ramcharger build

98dango

Expedition Leader
Well with help from you folks here I decided on building a Ramcharger. Total rig price free. I will have some pictures up soon. The build will take a little while. The purpose of the rig is hard core off road camping. I am single I will spend much time in the mountains. I will have front and rear winches full sleeping and storage and all inside. 12 pint cage with frame tie in. 24 gallon on board water.

rig specs

360 mopar purple cam

trans not sure yet

205 t-case

dana 44 front 9.25 rear

315-75-16 dura trax

what i can not decide on is auto or manual trans

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Me likey Rammers.

EDIT: Even if the wiring is crap.

x2.

My buddy, ColoradoBill, has a nice well built '92 Ram Charger (8 lug Dana 44, Dana 60, front and rear ARB's, etc). He might chime in here.

2500ak

Observer
what i can not decide on is auto or manual trans

My first truck (86 ram D250) had a 727 torqueflite, very solid and reliable. It had that cool whine you only get from strait cut planetary gears.

I think the manuals had the NV3500, 3/4tons would have had the NV4500. I've never driven anything with either, but have heard that they are reliable (if slightly slow shifting) units. Although the new venture 3500 is supposedly a little on the weak side for running larger wheels and tires.

Last edited:

98dango

Expedition Leader
I will post pics. I have to buy a new camra as the ex gf took the damn thing.

There is no eletrical in this truck past lights. It was being built as a race truck and intrest was lost. I will install my own aftermarket gauges and ingnition.

727/205 or np435/250 I found a dodge nv4500 but that will cost me $800

2500ak

Observer
The 435 would be nice. That had one of the deepest, if not the deepest compound low ratio of all the popular truck transmission low ratios.

The 4500 has a 5.61:1 granny gear, the 435 has something like a 7:1.

The Borg Warner in my old ford has a 6.32:1, with stock height tires and 3.90 gear I can dump the clutch at a stop and she takes off. Slowly, but inevitably.

In 4lo I can dump the clutch and she's utterly un-stallable. Ran out of gas a while back, I just put it in low, and 4lo and climbed up a hill to safety, using nothing but the starter motor. It wasn't struggling.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Both my rammers had the 727 - no issues. For crawlin' the manual is better, but I still prefer autos. You don't get the uber-gearing, but you do get the torque converter which multiplies torque at low speed (I like the B&M Traveler).

Also, I like the B&M Transpak which will allow you to keep the auto locked into a low gear, and a decent ratchet shifter like a QuickSilver.

You also don't get the engine braking with an auto (or not as much anyway), but you're gonna have serious brakes anyway right? :)

98dango

Expedition Leader
eventualy i will have rear disks. but this is still on a uber tight budget. So far my total expense will be less than a 500 for fluids gauges and misc items

I also just found out that i only have 3 weeks befor i go back to work in johnday or fighting fire

Last edited:

ColoradoBill

Adventurer
I love the ramchargers, Go with whatever trans you like to drive the most. The 727 in one of the strongest autos ever built by anyone. It will handle a 360 with ease. You said you had a purple shaft cam in it? I had one in a 83' stepside 4x4 with a 318. It was a great high end high HP cam but was terrible in the low end torgue range. My buddy put that cam in a scamp and it was 11 sec car. I swapped in a RV cam and that made a huge difference offroad.
Just my thoughts. can't wait for the pics.

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
Don't know about the newer ones, but it's possible to plop a 4Wheel pop-up on the older ones. Ramcharger below via http://www.mydodgetruck.com/content/view/481/30/ and there is a Plymouth Trailduster at this link that unfortunately got smushed... http://rides.moparmusclemagazine.co...-hemi/1976/plymouth/trailduster/photos/4.html

74rchargerbymike_1.jpg

98dango

Expedition Leader
Well nothig is getting done today.

The ex is getting the rest of her stuff today. I have to be here so its a long way stressfull day already. My frined says he will take some picks for me tonight but hes about as hi teck as a stick so i dont know if he will figure out how to send.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Spent all weekend out at the yard. I got every thing moved around and even took some pictures. Know if I can find the cable of the camra ill be set.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles