Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any pop-up truck campers sleep 5 people?

Default Any pop-up truck campers sleep 5 people?

Hello - Trying to figure out all my options for a camper for a family of 5. Are there any pop up truck campers that have enough sleeping space? I've seen the shell-only models, and might consider building the interior myself, but would like to see what is on the market.

Thanks.

Probably this one with a north/south bed and slide out bunk bed.

Quote Originally Posted by OutsideFamily View Post
    Hello - Trying to figure out all my options for a camper for a family of 5. Are there any pop up truck campers that have enough sleeping space? I've seen the shell-only models, and might consider building the interior myself, but would like to see what is on the market.

Thanks.
    Not really. I mean technically I could "sleep" 5 in my FWC hawk assuming we're talking some kids here (I have a kingsize pullout on the cabover and a twin sized lower bed/couch down below). However it would be a frigg'n nightmare the second anyone wanted to get up and moving you'd be all over each other.

I'm planning to build a new camper on a flatbed and a side access door with the concept of 2 adults & 2 kids snugly. I suppose you maybe could pull off 3 little kids but that assumes everyone is taking turns moving around and the kids would share a bench seat/bed... which I find optimistic.

Thanks for the replies. We currently tent camp, but I'm looking for camper options. I think the truck campers are a bit more rugged than a tow-behind, unless I could get a sweet Austrailian caravan.

I sort of came to the same conclusion, even if there was enough sleeping space, it would be too crowded... especially with 3 young kids bouncing all over the place!

Not fully On Topic, but we did sleep four full size adults and all our rock climbing and camping gear in a full size Chev 1/2 ton w/ 6' canopy in a full snow storm on my first trip to Red Rocks in 1987. Might not be applicable to your wants and needs though

SLEEP ONLY. yeah. Like to pull over for the night or if you get rained out and don't want to set up tent.

But to LIVE out of, not really. There simply isn't enough sq ft. If you carry a big screen tent to be your living room at camp and a lightweight tent for the kids in good weath, it works.

You can hang kids bunks pretty easy. They work well for kids big enough to not roll out of bed but under 100 lbs. Build them yourself out of conduit and canvas.

Quote Originally Posted by OutsideFamily View Post
    Thanks for the replies. We currently tent camp, but I'm looking for camper options. I think the truck campers are a bit more rugged than a tow-behind, unless I could get a sweet Austrailian caravan.

I sort of came to the same conclusion, even if there was enough sleeping space, it would be too crowded... especially with 3 young kids bouncing all over the place!
    You can build (or probably buy) a decently rugged trailer so I wouldn't let that change your mind there. In my opinion the push between a trailer and truck camper has to do with foot print, maneuverability, etc. With my truck camper while poking through the woods I can still turn around in the middle of a road relatively easily, that wouldn't be the case with a trailer. Also in the city while traveling I again don't have to deal with a trailer.

On the flip side weight concerns aren't as great with a trailer and you can likely fit in more things. Also you can easily unhook the trailer and just take the vehicle when you get to your destination. Most of the light weight truck campers aren't really meant to self support on jack stands while camping (and who wants to carry the jacks anyways?). Those that do that likely are going to be heavy/bulky which doesn't really jive with your rugged criteria (in my mind).

All good points... thanks for the discussion.

I think my idea is to have a space big enough to SLEEP in bad weather, but my wife's concept might be to LIVE out of the camper. So maybe a truck camper is not quite right to meet both of our needs.

I like the pop-out on the side... great idea. We have looked at a couple 'hybrid' expandable campers and I like how compact they are to tow, but still have the bed space.

Off-loading the truck camper at a destination is something I had not thought about, probably something I wouldn't want to do. It makes a trailer seem like a better idea.

I have a trailer and have used it quite a bit for the past 5 years. I like the fact you can unhook at the destination and explore, but we have decided to sell, because we backpack and canoe camp and boat camp a lot so the camper gets less and less use as the kids grow... 8 and 10 now.

I am pondering a pop up truck camper as a sleeping option and just take less junk along! My wife is excited about the idea....

hmmmm.... 4 people in a taco pop up camper.... I guess it will need to be custom.

Good luck with your decision.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast