Kayaks on Trailer?

mph

Expedition Leader
I have outfitted my trailer with Yakima bars. Just wondering if anyone has some perspective on how to carry two kayaks and which specific rack you have. I am guessing it would be best to carry them upright but not sure...Just want something safe and secure when off payment. Yakima makes about 4 million different kinds of racks:)

Any thoughts and/or pictures would be much appreciated. I am currently looking at the Big Stack Kayak holder made by Yakima.

Thanks,
Mike

D

Deleted member 9101

Here is how I carry mine:

P1030154.jpg

P1030153.jpg

I built the rack, and use Thule "feet" to carry them.

Frankspinz

Adventurer
I carry a canoe, not kayaks ... but sometimes, the simplest solution may be the best. I'd try a universal foam kayak carrier ... They are available in just about any store, Yakima has them also.

Carrying the sideways using the Big Stack is hard on the Kayak. Driving off-road, you'll have to compress them a lot (with the straps) - it all depends on how well your kayaks can take the pressure on their sides. Some kayaks will buckle ... You might want to check with your kayak manufacturer.

I recommend carrying them (upright) as you would paddle them, or upside down, strapped tight in the middle of the hull (over the pads) ... pretty much as in you pics ...

Actually, your current set-up looks fine !

DeMented Toys

Adventurer
Carrying them upside down keeps out mud, rain and debris. I can't think of a reason to carry them right side up, unless you are doing a deep water crossing and need them ready as an escape plan

Lowrange2

Adventurer
They're aren't on a trailer but they are on a set of Yakima Cross bars.

I spent all weekend on some pretty rough roads with the Kayaks loaded this way and had no problem.

2012-05-03_17-58-48_950.jpg

As soon as I get back on my feet I plan to make a rack for the roof of my pop-up camper so I can get some weight off of the Jeep.

atavuss

Adventurer
I own the 1/4 ton Bantam trailer with the Hobie Pro Anger in the picture above. The PA is so wide I cannot carry another yak next to it so I have stacked a Hobie Outback on top of the PA. On rough roads this does not work too well as the foam blocks that I was using between the OB and PA worked loose and flew off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles