Goal Zero Nomad 13.5 Vehicle Battery Charging Setup

cactusjk

Explorer
I am interested in using a Goal Zero 13.5 solar panel to keep my Optima Yellow Top secondary batt topped off when stopped at camp. I would like to still use my Battery Tender charger but am open to suggestions on how to set this up.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I am interested in using a Goal Zero 13.5 solar panel to keep my Optima Yellow Top secondary batt topped off when stopped at camp. I would like to still use my Battery Tender charger but am open to suggestions on how to set this up.

Is a 13.5 Watt panel enough? Basically while in camp your battery is already fully charged and there will be no drain on it?

wrcsixeight

Adventurer
Define "stopped at camp".

A 13.5 watt panel, when moved 4 times per sunny day to face directly into bright sunlight might be able to return 8 amp hours daily into a battery.

Your Optima probably has about 64 amp hours total.

A regular head unit stereo will consume ~1.2 amps per hour at 1/5 maximum volume.

cactusjk

Explorer
ARB fridge on and parked for 2 days.

Define "stopped at camp".

A 13.5 watt panel, when moved 4 times per sunny day to face directly into bright sunlight might be able to return 8 amp hours daily into a battery.

Your Optima probably has about 64 amp hours total.

A regular head unit stereo will consume ~1.2 amps per hour at 1/5 maximum volume.

wrcsixeight

Adventurer
That solar panel is insufficient by a factor of at least 4,

Others here claim a 60 watt panel will be needed to indefinitely run a Fridge on battery power.

That tiny panel might allow the Optima to power the ARB for 2 days assuming it is a healthy battery and was fully charged and the panel re oriented many times each sunny day.

Would not be good for the battery though.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
ARB fridge on and parked for 2 days.

I hate to say search but... there are many threads on the topic and the answer is always the same: basically you do need a panel in the 55 to 65 Watt range. I think we recently had a discussion about it in Hilldweller's thread.

A good controller can make a difference too. Are you limited by budget for this project? If so, just keep saving money towards a good setup and in the mean time just run the rig often enough to charge the battery.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I spent some time talking solar panels with a rep from Goal Zero at a outdoor expo here in SLC last weekend, a seemingly great product with some neat applications. Hiking, backpacking, emergency preparedness, hunting, fishing, etc all come to mind but I don't gather they have much application nor do they imply much application for vehicle based travel. Now I realize there is a fundamental difference between a user that moves on a daily basis or at least a few days a week and someone that sets up base camp in the same location for 3+ days. But as has been eluded to if your really interested in solar powering 12V accessories normally tasked to your vehicles charging system (ie fridges, high draw lights, stereos, etc) then you'll need far more wattage and surface area than a smaller panel can accommodate. For my travel routine, its rare that we are parked for more than 2-3 days and my single batter covers those needs including 24 hour fridge use (cycling as needed) and a low draw LED light at night. Worst case I have an isolated (when key off) 2nd battery that will reliable protect my start abilities. So while it is a total tangent from solar recommendations I would urge you to investigate a quality dual battery system before you opt for an arguably more troublesome and time consuming option ie solar.

I'm planning a Utah converse moto trip that will have us on the dirt for ~900 miles across some of the most remotes areas of Utah. My bike has lights but not enough power to readily run even some small accessories ie a phone charger, GPS & aprs tracking system simultaneously. It can handle some but not all... here is a seemingly appropriate application for the smaller Brunton/Goal Zero type solar kits. If I could reliably charge my GPS batteries during the downtime, or possibly capture some light during the day?

cactusjk

Explorer
Appreciate the replies. I have looked at the other threads on ARB power requirements. Basically I wanted to know if this 13.5 watt panel with an appropriate controller would 'extend" my available secondary battery time. I fully understand it is not the complete solution but if you had this panel at least you could expand its uses beyond just small electronics.

D

Deleted member 9101

Appreciate the replies. I have looked at the other threads on ARB power requirements. Basically I wanted to know if this 13.5 watt panel with an appropriate controller would 'extend" my available secondary battery time. I fully understand it is not the complete solution but if you had this panel at least you could expand its uses beyond just small electronics.

I am kinda in the same boat... don't need to indefinitely runt he fridge off solar, just trying keep the battery charged when my trailer is parked and help add a little to the battery life while its being used.

chet

island Explorer
of course it will extand your stay anything that adds juice back to your battery will HELP. But for the price I would buy something larger.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator

wrcsixeight did the math for you, that panel will net you ~8 AH under optimal conditions. Depending on temperature differential, your ARB will pull something like 1-2A per hour, so that panel MIGHT buy you as much as 8 additional hours. Under less optimal conditions, it might buy you a couple of hours.

You need a bigger panel.

expdtnoffroad

Supporting Sponsor

Cactusjk a possible solution for you would be to utilize a a Goal Zero Extreme 350 Power Pack if you were wanting to power something like an ARB fridge and keep it off your vehicles power system. An ARB fridge draws 0.87 amp/hr which is fairly low. You would be able to run your fridge for at least 30 hours on the Extreme 350 (350 watt-hour). If you added a panel like the Boulder 30M Panel you would really be able to offset the draw in good sun conditions. You could also recharge the 350 on your vehicles power system when you start traveling again.
IMG_8200.jpg

I'm planning a Utah converse moto trip that will have us on the dirt for ~900 miles across some of the most remotes areas of Utah. My bike has lights but not enough power to readily run even some small accessories ie a phone charger, GPS & aprs tracking system simultaneously. It can handle some but not all... here is a seemingly appropriate application for the smaller Brunton/Goal Zero type solar kits. If I could reliably charge my GPS batteries during the downtime, or possibly capture some light during the day?

Kurt I would recommend the Nomad 7 / Guide 10 combo with a few extra rechargeable batteries on the side. You could strap this to a backpack and take care of you phone, GPS, and PLB tracking needs easily.

IMG_8246_large.jpg

If anyone needs any more specifics on solar gear please let us know. We are an authorized dealer for Goal Zero and Brunton. We have great relations with both companies and know their products very well.

I would trust anything that wrcsixeight has to say about auto electrical... you can also count on the folks at Adventure Trailers for help.

My 2 cents... A battery charger is definitely a good idea, that way you can keep the battery topped off when an outlet is available. I would consider a marine charger permanently mounted in the engine bay. I would also recommend a battery management system such as the one sold by Equipt/National Luna, if I were in the U.S. I would get it to replace my current manual set-up.

Furthermore I would say that if you are looking to keep your house battery topped off and part of your equipment includes a 12v fridge: forget about the 13.5. We have an 80 watt panel and in some conditions it is not enough, I would encourage you to spend the money on a decent 60 to 90 watt panel and charge controller.

expdtnoffroad

Supporting Sponsor
Lostworlexpedition makes a really good point about the National Luna dual battery system being the way to go. The permanent mount marine charger is also a fantastic idea!

The Nomad 13.5 is really designed for mid-duty electronic usage. Coupled with the Sherpa 50 and the Sherpa UI you are looking at a power system that would be great for running a laptop for a couple (1-2) hours between charges (100 watt output with the UI). The Sherpa 50 is a 50 watt-hour unit. It charges off the Nomad 13.5 in 6 or so hours. Think small to mid-sized portable electronics. Cell phone, sat phone, iPod, iPad, small laptop, etc.

cactusjk

Explorer
How can you tell if the guide 10 is charging if the battery is full and the switch is in the off position?

Also, can you charge the guide 10 pack with an AC mini USB power adapter?

There are no guide 10 power pack instructions!

Cactusjk a possible solution for you would be to utilize a a Goal Zero Extreme 350 Power Pack if you were wanting to power something like an ARB fridge and keep it off your vehicles power system. An ARB fridge draws 0.87 amp/hr which is fairly low. You would be able to run your fridge for at least 30 hours on the Extreme 350 (350 watt-hour). If you added a panel like the Boulder 30M Panel you would really be able to offset the draw in good sun conditions. You could also recharge the 350 on your vehicles power system when you start traveling again.
View attachment 55038

Kurt I would recommend the Nomad 7 / Guide 10 combo with a few extra rechargeable batteries on the side. You could strap this to a backpack and take care of you phone, GPS, and PLB tracking needs easily.

View attachment 55039

If anyone needs any more specifics on solar gear please let us know. We are an authorized dealer for Goal Zero and Brunton. We have great relations with both companies and know their products very well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94