Best tire carrier spindles

LJ_24

Adventurer
I have the IPOR spindle... the steel you see, 35 in spare (~ 100 lbs), and a dual Jerry can carrier, so about another 100 lbs. You can jump up and down on it with the arm extended; I'm not an engineer but that's a lot of weight.

As you can see my swing arm is welded to the sleeve and a locking pin is welded to the sleeve as well, locking the arm at a 90* angle when open to prevent damage to the tailgate. Note the simple ramped metal tab with pin hole to capture the locking pin. McMaster-Carr is the source.

Thanks for the help! I took your advice on the grille and added another layer of mesh, Im not sure you remember helping me on the mesh grille! haha

but anyways! Thanks for the detailed response! I have a simplistic build for this rear bumper! Not trying to be flashy by any means! I love the simple details that you have(simple design, tube sides, locking pin and swingouts)..not too many fancy shapes that you dont need! Im thinking of going dual swingouts! How did you make the swingarm sit flush with the sleeve? Is there a special tool that I should be looking for when cutting out the shape? And what size is the square tubing on that swing arm?

-LD

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Thanks for the help! I took your advice on the grille and added another layer of mesh, Im not sure you remember helping me on the mesh grille! haha

but anyways! Thanks for the detailed response! I have a simplistic build for this rear bumper! Not trying to be flashy by any means! I love the simple details that you have(simple design, tube sides, locking pin and swingouts)..not too many fancy shapes that you dont need! Im thinking of going dual swingouts! How did you make the swingarm sit flush with the sleeve? Is there a special tool that I should be looking for when cutting out the shape? And what size is the square tubing on that swing arm?

-LD

No worries. I recalled your grille - you did a good job and it gives your truck a very distinctive look.

The 2x3 tube is cut to match the cylinder - no special tools; you can use a hole bit with a drill or a band saw with the right blade. Any imperfections will be made up with the weld. I think a dual swingout would be very realistic for your truck and could be executed the same way. Simple is better!

wjeeper

I think I will be going with the 4x4labs spindles! Its hard to beat 3500# and a good rep!

I am fairly sure that 4x4labs claims is a 3500# spindle is actually a 1750# spindle. It appears that they are confusing the spindle rating with an axle rating (two 1750# spindles = 3500 pound rated axle) The spindle diameter is 1.75 OD.........its a 1750# spindle. A 3500# spindle is 2.25+ OD if memory serves me right (been awhile since I use to work building trailers)

wjeeper

That being said I have a 1750# spindle on my tire carrier. They are only a few dollars more (i bought them wholesale) so its a cheap way for piece of mind........

Comp4x4

I know this is a late tag but a lot of people still read the thread.

wjeeper is right 4x4labs is confusing the axle rating with the actual spindle rating. I just checked their site and they still have it wrongly listed as 3500#.
Just a heads up for those looking for spindle kits--Don't be fooled!

LJ_24

Adventurer
I am fairly sure that 4x4labs claims is a 3500# spindle is actually a 1750# spindle. It appears that they are confusing the spindle rating with an axle rating (two 1750# spindles = 3500 pound rated axle) The spindle diameter is 1.75 OD.........its a 1750# spindle. A 3500# spindle is 2.25+ OD if memory serves me right (been awhile since I use to work building trailers)

good to know! Thanks for the heads up!

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
Bringing this back from the dead. I had a spindle hinge from Rockstomper on my swing-out tire carrier. It made it @ 5 years before shearing off (and that was going through our salty Michigan winters). Well my fab guy and I are in the process of redoing it. Rockstomper is no longer in existence from what I can tell.

I did find this one that looks to be very nice but a little out of my budget. http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Synergy-Tire-Carrier-Hinge-p-2461.html

Looks like I will go EMS or Iron Pig.

zachv

Thanks for the mention of our hinges in the beginning of the thread. We have sent thousands of our design out over the years and have had great results. It seems that improper loading/overloading and not securing the assembly when closed is the main culprit for failure. Would anyone be interested in a thorough write-up on how we build our bumpers with the tire carriers using our Mega spindles?

Zach.
AtoZ Fabrication
http://www.atozfabrication.com

Ray_G

Explorer
Thanks for the mention of our hinges in the beginning of the thread. We have sent thousands of our design out over the years and have had great results. It seems that improper loading/overloading and not securing the assembly when closed is the main culprit for failure. Would anyone be interested in a thorough write-up on how we build our bumpers with the tire carriers using our Mega spindles?

Zach.
AtoZ Fabrication

Yes, I would! (be interested) Your stuff is on my list for an upcoming swing away fab for my LR3.

Zach.
AtoZ Fabrication

Most definitely.

Streaky

Observer
The purists will slate me but many people in the UK use the Tapered spindle from a Land Rover front axle hub.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94