Anybody doing an LR3 as an off-road rig?

A.J.M

Explorer
How quickly do they wear? I haven't found the noise to be that bad, i had 2 freeby 1 hardback's prior so im used to a bit of road noise getting in.
They have only been introduced here in the last year, so no one has any real experience of them as they age.. this info would be very good as there are a few of us on disco3.co.uk who have these tyres in my size.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Dendy, I heard lots of reports on 2008/9 from people with Duratracs reporting early wear and noise, to the point where I where I refused to recommend them on my website, which was pretty active at that time. In more recent years, I have only heard people report satisfaction with these tires. I do not know if there were any compound changes to the rubber, but it would seem so?

PWCAN

I went to the Rally last year in Moab and for the most part the LR3's did quite well. My thoughts are that a nicely set up LR3 is quite capable, especially in a dry, rocky setting. Their computer does a LOT of the thinking for you. Just point it and drive. It walked up obstacles that I had difficulty with. This was mostly due to the computer transferring power to the correct wheels. Me, in my unlocked D1, had to be much more choosy with what line I took. I also learned that LR3 drivers make crappy spotters, LOL.

I'd be cuious to see how they perform in muddy and heavily wooded areas. Because they're still fairly new, you don't see many go offroad in these types of areas.

Owning both LR3 and Disco II, I think a mildly kitted out Disco II is probably best all rounder going. LR3 is too heavy, not enough clearance and has air suspension. Moderate lift on D2, bigger tires and with a CDL engaged and ETC you are good to go. Only down side is big *** rear overhang.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Owning both LR3 and Disco II, I think a mildly kitted out Disco II is probably best all rounder going. LR3 is too heavy, not enough clearance and has air suspension. Moderate lift on D2, bigger tires and with a CDL engaged and ETC you are good to go. Only down side is big *** rear overhang.

You own both? It sounds like you have overlooked the facts for a more emotional approach which is fine, as long as it's not presented as reality based. ;) Emotionally speaking, I LOVE my Disco2!!!

While the LR3 does weigh more, it can gain rather high ground clearance specifically due to the air suspension where the D2 requires quite large tires, which require more than basic 2" lift to equal the same minimum clearance under the differentials. Breakover however is way higher on the Discovery 2 due to the frame design. OME 2" lift not requiring other modifications, allows a 31.5-32" tire, which WILL rub on the front trailer arms at full lock further reducing it's turn radius, further from what was already less than the LR3. As you know, turn radius is of use off road, as well as in tight neighborhood parking ;)

Some of what you may think are negatives on the LR3 for certain uses, are in fact positives in other uses, such as while towing. Towing at the maximum rating is really an easy event with the LR3 due to it's 13" longer wheelbase, the air suspension equalizing things, and it's weight being less affected by the trailer or tongue weight.

Rear overhangs are pretty similar on them both, a little longer than a Land Cruiser but way longer than a G wagon.

For the $ though, that's another way to look at it. These days I see the Disco 2 as a wonderfully well priced value. So much vehicle for the low price with not too much to worry about. I still have about 18 months full warranty on my LR3 so I'm less "worried" but the truth is that there are more expensive things to deal with overall.

If someone came and said choose one, we're taking the other, I'd be handing over the LR3 key before they finished speaking. ;)

A.J.M

Explorer
By 15K miles they were screaming. By 25K miles they'll need replacing.
D

Just over one year on.
That post has proved to be spot on. They will need changed by 25k.
Now, if your cyrstal ball could tell me the lottery numbers for next Fridays Euromillions, i'll gladly send a few bucks over in thanks haha.

morrisdl

Adventurer
I just took off a set with 46k on them because I ripped a sidewall at uhwarrie. The spare was still new, so I bought 3 more new ones and kept two of the old ones for spares. They still look good with about 40% tread remaining, just a little loud on the road.

PWCAN

You own both? It sounds like you have overlooked the facts for a more emotional approach which is fine, as long as it's not presented as reality based. ;) Emotionally speaking, I LOVE my Disco2!!!

While the LR3 does weigh more, it can gain rather high ground clearance specifically due to the air suspension where the D2 requires quite large tires, which require more than basic 2" lift to equal the same minimum clearance under the differentials. Breakover however is way higher on the Discovery 2 due to the frame design. OME 2" lift not requiring other modifications, allows a 31.5-32" tire, which WILL rub on the front trailer arms at full lock further reducing it's turn radius, further from what was already less than the LR3. As you know, turn radius is of use off road, as well as in tight neighborhood parking ;)

Some of what you may think are negatives on the LR3 for certain uses, are in fact positives in other uses, such as while towing. Towing at the maximum rating is really an easy event with the LR3 due to it's 13" longer wheelbase, the air suspension equalizing things, and it's weight being less affected by the trailer or tongue weight.

Rear overhangs are pretty similar on them both, a little longer than a Land Cruiser but way longer than a G wagon.

For the $ though, that's another way to look at it. These days I see the Disco 2 as a wonderfully well priced value. So much vehicle for the low price with not too much to worry about. I still have about 18 months full warranty on my LR3 so I'm less "worried" but the truth is that there are more expensive things to deal with overall.

If someone came and said choose one, we're taking the other, I'd be handing over the LR3 key before they finished speaking. ;)

I have wheeled my D2 over many years in Canadian Forest/shield - mud, rock, tight trails. I am sure my LR3 would not have got to or through the terrain my D2 has been. Dimensions and breakover being key. Also near door handle wading capability for short distances. LR3 has intake on side of wing. Also, I am sure LR3 would not stand abuse over time - mud/water on air suspension, pump and stupid e-brake etc. True LR3 is a better tow truck and high speed load/people hauler. I am sure LR3 safer in a major collision too. BUT, D2 also pretty competent tow vehicle and Hwy hauler.

NOW, if your wheeling is confined to more open dry trails in Moab, desert then may be a more even playing field.

Bottom line is I enjoy both my LRs as well as my Iltis (I will let you web search that one).

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Dimensions and breakover being key.

I have seen this as the major limitation with the LR3. Even with 33's I've seen them high center pretty often while a 100" wheelbase Land Rover on stock tires will go right through. Width can be an issue as well. If on road or light off road is the main use, then they are certainly superior to the earlier trucks.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Well, you won't be getting any of my millions. :p

OT, but how is Seattle? I'm travelling over in September for 10 days, any good areas to check on?
Feel free to PM, if you wish. :)

Sorry, I never saw this post. Did you make the trip and have a good time? For interesting routes with great views I enjoy the areas along the Columbia River Gorge through eastern WA especially and also the southern WA/OR border.

Jwestpro

Explorer
...Dimensions and breakover being key. Also near door handle wading capability for short distances. LR3 has intake on side of wing. Also, I am sure LR3 would not stand abuse over time - mud/water on air suspension, pump and stupid e-brake etc. True LR3 is a better tow truck and high speed load/people hauler. I am sure LR3 safer in a major collision too. BUT, D2 also pretty competent tow vehicle and Hwy hauler.

NOW, if your wheeling is confined to more open dry trails in Moab, desert then may be a more even playing field.

If you want more easy to gain breakover, get the LLAMS kit. I used it recently where breakover height was key and having an extra 50mm within 30 seconds is a great feature for an LR3 which you can then also drive 300 miles afterwards through mtn highways at normal height, or lower by -20mm if desired.

It's my understanding that "smart" wading depth is more limited by whether or not you have high axle breather tubes. A snorkle can be added to the LR3 pretty easily. The Safari one sold by ARB is sealed well but I think that even the LR factory version can be sealed up enough for quick deep water crossing.

Along the lines of abuse, I am sure some aspects of the LR3 are prone to early replacement ;)

Yes, the E-brake has to be one of the worst parts on the vehicle. I actually very much prefer how the Discovery 1 and 2 parking brake works as it will lock up all FOUR wheels by way of locking the drive shafts. This allows all 4 tires to hold onto the surface whereas an lr3 only holds the rear wheels.

The result on steep terrain is much lower angle of sloped allowable when facing downhill. MUCH lower. I tested this on gravel and was amazed at the poor holding results. Backward hold is pretty good seeing as most of the weight is into the downhill tires where brake is holding.

A.J.M

Explorer
Sorry, I never saw this post. Did you make the trip and have a good time? For interesting routes with great views I enjoy the areas along the Columbia River Gorge through eastern WA especially and also the southern WA/OR border.

In the end, no.
A mate and i were going to come over to go to a games convention but tickets for it sold out quicker than a politician with no morals...

We did catch the London one though. I'm sure my future L405 RR drove past me down there, the places is full of RR's D3/4s etc.
Side benefit was it was after the Sept 18th Scot indy vote, my mate was a yes and i was a no... The No won so i took him round lots of touristy stuff that had lots of Union Jacks hanging up... :D

Seattle remains unvisited, for now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior