Anybody doing an LR3 as an off-road rig?

Bullsnake

Adventurer
you're right about that -- most who wheel seriously will center the front diff with the kit and just carry one halfshaft. I haven't done this yet, nor have I upgraded to the 12k hd shafts.

I am interested in how the bags work as I have put them on my truck.

rb

Ron, that is one of the very few downsides to the Alpha-because of the way the engine and ancillary parts lay there is no feasible way to center the front diff. The Alpha of course already has the 12K axles, and they are a HUGE improvement over the earlier axles I had on my previous '94, '96, and 97.5 trucks. The 97.5 I actually centered the diff and went to the 12K axles, but it was still no Alpha. Like they say, "There is no replacement for displacement.", and the Duramax with the Allison makes the Alpha go like no other Hummer I have ever had!

jdholder-

Thanks for the responses! It is good to know about the airbags, and if the RR had third row seats for the kids that is without a doubt the way I would go. Unfortunately three kids and long distances make that third row a requirement to keep the peace in the family! All of the kids say that riding in my 110 is more comfortable than riding in the H1, but they LOVE off-roading in the H1 compared to the 110. I am hoping that if I go with the LR3/4 lineup that it will be a nice compromise and I won't sacrifice too much on the trail either. Moab and Colorado are seriously the only two places that this truck will probably see any heavy duty off road action, and the rest of the time it will be shuttling us around to different off-road activities...

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Isn't there a coil conversion you can do to the LR3, similar to the problematic rear bags on the HSE Range rovers?

Similar to the vacuum actuated front axles on my beloved jeeps, it would seem like a no-brainer type of mod to remove a failure prone, superfluous part of the rig.

Love that G4 rig, by the way. The graphics are sharp.

jdholder

Explorer
Isn't there a coil conversion you can do to the LR3, similar to the problematic rear bags on the HSE Range rovers?

Similar to the vacuum actuated front axles on my beloved jeeps, it would seem like a no-brainer type of mod to remove a failure prone, superfluous part of the rig.

Love that G4 rig, by the way. The graphics are sharp.

While it's certainly feasible to do one, htere isn't a kit out there yet. The factory did coils in a few LR3's in 2005, so the computer programming is possible, but the integration of the airbags in 2006 and later with all the traction devices and hill descent and terrain response is very intertwined.

On the MKIII, there are two different companies that make computers to "fix" all that integration and retain the traction control by "tricking" the computers to think the truck still has airbags.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I'll toss my two cents in. I owned a coil sprung LR3 for a while and have extensive experience with air suspension equipped models also. I have thousands of trail miles in both, and have spotted for and trained numerous LR3 drivers in how to wheel them off road (they are different from traditional vehicles).

You are the third H1 owner I personally know that has "stepped down" to an LR3. In their opinions, the pro's far outweighed the cons (primarliy in comfort and versatility), but the overall experience has been about the same. They are heavy, with similar vulnerabilities. The cost to own is less, but the maintainence time (just taking care of them) spent on both is about the same.

The LR3/4 is exceptionally capable. Off the show room floor, it is the most capable Land Rover ever built. However, it is difficult to "build them up" to be even more capable. A well built Disco II or Defender will exceed the capabilities of a stock LR3, but never in comfort or versatility. Nashville Rover made the observation that the LR3 rewrote the rules for Moab. This is true, sorta. The LR3's class leading traction control is amazing. Combined with an incredible turning radius, and 13" of articulation and nearly 15" ground clearance (stock, in Super Extended mode), it really does make "difficult" trails quite easy....on certain types of obstacles.

I wrote a Moab trail guide rating system for "Modern Rovers" (LR3/4, Sport, and MkIII), that rates the trails in difficulty particular to the capabilities and limitations of the LR3. With your knowledge of Moab, perhaps this will be helpful to compare to: http://lr3tips.wordpress.com/2010/0...-rallys-in-moab-what-lr3-owners-need-to-know/

Durability is a whole other issue. The LR3 engine and trans have proven to be VERY good...once the software is patched up for the trans. Where I have seen issues in durability is in the suspension bushings primarily. They are made of peanut butter and they quite simply wear out regularly and quickly. Figure every 30,000 miles or so, you will want to replace them (if you are doing a lot of trail use). Another troublesome area is in the wiring harness connectors under the vehicle. They are sealed, but water gets in them, and causes corrosion. I would reseal all the connectors you can find prior to heavy trail use or any kind of regular water crossings.

Air bags have proven very reliable. I know of only one actual bag failure. I know of a few airline breaks (easily fixed on the trail). But the major issue is that the computer gets fault signals from the level sensors, and drops everything down to the bumpstops. Sometimes this can be cleared on the trail (holding the battery cables together), but often it can't be. A $1,000 faultmate computer is highly recommended for numerous reasons, but this is a big one and its quite valuable for this reason alone. The Faultmate is registered to your VIN, so you can't share them unfortunately.

Otherwise, the Electronics have proven very reliable.

The differences in capabilities in the LR3/4 are slight. The 4 offers a very cool camera package that allows you to see every corner of the vehicle, but that's somewhat of a crutch a good driver does not need. The 3 has unpainted plastic fender flares and bumpers that are much more durable in the bush. On the street, the 400hp engine in the 4 is sweet. The 3's 300hp is no slouch though. THey both run rings around all older rovers. THe wheel size is an issue in the 4. You can "downgrade" the 3 to use the V6 discs and fit 17" wheels pretty inexpensively.

I recommend searching the other LR3 related websites for more info. I listed them here: http://lr3tips.wordpress.com/top-sites/

Don't forget the tires!
http://lr3tips.wordpress.com/2007031446-2/

211888716_kHQsQ-XL.jpg

(Nightmare Gulch, and easy trail, but I love this photo)

Bullsnake

Adventurer
nwoods and jholder-

Thanks so much for the responses-it is good to hear that I am not the first to consider such a switch!

I was up late talking with the wife about it, and we are going to go drive a friend's LR3 later today both on and off road to see what we think. I have a feeling that the wife is going to fall in love with it, but she may still have a hard time talking me into it!

Besides the airbags and computers, are there any other faults that we should be on the lookout for? How is the drivetrain for durability? I am probably one of those people that likes to over-prepare for an event in hopes that I have something and don't need it verses the alternative of not having something that I really could have used on the trail!

Have any of you that off-road your rig come up with a good solution or suggestion for mounting a CB? As you know, these are basically a necessity for off-roading in a group. Any other thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as well-I am getting close to pulling the trigger on something!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I would opine that a HAM radio is what you should be thinking about, but a CB is certainly useful as well when you can see the other vehicle but can't quite speak through rolled down windows... :)

I used a Cobra 75WXST, that is an all-in one handset device. This CB unit has a tiny little antenna splitter box that mounts easily under the passenger seat (I just ziptied it to the seat rails), and then I just left the handset to set between the passenger seat and center console. It's easy to get under the carpet under the seats (precut slots for accessory routing), and route the antenna wire out the back. There are spare rubber gromments behind the driver's side rear tail light that make it super easy to route an antenna wire up to the roof plane. There is also a spare gromment in the firewall to route power lines to the battery, though it is somewhat easier to use the oversized gromment around the steering input shaft.

I mounted a HAM radio under the middle row seats. I used a small plywood base, mounted the speaker and transmitter unit to that, and then routed the remote head to the center console just below the ashtray, with the handset stuck to the center console near the armrest/cubby with heavy duty velcro. I had lots of pictures online on my old server, but I took it down as a cost cutting measure some time ago.

c75wxst.jpg

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Besides the airbags and computers, are there any other faults that we should be on the lookout for? How is the drivetrain for durability?
As I suggested, go to the LR3 specific forums I listed above. The airbags in the LR3/4 are not an issue. The most common issues you will see is related to tires (soft bushings, bad tires = frequent problems), sunroof drain tube blockage (can be fixed at home), ride height sensor faults (software fix for compressors, and get a Faultmate), lurching transmission (fixed with a software patch), and new one to be mindful of is a bolt in the rear suspension linkage. The first generation of these bolts has been known, in rare occasions, to shear off. Replacing these with the new bolt type is quick, easy and low cost preventative measure. Other than that, its really just bushings. Everything else in the electronics and drivetrain is very solid. The really nice thing about the LR3 that most people are ignorant of is that mechanically its just like any other truck. Brakes and oil are super easy to do yourself, as are most other service related items. All you need is a good set of metric wrenches, and a Faultmate.

Bullsnake

Adventurer
nwoods-

One other quick question-is the Faultmate the best / easiest OBD II reset device? would you happen to have a lead on where to purchase one? I will DEFINITELY be buying one and putting it in the truck before we head out.

Also, what was your opinion of the factory roof rack? With kids comes extra luggage, bikes, etc. and I am looking at that as an option.

Thanks again!

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
A well appointed LR3 can be a beautiful thing and my understanding is that the LR3 change all the rules at Moab due to its amazing ability.

Here is my 2008 LR3 G4. Locked Rear Diff, front skid plate, Warn 9000 winch and Goodyear MTRs. All you need. Rock sliders would be nice.

IMG_1059.jpg

D

I will back up what NashvilleRover and others say...I was a participant in the 2008 G4 Challenge...so I got to drive a LR3 all over Nevada for a week...I believe we had 1 flat tire out of the entire group.

The truck is great and will take most anything you can throw at it....

I have a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel...and they only reason I have that is because it is a diesel. The LR3 has always been on my list...I am waiting for prices to fall...maybe another year or 2

Just my 2 cents

Scott F

Bullsnake

Adventurer
nice...

Let me know how it goes-I am eyeing an '08 HSE with only 28,000 miles on it. It is loaded minus the rear locker, and I think with some minor mods it might fit the bill quite well.

I don't even want to tempt myself right now with the LR4 as it is a little more than I was wanting to throw at the project right now, and I think that the extra power might make me make a bad financial decision:elkgrin:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
nwoods-

One other quick question-is the Faultmate the best / easiest OBD II reset device? would you happen to have a lead on where to purchase one? I will DEFINITELY be buying one and putting it in the truck before we head out.

Also, what was your opinion of the factory roof rack? With kids comes extra luggage, bikes, etc. and I am looking at that as an option.

Thanks again!

The Faultmate MSV2 is available from here: http://www.blackbox-solutions.com/products.html

There is a "used" one available here: http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?p=96356
It is not a traditional OBDII unit. It does FAR more. Guys use them to program in software lifts at each independent wheel, plus a whole host of other things. Basically, anything the dealer can do, Faultmate can do, and possibly more.

The OEM rack is not good. Very light loading ability, the aluminum is loud, not much flooring coverage. FrontRunner, Hannibal, or BajaRacks are much better. Possibly RoverRacks also, but quality seems to vary with them from what I hear. I had a Hannibal, but the FrontRuner is every bit as good and more available these days through Equipt1.com, including all the accessories for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94