Detroit Diesel Build

ExpoFeast

Here's a picture of the tool box and a couple of a rail system I'm going to use. The rails are from a newer Dakota. I had them laying around from another project. I'm planning on building a hilift and shovel mount using these rails. Well here's the pictures.

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Nice enhanced pump driver

So I finally installed my PMD relocation kit fron Pensacola Diesel. It was a really nice unit. It came with a new PMD, Heat Sink, Gasket, Extension Cable and Bolts. I made my own bracket to mount inside the stock bumper with some angle iron I had laying around. The whole install took about an hour, that included making the bracket and taking the grill off the truck.

I suggest the pump driver cooling plate be in air flow path to radiator fan. I've used many different cooler plate configurations outside engine bay and have found that if there is not enough air flow over plate cooler the driver can and does overheat which eventually leads to it's failure. When at idle w/o air flow over cooler plate is when you are at risk, been there done that.

The driver itself is sealed real good against the elements and can be enhanced further with silicone sealant around the outside area it mates to cooler plate and at the outside of plug/socket.

Common failure of pump driver mounted on injection pump aside the only times I've had issues has been in stop and go traffic and at idle, or slow desert travel with cooler plate not mounted in air flow path to radiator.

You can make a high idle circuit and have three different idle speeds too.

ExpoFeast

I suggest the pump driver cooling plate be in air flow path to radiator fan. I've used many different cooler plate configurations outside engine bay and have found that if there is not enough air flow over plate cooler the driver can and does overheat which eventually leads to it's failure. When at idle w/o air flow over cooler plate is when you are at risk, been there done that.

I was originally going to mount the cooler is the path of the radiator but decided against it once I saw how Bill Heath mounted his to the skid plate. I couldnt afford his kit but wanted to mount it in a similar fashion. Keeping the operating temp of the PMD under 150* seems to be the most important thing. Im going to keep an eye on the current location. Im going to have to move it anyways when I figure out my front bumper situation.

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Skid plate

I was originally going to mount the cooler is the path of the radiator but decided against it once I saw how Bill Heath mounted his to the skid plate. I couldnt afford his kit but wanted to mount it in a similar fashion. Keeping the operating temp of the PMD under 150* seems to be the most important thing. Im going to keep an eye on the current location. Im going to have to move it anyways when I figure out my front bumper situation.

I guess you maybe ok if not operating in the tropics, sub/tropics, desert. I cold not use Heath's driver cooler in that location because my after-cooler resides there, so, used his under bumper lip version and had ran into problems overheating, Bill replaced the unit and I have it as a standby only. The cooler plate mounted in the radiator flow path keeps the driver a few degrees above ambient temp at idle or stop/go traffic, highway much cooler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier