Help with Triton Tankless H2O

Need For Speed

Supporting Sponsor
I need some help with my Triton tankless water heater. bought it a few months ago, and finally had a nice day yesterday to try it out in the driveway.

!CEr)FlQEGk~$(KGrHqUOKkEE0gKqFB-!BNSrE!R7kQ~~_35.JPG

My problem is the 12v water pump flow...

image_6044.jpg

12 Volt Marine Utility Pump
4gpm
10m PSI

I bought this unit at HF and mounted it under the battery box of my M416. the pump works great and the Triton unit will kick on and heat the water very quickly but only on the lowest water volume setting (which dribbles out of the shower head) if I turn up the water output- the triton kicks off.

I understand the the Triton needs a certian amount of constant water pressure to stay lit.

Do I need a lower volume pump and higher pressure?
What are you guys using?

P.S. there is also a small set screw on the bottom of the unit (between the input/output lines) but I can't find any information on what it does?

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
The Triton FAQ says:

"Generally any sur-flow style diaghram pump will do the trick."

The ShurFlo Classic puts out 2.8 gpm, at 45 psi.

http://www.shurflo.com/rv-products/...water-pumps/shurflo-classic-pump/default.html

The Triton page says it requires a minimum of 4psi. It looks like that little HF pump just can't keep the pressure up at high volume. HF shows another pump for 10 bucks more that has a higher rating that should be able to keep up:

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-marine-utility-water-pump-94639.html

The Triton can handle up to 140 psi input, and it will limit the volume, so the bigger HF pump isn't going to exceed the Triton's rating.

I'm not familiar with the HF pump, but from what you describe, that screw may be the adjustment for the pump's shutoff pressure. Probably irrelevant since the pump can't hold the pressure up at full flow anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz