Rango.....1942 Willys MB

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Awesome job on the packing.

It reminds me of the packing I used to do for my and my wife in my YJ. We had me, my wife and a 90lb chocolate lab and would spend a week at a time in the desert of Northern Nevada, with no chance for re-supply, so we had to take everything with us. Like you, I got real good at finding those little nooks and crannies to fit things into.

Good luck on the trip!!!

Jack

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I'm loving that first picture ... and it's amazing what you can do to cram random stuff into the various nooks and crannies, when you're forced to! I'm curious to read the writeup on your thoughts about packing for this trip ... specifically thoughts on spares and personal emergency gear (as opposed to personal 'luggage' type stuff), sometimes it's so easy to fall into the 'well I've got the room, might as well have it and not need it' mentality, and wind up bringing the kitchen sink (quite literally sometimes).

Thanks. You definitely have to think out of the box to get THAT much stuff into such a small space without it spilling over the sides. I try and think like I am taking a motorcycle instead of a jeep. I generally try and define the amount of space, like picking a bag that fits in a certain spot, and then only taking what I can fit in that bag that still lets it fit into that space. I try and keep thing organized into groups ( usually by bag ) in a hope that I can find that I am looking for when I need it. When packing this tight sometimes you have to think about how likely it is that you will use a piece of kit and not bury it too far.

Personal emergency gear. If you want a clarification on any specific area let me know. I generally look at the entire vehicle as my survival kit. I have camping gear that will work in the wet or in the cold. I have plenty of clothes for just about any weather condition including full rain gear. I have a good first aid kit that isn't your normal boo-boo and bandaid type stuff. I try and keep about 4 gallons of water in the vehicle at all time. In general I am the kinda guy that would be find in an ultra-emergency with what I have in my pockets right now. I never leave home without the basics...knife, lighter, light. I have a CB system in the vehicle per the rules of the trip, but generally I carry my ham radio HT and a repeater database book.

Spares. The vehicle is pretty old, but I have pretty much rebuilt the entire thing over the last three years. There isn't really anything stock. When building I tried to use a lot of common parts for wear items. This vehicle is also VERY simple......carb'd, manual transmission, leaf springs, etc. A rough list of my vehicle specific spare parts....

-Rear driveline with 2 new u-joints pre-installed
-10 spline 1310 yoke that will fit either output on the transfer case.
-26 spline 1310 yoke that will fit either axle pinion front or rear
-2 sets replacement u-bolts for driveline yokes
-soft brake line that is common to all 4 corners
-2 feet fuel line
-alternator/waterpump belt
-tie rod end, 1 left, 1 right
-1pr replacement spring bushings poly, 1 pr brass
-spindle nuts
-Spare tire and a plug/patch kit with onboard air
-Duct tape, tie wire, hose clamps, and zip ties.
-bolt bag with enough stuff to hit most of the common sizes in the vehicle
-wiring kit ( fuses, connectors, little bit of wire )
-2 quarts engine oil
-1 quart gear oil
-1 quart power steering fluid
-1 quart brake fluid
-enough tools to basically rebuild the vehicle from scratch ( it doesn't take much, its pretty simple )

It is always a balance in space and weight.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Weight...

I don't know how accurate these scales are but they should probably be about +/- 20lbs according to the old cert I found in the box....

These where taken without passengers and minus the co-drivers gear. I would say optimistically that would add about 180+125+40ish= 345ish to go!

Total = 3460lbs
Front axle = 1720lbs
Drivers front = 860lbs
Passenger front = 860lbs
Rear axle = 1740lbs
Drivers rear tire = 900lbs
Passenger rear tire = 840lbs

That is fully packed and totally full of fuel. With the additional 345lbs that will put the total vehicle weight at 3805lbs! What a little piggy!

It is what it is. I have added a decent amount of stuff over the years. Once I get back I will strip it down and get a bare weight to compare. Weight adds up REALLY fast. Keep that in mind when your building!

skibum315

Explorer
Little piggy ... if you say so ... and maybe it is so, for an open body small rollerskate like your flatfender; what were you hoping for? Considering one sees 6-7k type numbers for the loaded out, full-bodied late-model rigs like 4-Door JKs and built Xterras (I came into the hobby from the Nissan world), that 3800 doesn't sound all that bad!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Little piggy ... if you say so ... and maybe it is so, for an open body small rollerskate like your flatfender; what were you hoping for? Considering one sees 6-7k type numbers for the loaded out, full-bodied late-model rigs like 4-Door JKs and built Xterras (I came into the hobby from the Nissan world), that 3800 doesn't sound all that bad!

It's not THAT bad really, but you always hope for less. On this trip I had to reconfigure some gear placement from past trips and I think that moved some weight back in the chassis. It is still very balanced really, but it could always be better. The spare tire alone is 74 lbs of added weight over my previous trip. When I 1st built the car it weighed JUST under 3000lbs wet with a half tank and some misc junk in the tool boxes. People are going to be 305lbs or so on this trip. That means roughly gear/equipment is about 500lbs. I know I have changed some stuff on the vehicle lately like adding some skidplates, moving the battery, remaking some of the floor, etc. There is a LOT of gear stuffed in the vehicle.

It's an entirely different vehicle than a JKU, 80 serie, or Xterra. It is rather low tech however, there really isn't much aluminum in the vehicle at all....front diff cover, air intake, fuel tank, and the gear shifters. The rest is steel and cast iron!

teleturns

Adventurer
I saw you go through Pagosa yesterday. Man that Jeep looks tough!:sombrero:

I wish I would have known you were in town and I would have bought you a beer.....

jscusmcvet

Explorer
The additions you have done have gained weight, but I think oh so needed as you go out on this adventure. I am, as I am sure we all are, green with envy. Keep us posted enroute or when you get back!

Lee_N

I was heading West on I80 today when I saw some heavily modified 4x4s heading East. Wondered if they could be the Ultimate Adventure when I saw a little green flattie drive by. Enjoy the fun Metcalf!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I'm back home! I survived the trip well. The total mileage was 3148 miles in about 12 days which 4 of where 'trail' days.
It was an epic trip of a lifetime, it will take me a few days to recover and start gathering my thoughts.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Congrats and that is awesome. Looking forward to what you can share. I see that Banks had a sidewinder turbo LJ on the trip as well.

Jack

MTWheeler

Observer
Favorite picture by far! That is some super deep water for a flattie!! She sure looks like she did awesome!!! Enjoyed reading about it!
ultimate-adventure-tug-truck-water-recovery.jpg

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Favorite picture by far! That is some super deep water for a flattie!! She sure looks like she did awesome!!! Enjoyed reading about it!
View attachment 250706

The water got deeper!

That is why I was on a rope on the way back. After 50+ vehicles worth of traffic the sandy bottom was only washing away more making it deeper. The hood on the flat fender is about 42.5" tall....

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Great write up and I'm with you, with water that deep, I would have taken the rope as well. Deep water makes me nervous and I have a healthy respect for it.

Have you made any changes post trip? Or have you kind of been in decompression mode?

Jack

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Great write up and I'm with you, with water that deep, I would have taken the rope as well. Deep water makes me nervous and I have a healthy respect for it.

Have you made any changes post trip? Or have you kind of been in decompression mode?

Jack

No big changes post trip.....well other than my radiator had a cracked tube that developed after the trip so I had to replace that. I think it was damaged in shipping and finally gave out after the trip.
Other than that it just got a little clean out, some new seat belts, and a few misc things.

I would say the flat fender has proved itself in pretty much every way now. It is going to be 'done' for the near future. I have been working on designing a new car for a few years and am moving forward with that project.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne