Video: National Luna Weekender 50 Fridge/Freezer

Central Overland was fortunate enough to have Ben Edmonson from Equipt Expedition Exchange with us on the trail during the Trans-Ouachita 2011 trip. I stole a moment during lunch to have him show us around the amazing new 50 liter National Luna Weekender fridge/freezer. Check it out!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aDgKWHFxK0"]National Luna Weekender 50[/ame]

Sawyer

Adventurer
I'll have to watch this when I get home.... But, as some one who purchased one of these in December for a two week Baja trip... They are amazing!!! Quality, low power draw, finish, etc. We used it a ton around the holidays for extra fridge space. Definately not for those on a budget... But worth every penny IMHO. Of course yo get Paul's great customer service with it as well!

Ash

Adventurer
Nice video guys. We can do the same for my 90L Weekender on the Central Overland OX caravan too :)

There are quite a few significant differences between the 90L and 50L weekenders (other than the size) that are worth covering.

Ash

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Nice video guys. We can do the same for my 90L Weekender on the Central Overland OX caravan too :)

There are quite a few significant differences between the 90L and 50L weekenders (other than the size) that are worth covering.

Ash

Good idea. Roll the cameras! :wings:

Sawyer

Adventurer
Now that I have had time to watch that video.... I want to know more about the drawer system in that rig too!!!!

Sawyer

Adventurer
Smooth as silk but sturdy as a mule. And I'm quite certain that Equipt can help you out.

More details here.

Sorry, I meant the storage drawers built around the fridge. I actually got the slide from them. I have been waiting to build my drawer system to install it. thank you for pointing me or others in the right direction for the slide though!

ExpoMike

Okay, so I have to ask in hopes someone knows. What makes a National Luna fridge worth almost twice the cost of an Engel/ARB/etc. ?

Sawyer

Adventurer
Okay, so I have to ask in hopes someone knows. What makes a National Luna fridge worth almost twice the cost of an Engel/ARB/etc. ?

What makes it worth twice the price for one person might not be worth it to some one else. So, it can be subjective. Overland Journal (summer 2010) did a great write up comparing NL, Engel, ARB and Whytner. If you can read it, they ran test, and compared specs, build quality, etc.

When one compares the specs, and build quality next to one another... well for me it was worth it. Might not be for everyone though.

DKB2GO

Observer
Central Overland was fortunate enough to have Ben Edmonson from Equipt Expedition Exchange show us around the amazing new 50 liter National Luna Weekender fridge/freezer.

I've watched the video several times and studied the respective information on the Equipt web site. It holds a serious possibility for inclusion in my future buildout. Can someone help me with the size conversion. That is, I can wrap my head around what is viable with a "front door" type of fridge. I'm not sure what is enough versus too much with a chest style. In the video, Ben says the Weekender 50L split can support two people for 10 days living well and drinking beer. Can anyone support that statistic?

Cheers,

David

Ash

Adventurer
David,

I too faced this dilemma as I had never owned a fridge like this before. There is no doubting the best thing to do is see different sizes in person, I however, was not in that position. Here is what we did. Get the internal diameter specs for the fridge from equipts website. Cut out pieces of paper to that size (two, one for the fridge, one for the freezer), place them on your bench, and then start 'filling' them up with items you would take camping. This will help a little with the sizing.

A few important points though:
- It is amazing how little freezer space you really need if you take all the meat out of the packets and put them zip lock bags. Unless you have a large group, 10L is quite doable, even taking ice containers and maybe some icecream.

- You will learn how to cope with any size you have. The bigger the fridge/freezer, the less you have to 'learn'. The more fresh foods you can take, and the more beer you can keep cold at any one time. If you went small, you would 'learn' to take a lot of dried food stuffs (rice/couscous/tortillas etc), perhaps use long life milk in 1L containers, with one in the fridge and others outside waiting to be put in when you run out of the first. Drink wiskey instead of beer, or margaritas, saves a lot of fridge space, and you can use ice from the freezer

- Unless you are seriously isolated, it is often easy and pleasureable to pick up fresh local produce every so often on an extended overland trip anyway, another reason to go small. Who wants 2 week old lettuce?

- Power consumption goes up a lot the larger you go because it wont stay full. A full fridge, is a happy fridge. If you are going to do ANY extended hot weather trips (Baja, Death Valley etc), these National Lunas will work well, but they will start to pull hard, especially when not full of food. Unless you have a very good battery and solar set up (large marine and 120W solar), extended hot weather trips will require you to run the vehicle significantly. This is were a smaller size excels, the 50L is perfect in this example

- You may be different, but I LOVE the fridge and freezer combos. I never even considered a single fridge or freezer unit.

- The national luna units are the only products available in North America that offer a fridge and freezer option that is electronically controlled. Set the temperature and forget. The Engel combi is not. Personally it would annoy me to use a manual thermostat.

- A 74/90L Weekender (they are the same external size) is big. You will need a Land Cruiser or equivalent size rig to haul it around in the back and not feel like you are just wasting space. With the 74/90L Front Runner fridge slide, you take up more than half of an 80 series rear cargo space (in width)

In saying all that, we went with the 90L Weekender :sombrero:
It is the only National Luna with a larger Fridge compartment than freezer AND both can be controlled individually. We have not field tested it extensively, but we are going to have to buy some freezer packs to fill up the freezer. 40L of freezer is seriously big! Our rational was it is large enough to support a family for extened trips. We are only two now, but we expect this unit to last a very long time. Also, we considered that any drawbacks in size and subsequent power draw could be negated with solar panels. We just bought two 60W powerfilm panels to go along with our Diehard Platinum group 31M and National Luna split system.

I would recommend the 50L to anyone unless you do a lot of very cold weather camping (the freezer unit is held at 4 Deg C below the fridge from memory, so if the ambient outside temperature is lower than your fridge setting then the compressor will not run, and your freezer will come up to the temperature of the fridge - however this only happens between 0-4 Deg C ambient temperature. A very narrow window, and how much camping do you do at that temperature anyway? [remember, if it gets below 0 Deg C everything will freeze anyway, so only 0-4 Deg C matters for this unit]) or unless you have a lot of mouths to feed. I honestly think you could feed a family of 4 for 10 days with a 50L. It would require the 'learning' techniques I outlined above, absoutely no luxuries, but it could be done.

Hope that provides some insight.

Ash

Last edited:

DKB2GO

Observer
Ash - Thank you for your helpful remarks. I'm confident the Weekender 50L Split will serve my needs. As I play with the idea of space more and more, I am reminded of how much wasted space exists in a conventional "vertical door" type of fridge versus a chest style. In addition, the energy efficiency is a huge selling point with me.

RBA

Adventurer
Hi Gents,

I purchased the weekender 52 along with the portable power pack dual battery setup last week and ran into several issues. I'd like to get your feedback.

I've owned an engel 45 for 5 hard years running 24x7. I never had any issues but i wanted a few things in my next fridge. A larger capacity, high efficiancy, battery monitor and alarm. As many oers here, i read the reviews in O.J. anf decided on the National Luna Weekender 52.

This weekend a small group decided to run some higher elevations in Death Valley. It was hot but not something we've never encountered; between 102 and 106 as the highs. I sold my engel to my buddy and the engel as expected needed to be cranked up from the usual 1.5 to 2.0 all the way to 2.5 to keep the contents cold. My setup with the PPP experienced a couple of issues. First I set the fridge to zero celcius. The fridge was packed 90% full before a 7 hour drive to DV. Upon arriving in DV the food was cool but nowhere near cold. I set the temp to -02 and went to bed thinking that would solve the issue. The next day I noticed the contents were not noticeably cooler. So I decided to crank it down even colder to -06 as we drove to the next destination. Upon arriving, I checked the contents and it was even warmer in the fridge. So I lowered the temp to -10. After checking about an hour later I heard the fridge beeping as if the low voltage alarm was going on. Oddly all the lights on the fridge were on and blinking - odd....I looked at the PPP and sure enough the voltage had dropped to 11.5. I started up the truck and ran it for about 45 minutes to let the second battery fully charge in the mean time I unplugged the fridge and plugged it back in. The fridge seem to reset but after just a few minutes the error light began flashing 3 times. According to the owners manual the starter motor failed to start. 15 minutes later another error with 5 flashes. Motor is overheating. The engel in my buddies car had no issues.... Now I'm annoyed and pissed that my old fridge is working better then my new $2000 setup.

I decide to start playing around and try to reset the fridge with the circuit breaker on the PPP...here's where another strange thing happens...I flip the switch to off but the fridge still shows the lights on and appears to be working...******...I actually take a video...I unplug the PPP from the main battery and unplug the fridge from the PPP and reconnect everything. Oddly when I flip the circuit breaker this time the fridge loses power ******?!? I crank the fridge to -10 and it overheats...set it to -05 and it seems to work although my contents are cool but not cold.

The fridge runs overnight and things seem to be working, even the contents get slightly colder. The next day we head home and I'm still not sure what caused the issues and whether I have a defective fridge, PPP or whether the temps were just too much for this setup. Shame if it is...I expected it would perform better then my engel not worse.

Since coming home and playing around with the fridge, I have some questions and thoughts. First, when the fridge tells me the temp is -04 degrees what is it really measuring? The ambient temp inside the fridge or the temp the wall is getting? I would expect the fridge begin to freeze things at -05 but my fridge never came close to freezing anything. Second, while the temps were high my old engel with a cover had no issues cooling itself while the Luna kept overheating - sad if you ask me but I noticed that the way I positioned the fridge one of the cooling sections on the back was blocked by being placed against my carpeted wheel well. So perhaps between the temps and the blocked vents, me opening and closing the lid the fridge just couldn't keep up. That might explain the poor fridge performance but what about the PPP circuit breaker not working properly? Was that heat related also?

What setting are you guys running your fridges?
Who should I speak to about the performance of my fridge, equipt one or national Luna?

Any advice on next steps to diagnose would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
Sorry as I am on a photo shoot in Australia and just saw this. Call Paul May the owner of Equipt immediately and he will get your problem fixed!!! I set my National Luna on 1 degree and never move it. I have ice at all times no matter what the temp!!! Something is not right. Please call Paul as soon as you can to resolve this as our customer service is second to none:sombrero:

Cheers from Melbourne,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94