Would like some help hashing out an electrical system.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Well I'd like to go with a larger panel, but budget constraints. 100 watts is pushing it already seeing as I have other systems to attend to.

I really want to go with a multi fuel generator dwh. Which is kind of why I am holding out.

wrcsixeight

Adventurer
If you want to go for a stealthier panel, this one is .5 inches thick and comes with an adhesive back. These type take up more room per watt, and cost more, but perform better in low light and high temps.

Just another option. You could probably fit 3 on the roof, adding as you go.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Unisolar-68-Flexible-Solar-Laminate/dp/B002MWDI44/ref=pd_sbs_auto_3"]Amazon.com: Unisolar 68 Watt Flexible Solar Panel PV Laminate - Simple & Easy Installation - Peel & Stick: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Edit:

Those aren't much more expensive than the others I was looking at, pretty cool, they just stick to the roof, no hardware or anything.

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Not that you'd want to run any modern electronics on it (you want sin wave for that)

That sort of generator (permanent magnet, synchronous) produces sine wave.

It's inverters that produce modified square wave.

I have a Honeywell HW2000i inverter generator. I bought it for the 2000w continuous rating since I was planning to install a/c in the camper. I never did install a/c. Honeywell is now out of business, taken over by Generac. My gen has a problem, and Generac told me they are sending me a new Generac ix2000 as a replacement.

If I had to do it over again today, I would buy a Champion, which has a really good rep over on the RV forums. Champion now has an inverter generator, which runs $499, but I think is on sale at Costco right now for $399:

http://cpeauto.com/73531i.php

For simple battery charging however, that isn't really needed. If I was to buy a small gen just for battery charging, I'd likely go with the 80cc Champion synchronous for $200:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Equipment-42433-Generator-Compliant/dp/B0028VB6XO/ref=sr_1_11?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1300819794&sr=1-11"]Amazon.com: Champion Power Equipment 42433 1,500 Watt 80cc 4-Stroke OHV Gas Powered Portable Generator (CARB Compliant): Home Improvement[/ame]

However, I would not buy it from Amazon. I bought my Honeywell from them and then discovered that once you put in fuel and oil they won't take a product back because of "hazardous" shipping issues. I'll never buy another engine powered product from Amazon because of that.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
If you want to go for a stealthier panel, this one is .5 inches thick and comes with an adhesive back. These type take up more room per watt, and cost more, but perform better in low light and high temps.

Just another option. You could probably fit 3 on the roof, adding as you go.
Amazon.com: Unisolar 68 Watt Flexible Solar Panel PV Laminate - Simple & Easy Installation - Peel & Stick: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Mounting a regular solar panel up off the roof a couple of inches leaves an airspace so it acts like a spot of shade on the roof, i.e., helps to keep the inside cooler.

Those Unisolars are neat, but sticking them to the roof is basically the same effect as painting a section of the roof black.

2500ak

Observer
That sort of generator (permanent magnet, synchronous) produces sine wave.

It's inverters that produce modified square wave.

Really? I just assumed that it was a square wave because it was so old. So it makes sin wave AC after all? Neat.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Mounting a regular solar panel up off the roof a couple of inches leaves an airspace so it acts like a spot of shade on the roof, i.e., helps to keep the inside cooler.

Those Unisolars are neat, but sticking them to the roof is basically the same effect as painting a section of the roof black.

Good point man! Good point. Any particular brand of solar panel you'd recommend?

I am in a similar situation as yourself (design phase of a camper van budget build). I found this Hyundai 230W polycrystalline solar panel for only $195 (.85/Watt) over at DH Solar. I can't comment on the quality of this panel as I have never owned this (or any other) solar panel before, but from what I've read Hyundai is a reputable manufacturer of solar panels. 230 watts may be overkill for your (and my) application, but at $195 it may be well worth it.

Have you decided which brand and size of AGM batteries you will be using? As far as Aux batteries, I am trying to decide between 1 or 2 ~100AH AGM batteries or 1 4D AGM battery at 200+ AH's and I will be powering a similar amount of electronics to yourself. The main draws on my system will be a Edgestar 63qt chest style fridge, Laptop, water pump, interior and exterior lighting, phone/camera/accessory chargers, misc accessories, etc.

The advice on this thread has been extremely helpful so far, lets keep it coming!

Edit: added link

Last edited:
Its a big panel but would fit well on the top of a van running lengthwise. Also, i saw the 25 panel minimum order, but i tried going through checkout up to actually buying it with a quantity of 1 and it seemed to work fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles