Anyone use a food dehydrator?

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I dont use one for my jerky... i use a electric water smoker instead. Makes terrific jerky. However, don't think you wanna do dried fruit in it LOL.

Just smoked some jerky last weekend as a matter of fact.

master:MEC002.jpg

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Yes.

I used to dry all sorts of vegies for my homemade backpacking meals. This was back when I had tons of time and little money.

My folks made tons of sun dried tomatoes every year and packed them in olive oil:chowtime: They also dried herbs.

I have found the quality of dried fruit at places like Trader Joes to be so good that I would only consider making my own if I had a bunch of extra stuff growing in my yard.

You can also buy dried vegies in bulk online.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
HeHe bumping a two year old thread.

Think about getting one to make some dried fruit. Any suggestions ? Dried fruit is expense at the stores and it would be nice to keep some handy while at work or out biking.

off.track

Adventurer
yeah, i have a nesco one too.. works good.. haven't used it in a long while.. have been thinking of digging it out though... maybe i will now. :)

Blueberry

Can I ask which model of the Nesco food dehydrator do you have? I am thinking about buying one mainly for drying fruits and just can't decide which model to get. I have read this review of Nesco food dehydrator that compares the various models and in the end recommends the FD-75PR model since the lower end models don't have enough power. I am just wondering if the cheaper versions like FD39 have got enough power to dry fruits.

off.track

Adventurer
Can I ask which model of the Nesco food dehydrator do you have? I am thinking about buying one mainly for drying fruits and just can't decide which model to get. I have read this review of Nesco food dehydrator that compares the various models and in the end recommends the FD-75PR model since the lower end models don't have enough power. I am just wondering if the cheaper versions like FD39 have got enough power to dry fruits.

i knew this was going to come back and bite me... i ended up digging mine out. it's already in use. lol

anyway, mine is pre nesco american harvester. the model is FD50/30 550W. yeah, it's not on the list of your choices.. but mine works great on fruit, herbs, jerky.. whatever i have ever tried.. no problem.

before this one i had a dehydrator that didn't even have a fan to move the air around.. it worked fine too but one just had to be patient..

anyway, my model has a temp controls that i always found the most important.. if i was looking for one, that would be the thing that i'd concentrate on.. good temp range..

so, can the 450 do the job? i'd imagine it can it just may be a little slower.. if the next model up is just a few buck more, i'd say get it but if it's like $50 more or something like that, well then that depends if you're a power junky or not. ;) :D

Blueberry

off.track, thanks for the reply. I'll go with the FD75 since it really seems to be the best value for money (and it has temperature control too) and it seems to have good reviews. Thanks for the help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles