Small, Quick Class A Motorhome--Perhaps "Expeditionable"

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
The only thing I'm not loving is that rear overhang. My driveway is a bit steep and I'm not sure it would handle the transition.
Fortunately, your's is not the only tricky driveway. Hence the widespread deployment of RV skid rollers, like the models shown here:

http://www.rv-supercenter.com/product_p/tr944558.htm.

Or search on "RV Skid Rollers" for several dozen more.

Many bicycles, Thom. More than you could count, I'll bet. :D

VikingVince

Explorer
I like it and the construction...wasn't familiar with the 1990's Aerocruisers. Good to know. It could definitely fit a specific purpose. Having a 1990 Toyota Class C motorhome that I really enjoy taking to "primitive" beach campgrounds here on the CA coast, I would venture that the lack of windows would be an issue for many...but some might want it for that very reason also.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I would think that a vet who wanted to set up a mobile business without the high overhead of a fixed location would find a vehicle like that very attractive. It would also be appealing to people with mobile food businesses.

I logged about 180 miles on Mike's AeroCruiser, and was surprised at how it drove much more like a van than an RV. It has a 1991 Chrysler 360 V8 with electronic ignition and throttlebody fuel injection, and runs out well. There are a few little things to work out under the hood, but nothing too major. Runs smooth, shifts well. I can also verify that the propane furnace works well (it'll cook you right out of the RV if you crank it up), and that the AC unit cools it down nicely. I did a full vehicle analysis for Mike, and came to the conclusion that it is in pretty solid mechanical and structural condition.

I thought about buying it from Mike myself... I was thinking that it'd be perfect for motorcycle track days . I was going to shorten it to 19ft, and make the rear of the vehicle fold up for a covered space to work on bikes. The area behind the interior partition wall would be bike and tool storage (there's easily room for 2 race bikes and a tool chest in there), and forward of the wall would be the 'RV' space with a bed, sink, stove, cabinets/closet, and shower/toilet.

Whoever buys this thing is getting a blank canvas, and a cool rig. It's actually much better looking in person than it is in the pictures.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the kind words, James. I always favored your plan, as I'm impressed by the ideas that involve taking a recip saw to it. It's pretty nimble as it is, but shortening it by a few feet would make it Sportsmobile-sized with about twice the interior volume.

DKB2GO

Observer
That's quite a vehicle you found, Mike. Given some of the talent in modifications I've seen documented in the writeups on here, it would be great if it came into their hands. Certainly, it would end up an interesting vehicle.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
and sounds like a pretty cool vehicle but I have to laugh every time I read the title of the thread...;^)

Well, I figured everyone gets an opinion, and mine was that the AeroCruiser is at least as good a starting point as the Xplorer used for this fine piece of work by G35Vortec454,

Xplorer307a.jpg

and perhaps even better due the 'Cruiser's shorter length and single rear wheels. I'm quite convinced that, in the hands of the right fabricator/mechanic, it could be the basis for a far more practical overlander than my identical-length Unimog camper ever was.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Of all the descriptive terms I've seen used in vehicles for sale ads, quick and motorhome have never been lumped together.
Yeah, I got to admit that this one's a ringer, having no heavy furniture, tanks or plumbing. But even if you add (literally) a ton of stuff, it's still going to be pretty swift, relatively.

Is this a good time to point out that Precision Engines will sell you a Dodge 360 crate engine with 375 hp and 370 pound-feet of torque for $2995? :sombrero:

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
It's a neat rig that's definitely a clean slate for a million different ideas. Heck, i was thinking of turning it into the mobile 'Roo Wagon.. but i have too much on my plate as it is. Good luck with the sale Mike, im sure it will go quick for the price you're asking.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I got to admit that this one's a ringer, having no heavy furniture, tanks or plumbing. But even if you add (literally) a ton of stuff, it's still going to be pretty swift, relatively.

Is this a good time to point out that Precision Engines will sell you a Dodge 360 crate engine with 375 hp and 370 pound-feet of torque for $2995? :sombrero:

And a Cummins 6BT is probably a pretty easy bolt in replacement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles