Knot on Master Pull rope

LandyAndy

Adventurer
I have an over braided synthetic rope on my winch & I want to replace the thimble & hook with a safety thimble. The origional thimble was put on with a regular back splice & I want to tidy it up with a knot like this on the Master Pull lines :

Winchknot.jpg

How do I tie it ?

Thanks.....

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
If it is already spliced then why not pull the splice apart and re-splice it? Lets see some pics of how it is done, there are just a few over-braided ropes out there that are used for winching. If you peel do want to knot it, it is very simple but requires you to be able to pull the knot tight, we use a tool that allows us to clamp the rope and pull on the knot using a table mounted winch.

-Alex

LandyAndy

Adventurer
Hi Alex,

I got the rope back in the UK a few years ago. It's not really done any work at all but the spliced part is quite UV faded now. Just want to get rid of that bit & tidy it up. I have a hand winch in my shop that I could snug the knot up with, I also have an extension for it that I can practice on first ;)

Thanks.....

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
Do you make your way south anytime? We are just over the border from Vancouver in Bellingham, WA.

-Alex

LandyAndy

Adventurer
Do you make your way south anytime? We are just over the border from Vancouver in Bellingham, WA.

-Alex

Not really... kelowna is as far as we generally go, even then it's a 6/7hr round trip. If I can't get it as I want it, I'll send you the safety thimble & you can put it onto a new rope for me.

bribassguy

Observer
It looks like a Triple Overhand Noose to me.

knot_noose_lg.png

Or a Triple Fisherman's Loop... I get a little lost in the termionlogy. A fisherman's knot is like a two turn overhand. and I think the three turn overhand a "scaffold" hitch... Two turns is a fishermans, three tuns is a scaffold.

triple%20fisherman2.JPG

The problem with both of these is they are slip knots so the eye wants to pull tight?

Last edited:

bribassguy

Observer
That's not actually my picture... I stole it... ssshhhh.

Are you saying that if you pull the working end tight enough it's no longer a slip knot?

Here's a little better picture of the XD line

129_1003_04_o+jeep_wrangler+winch_line.jpg

Last edited:

LandyAndy

Adventurer
The knot's formed round the line (by the tail) before it enters the thimble, when in use the knot want's to slide (if at all) towards the thimble but it all depends how snug you get it to the thimble in the first place. Getting the knot nice & tight is the fun bit as Alex noted, the overbraided rope is quite stiff & takes some pulling to tighten down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles