Where to do oil changes on long road trips ?

Jean-Seb

Adventurer
I'm going on a long road trip this summer and am not sure where I could do my own oil changes. For the record, I am NOT paying someone else or a shop to do them. :p

So does anyone know where is it legal or accepted to do so ?

There would be no spills and I would dispose of it properly (obviously).

D

Deleted member 9101

just buy the supplies and a really cheap drain pan. Do the oil change, and drop the drain pan off at autozone with the old oil in it.

Jean-Seb

Adventurer
Well, what I wanna know is where to do it. I'd keep my pan, pour the old oil in an empty jug, clean my pan as I usually do. :D

D

Deleted member 9101

I'd have no problem doing it at a truck stop...or the auto parts store parking lot.. but I am also not very bashful...lol

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
How long of a trip are you going on? Why not change it before you go and then when you get back?

Jean-Seb

Adventurer
A quick search gives me about 12,000 miles. I already use full-synthetic oil, but I keep my intervals short for safety, hence the need to change it a few times. :D

D

Deleted member 9101

A quick search gives me about 12,000 miles. I already use full-synthetic oil, but I keep my intervals short for safety, hence the need to change it a few times. :D

I have always gone 10k in between oil changed with synthetic. At 5k I change the filter and add a QT.

D

Deleted member 12023

Night time changes while camping. I have also done them in Walmart parking lots as well. Most part stores will take the oil.

You really need to visit www.bobistheoilguy.com
A "few times"! in 12000 miles using synthetic??
What kind of vehicle/engine do you have?
You are wasting $$ and oil changing it every 3-4000 miles especially with long distance driving.
I am in the middle of a long Australia trip. I changed my oil before I left home with 29L of Delvac 1 SHC synthetic. I plan to change it again before I ship to Malaysia, with 800hrs and 28,000 miles on the oil.
I wouldn't do this if I wasn't sure the factory backed me up; they recommend 1200 hr changes with Mercedes approved synthetic.
I suspect if you read your owners' manual and talked to someone who really understands oil, you could easily go 12000 miles between changes this summer.

Charlie

Jean-Seb

Adventurer
Night time changes while camping. I have also done them in Walmart parking lots as well. Most part stores will take the oil.
Nice, good plan. Thanks for the input. :D

You really need to visit www.bobistheoilguy.com
A "few times"! in 12000 miles using synthetic??
What kind of vehicle/engine do you have?
You are wasting $$ and oil changing it every 3-4000 miles especially with long distance driving.
I am in the middle of a long Australia trip. I changed my oil before I left home with 29L of Delvac 1 SHC synthetic. I plan to change it again before I ship to Malaysia, with 800hrs and 28,000 miles on the oil.
I wouldn't do this if I wasn't sure the factory backed me up; they recommend 1200 hr changes with Mercedes approved synthetic.
I suspect if you read your owners' manual and talked to someone who really understands oil, you could easily go 12000 miles between changes this summer.

Charlie
Thanks for your reply, but this is like comparing raspberries and watermelons. It's a 4-door sedan with a 2.3L 4 cylinder gas engine. And I'm not wasting money, spending more, but not wasting. :sombrero: It's peace of mind. :D

Thanks for your input. :)

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Thanks for your reply, but this is like comparing raspberries and watermelons. It's a 4-door sedan with a 2.3L 4 cylinder gas engine.

I grew up in Britain where the standard oil change interval for all vehicles I've ever come across is 12000 miles or 12 months. I was surprised to see oil changes at 3000 miles when I moved to the USA. Either American engine oil is complete junk and doesn't last, or we're being scammed.

Jean-Seb

Adventurer
I grew up in Britain where the standard oil change interval for all vehicles I've ever come across is 12000 miles or 12 months. I was surprised to see oil changes at 3000 miles when I moved to the USA. Either American engine oil is complete junk and doesn't last, or we're being scammed.

Hehe, or both. :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke