2o escape prior to cabin entry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles