Small, Quick Class A Motorhome--Perhaps "Expeditionable"

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
We have a new home for the AeroCruiser. It's gone to my friend and Unimogging buddy George Reiswig who lives in Hillsboro, OR. When I had my Mog 416 camper, George and family would go along in his 416 DoKa . . .

DSCN1568-1.jpg

. . . with husband, wife and daughter sleeping in the Columbus RTT. However, the daughter got big and his Mog's sometimes mechanically finicky, so he figured that adding the more spacious, climate-controlled, roadburning AeroCruiser would be a good supplement to his fleet.

So the followup photos, instead of Unimog and Unimog, may well be Sprinter and AeroCruiser. Less adventure, more comfort. It's hell gettin' old. ;)

spacer

Observer
I would think that a vet who wanted to set up a mobile business without the high overhead of a fixed location would find a vehicle like that very attractive. It would also be appealing to people with mobile food businesses.

Yeah, I've been kinda on the lookout for a classic truck to build a mobile pizzaria on... this reeks of potential, though I'll probably still hold out for an old B Mack or the like.

I'd probably consider a Cummins swap, but the idea of this being a "sleeper", all set to surprise a few hot rodders, would garner some *excellent* youtube reactions.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Glad it found a home so fast! (Though you did mention in your ad that it was quick :) )

What's the latest on CamperMog? I kick my self occasionally for passing up both opportunities I had to buy it. (Might be that I'd kick myself more if I hadn't passed on it -- sentimentality is fickle that way.)
Camper Mog is at current owner Chris Brandt's (Squeezer herein) in Portland, and a low-hour turbocharged OM352 is in transit to him as we speak. Of course, Chris has much going on, so the engine swap may take a little while to happen. Once it does, though, the renovated Camper Mog should be one of the very best around.

I feel sad that you've got that Sprinter sale money just sitting there, out of the economic mainstream, and no Camper Mog to spend it on. I've got lots of other stuff, though. :sombrero:

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Glad it found a home so fast! (Though you did mention in your ad that it was quick :) )

No it is not! When my wife saw the price, and vehicle, she was half way to buying me a plane ticket when I told her it was sold!

That would have been a super nice start for us. Mike you really have to tell me about these cool things when you decide to sell them! ;)

Cool toy Mike, no idea where you end up coming up with so many of these things...

Brian

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Who knew? :(

Yeah, that is ok. I think I may have found a little fuso that I can pick up. Has a 16'x8'x8' box on it. I think I can make a back seat, and still put in a bunk house, kitchen, bathroom, and dinette with queen bed above it. We shall see! (also shall see if the wife goes for that too! hehe)

Wanderman

If i'd only know this forum existed 2 years ago......

Ah well....at least I've found it now!

A random search for Aero Cruiser turned up this thread. I have a late 1991 version with the rear bed/bath setup.

Currently, it has full self sufficiency for up to 12 days for 2 people at max conservation. My main limit is fresh water and holding tanks.

After purchasing the RV I began to refurbish and modify it to be the small go anywhere vehicle I wanted.

First, I designed a complete 450Watt solar array (MPPT) that is flush bonded to the roof. the panels are custom made in China and are only 3mm thick, yet have the same characteristics of glass framed "standard" panels. I have yet to need to plug in to recharge, and with a 5200watt genset aboard it is unlikely I will have to! The only thing I would run the genny for currently is the A/C. Somewhere a bit further down the line I will replace the battery bank with Lithium Phosphate packs to decrease weight and increase storage. Too many $$$ right now and the Lead Acids I have work fine.

Recently I completely rebuilt the front end (mostly Dodge D350 but widened to fit the coach body) I found out I have the 4000# optional HD axle and components which is a good thing! The ground clearance in the front after the rebuild has risen 2.5" from stock.

This Friday I will be replacing the rear leaf springs with new heavy duty units as I am sure they have sagged after 20 years! The RV does have a supplementary airbag system in the rear.

I look forward to many adventures in this vehicle and am not the typical RV user. More of the helicopter, hovercraft, race car, and tinkerer type.

There are many pictures of my RV and the mods on the aero cruiser yahoo groups page, you may have to register to see them:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aeroc...?mode=tn&order=mtime&start=1&count=20&dir=asc

Now, off to read these forums!

Rich " Wanderman"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles