Synthetic rope on seldom-used M8000?

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Is it worth upgrading to synthetic rope on my Warn M8000 for the purpose of weight savings if the winch is very seldom used?

For example, if 5 years goes by without having to use the winch for vehicle recovery, I can count on wire rope. It's not going to deteriorate within that time, unless it succumbs to rust - which isn't a problem so far.

Does this hold true for synthetic winch rope?

AFSOC

Explorer
Is it worth upgrading to synthetic rope on my Warn M8000 for the purpose of weight savings if the winch is very seldom used?

For example, if 5 years goes by without having to use the winch for vehicle recovery, I can count on wire rope. It's not going to deteriorate within that time, unless it succumbs to rust - which isn't a problem so far.

Does this hold true for synthetic winch rope?

I am in similar circumstances as you in the fact that I am NOT a power user either. I've used my M8000 five times in three years. I switched to Amsteel Blue for the safety advantage only. I gladly accept the accompanying advantages of ease of use and weight reduction but wouldn't swap from cable to rope for those factors by themselves. The weight savings is nice but is largely theoretical. You still have a heavier than stock bumper and 55+lbs of winch levered at the very front end of your vehicle, not ideal. When I mounted my bumper and winch, I didn't like the seat of the pants affect it had on my steering and braking (as measured by the seat of the pants). Switching to synthetic line didn't restore any of the stock feel. Swapping my Cherokee OME front springs for OME Grand Cherokee springs did help the feel of the steering and maybe heavy braking (debatable).

I would certainly replace the seeping plastic tanked radiator before swapping cable for rope if it were my checkbook. The cable will work, the rope is safer, nicer to work with and a few pounds lighter. UV is probably a bigger factor to lifespan for you than abrasion, but your ARB shades the drum doesn't it? If it weren't for the price tag the choice would be easy.

Expedition Leader
"Is it worth it" is a question only you can answer. Personally I love synthetic line and run it on two winches (on two different trucks), so it is worth it to me. One of them is an M8000 and the line on that one is 4.5 years old and shows no sign of degradation. I like the ease of use and the safety better than the weight savings though; not sure it would be worth it for the weight savings alone.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Synthetic rope is lighter safer is some places. There is an often over looked downfall to rope. Abrasion you run roads small rocks and dirt twigs get worked in to the line is rubs and efictivly cuts the line. So you have alot more care with it you need to un spool it more often and clean it keep the sun off of the rope. Like any thing there is maitnace just alot more on rope and than conventinal cable. Just some thing to add to thoughts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94