Truck schoolin' wanted: Phoenix area

BlueFly

Observer
I'm interested in learning the nuts and bolts of my truck (99 Tacoma) - how to do my own general maintenance and recognize potential problems etc. My goal is to be more prepared, more safe, and more self sufficient on a trip. I'd like to understand what's going on under the hood and not be so much at the mercy of the occasional mechanic who's only interest is in my pocketbook.

Inspired by the generosity of ExPo members, and knowing that there's a bunch of us here in the Phoenix area, I'm wondering if anybody's willing to extend me an invitation the next time you plan to spend a few hours wrenching. If you're willing to share your knowledge while doing so, I have a lot to learn! No task too small - anything from a basic oil change or pre-trip inspection to something more complicated.

I'd be most appreciative, and in exchange, I'm happy to be a gofer, help with clean-up, make a pizza run etc.

Any suggestions on books or other resources that would help would also be great. Thanks!

stainless

Observer
Hey, If you don't get to meet up with anybody from ExPo, you might give TTORA a try. There are alot of TTORA guys out in your area. Good luck.

I've had my '04 Tacoma since it was new. I got to be good friends with the Georgia TTORA guys while I was learning the ins & outs of my truck.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Well, I bought my 2000 tacoma new. Worked at Donahoe Racing. and ended up spending enough time under my tacoma to do it blind. Now I have a 01 4runner which is the same drive train with a 4 link rear instead of leafs. If you want to shoot the s#$@ and drink a couple beers let me know. I've gotten to know this generation yota pretty well.
Almost all of the maintanence is pretty easy and what isn't you can find a write up on www.4x4wire.com or www.yotatech.com
Ask away! or just like the TTORA guys, we can have a wrenching get together to mess with our trucks next time all of us have something new to install or fix.
Take it easy!
:gunt: :)

BlueFly

Observer
Thanks for the ideas and great links. Since this part of the world has opened up to me through ExPo I'm not familiar with all the info available at other sites. Come to think of it, I haven't discovered all there is yet at this site! :)

SOAZ said:
we can have a wrenching get together to mess with our trucks next time all of us have something new to install or fix.
That would be really cool!

Erick Lihme

Observer
Perhaps one of the guys down there could recommend a reputable shop.

First step is to read the owner manual, and follow the service schedule. The things that usually break are fairly predictable, so using a schedule is prudent. Most mechanics at reputable shops are honest and competent , yet not necessarily cheep up front. In the end though you could be ahead, and the resale from documented work increases the resale, even if a Toyota is already easy to sell. Unfortunately every truck I've sold over the decades, I've regreted doing so.

Anything outside the service schedule can be brought up here. And once you become as knowledgeable as SOAZ, then you can feel free to cheat. In fact if you post the mileage on the truck, someone could point out weather or not you should do say, the timing belt or other big stuff. Got 60K or 120K on it yet? I'd help, but I don't know your model very well

BlueFly

Observer
Good advice, Eric. I've got about 97k on the truck now, and since the PO replaced the timing chain, and I just had the clutch replaced, I'm hoping it's just general maintenance for a while.

I'll have to dig up a manual and get a schedule/checklist going...

Erick Lihme

Observer
If you don't know the history, I'd change all the fluids and start counting down the mileage/time from there. Other than that, with the timing chain and clutch out the way, it should be good for awhile. The fan clutch might be next and so on... others know that truck better.

BTW, congrats on the locker.

BlueFly

Observer
I've had the truck for a few years now and aside from bringing it in for regular oil changes, have been depending on my mechanic to apprise me of service needs.

The key word here is "depending".
Erick Lihme said:
BTW, congrats on the locker.
Yeah! And I know all the jokes about now being able to get stuck further away from civilization have a ring of truth- With all the fun I'm having learning what the truck can do and appreciating where it can take me I figure I need to take some responsibility beyond what I've been doing - depending on my mechanic to know and do all.

Like if my fan clutch goes. What's a fan clutch? This is what I'm talkin' about! :)

This is going to be fun - I feel like I'm in a new relationship- that stage where you find yourself wanting to know everything ...

Rexsname

Explorer
The fan clutch acts as a "go between" between the crank shaft and the fan. The fan does not need to run at full speed when the truck is first started up. On the other hand, once it gets up to operating temp. the fan clutch engages and begin to pull a huge amount of air thru the radiator.

If your fan clutch is FUBAR the fan will either run all of the time (noisey, and hard on mpg) or not run at all (hot engine at slow speeds)

As an aside, my father routinely removes the fan alltogether to make it quieter and get better mpg.........I wouldn't recommed it.

REX

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94