Truck for ALCAN parts run

2500ak

Observer
A friend of mine is building up a project jeep, and the shipping on some of the larger parts is outrageous so we're going to make an adventure out of it. At the end of this semester, we're planning a parts run of epic proportions.

Though a relative we can get free tickets (standby, but we'll make it down... hopefully) to Washington. From there we'll use a house that they have in the area as a staging point. Also where the shipped parts will be sent. We'll probably be going and getting some things from scrap yards as there is a better selection in the lower 48.

I can't imagine we'll be taking more than axles, rock sliders, off-road bumpers, fenders, seats, etc... so hopefully we can get it all to fit into one longbed.

Here's the fun part. We're going to buy a used truck, and drive it back up to Alaska. Budget is probably anywhere between $2500-$7500.

We'd like to stay below 8K, but part of the beauty of this plan is that trucks have higher resale values up here, we'll at least break even, if not profit on the truck itself once we get back up (unless we get too attached, and decide to make another project out of it).

So if all goes well, all we're actually paying for is gas, and getting an adventure out of it at the same time.

I've driven the ALCAN a few times, and I think this could be a lot of fun.

On the other hand, buying an older truck and taking it strait up the ALCAN a few days later is going to take more than a little hubris in my approximation of my own wrenching abilities. If something goes wrong with the truck out in the middle of nowhere with no cell coverage it could leave us stranded.

So in choosing a truck, I should probably pick something I'm familiar with.

Engines I've worked on, and am comfortable with:
Gen-I / II Chevy SB
Gen- III Chevy LS SB
318/360 Mopar
AMC Renix i6

Engines I've worked on, and am somewhat familiar with:
Ford i6
Ford FE block

I've only ever torn into automatic chevy and dodge transmissions, and I've never rebuilt axles. Other than that I'm pretty capable in terms of wiring, diagnostics, troubleshooting etc... Also, my friend is an experienced fabricator.

Here's the problem, I kind of want a diesel. It's probably a bad idea, as I could nearly rebuild a smallblock v8 on the side of the road, but wouldn't know where to start on an oil burner.

To fit the budget it would probably have to be older, especially because I'd like 4x4 and a stickshift.

A few combos that come to mind:
NV4500 / 12v cummins
SM456 or NV4500 / 6.5L detroit
ZF / 7.3L

I've never even driven a diesel. Am I crazy for wanting this, and should I stick to what I know?

Something more along the lines of:

SM456 or 4L80e or TH400 and 350
Torqueflite 727 or 47/48RE and 318/360

I'm thinking I'd rather not have a big-block, not sure how much room there will be for gas cans. Smaller displacement smallblocks are also out. With the smallblocks, I'd favor an automatic over a stickshift.

No trucks older than 1980, and realistically probably no newer then 1996. Most likely a 3/4 ton or greater.

What do you guys think; this plan crazy enough to work? Recommendations on particular year ranges and drivetrains of trucks?

Last edited:
you cant go wrong with a first gen Dodge with a cummins in it. get one with a manual tranny. keep the fluids proper and fresh, and the damn things run forever. and you can score a nice specimen with the budget you mentioned. i picked mine up for $3400. purrs like a kitten. i had to rebuild the tranny, but im still in it for less than $5k, and i wouldnt hesitate to jump in it right now, and head cross country.

matt s

Explorer
I'm not sure you are really going to see any significant markup on the rig once it's here. But who knows, perhaps you can eek out an extra thousand out of the right buyer.

Regardless, it should be a fun run. Where I do think you could come out ahead is picking up parts for other people. Shipping on body panels etc is killer. Charge half of what it would cost to ship and throw it in the truck. I bet you could pay for a bunch a gas this way.

One thing to consider. What will Canada say about a truck full of auto parts coming across the border? Customs could be a real pain. You may need documentation of every part you have and proof that you are not selling them in Canada.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior