2006 Stewart & Stevenson/BAE 6x6 Build

Bighurt

I was wondering who won that FMTV... Only a few FMTV and LMTV vehicles have slipped through the GL channel...best of luck. Personally the problem I have with the series is that Yellow engine under the hood.

jjinmaine

Where is the 6x6 today?

Robert,
I just purchased a Unimog 2150 in Europe with CTIS, heavy axels, hydraulic winch, turbo and 114 hp.
Where is your 6x6 today and have you heard of any more coming up for auction?
Thank you.
John
John James, Bath, Maine
207-443-383
jwjamesiv@gmail.com

Interesting thoughts, but far from reality.

Since you have "read up" on the MTV line of trucks what is so low quality about the drivetrain? Caterpillar C7 330hp 6cyl diesel engine, Allison MD3070PT 7spd auto transmission with full time 6wd integrated transfer case and Arvin Meritor face mount 19k rated portal axels with ABS and real CTIS running on Michelin 395-85-20 XML radial tires mounted on a walking beam suspension? For most of us this "is" or close to top shelf here in the USA.

So far I have been able to order any part for the drivetrain right off the shelf. I just ordered a faster ring and pinion for better highway speed from an Arvin Meritor distributor. Cat has a world wide parts system to support the C7 and Allison transmission does the same for the MD3070PT.

The rest of the truck is a heavy duty steel frame, cab and a steering wheel. I even talked to the BAE built parts distributor and have no problem ordering parts from them.

When the design team put this platform idea into motion it was built from off the shelf parts for a reason. Easy to source!

So I guess I still am not sure what is so "low quality" or "hard to deal with" about the platform?

When I looked at Isuzu, UD, Mitsubishi and Hino I found very different levels of quality. The Hino is the very best of the group no question. Try finding a 2006 factory built 4x4 Hino here in the USA, let alone a 6x6. Not going to happen unless you are Bill Gates.

I am very capable in doing the 4x4 or 6x6 conversion myself but a 2wd factory cabover was not designed to be 6x6 unless you change the frame geometry....a lot. You then have a divorced transfer case that hangs down low along with other design problems, not ideal in the real world. If you look closely to the MTV chassis it is a very compact built drive train with an integrated full time transfer case that can also be locked (imagine a new Dodge 5500 engine transmission and transfer case assembly, but super sized) with axles designed for high ground clearance not just over the road low hanging diffs. Not something you can reproduce or even come close to with a "custom built" 2wd cabover.

One of the biggest reasons I chose to use this platform was cost vs performance ratio, try building a factory designed 6x6 with 116 miles for under $17k. Yes YMMV and I got very lucky but even if my time and labor were free the cost of parts alone to convert something half as capable would be 2 or 3 times more.

Again, at some later point I will go over each component and cover why is was chosen for its use, there are some very good real world applications for each. Please look over the build brochure and components it will answer most uninformed questions.

Thanks for giving me more "Rumor Mill" food for thought.

Robert.

O2Bob

Observer
High John,

The FMTV is in the design/build process. As all projects of this size, making the complicated simple just takes time. As to any more coming available, I haven't seen or heard of anything. But then again, I haven't been looking. Good luck with your Mog, they are an exceptional chassis.

-R

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Interesting thoughts, but far from reality.

Since you have "read up" on the MTV line of trucks what is so low quality about the drivetrain? Caterpillar C7 330hp 6cyl diesel engine, Allison MD3070PT 7spd auto transmission with full time 6wd integrated transfer case and Arvin Meritor face mount 19k rated portal axels with ABS and real CTIS running on Michelin 395-85-20 XML radial tires mounted on a walking beam suspension? For most of us this "is" or close to top shelf here in the USA.

So far I have been able to order any part for the drivetrain right off the shelf. I just ordered a faster ring and pinion for better highway speed from an Arvin Meritor distributor. Cat has a world wide parts system to support the C7 and Allison transmission does the same for the MD3070PT.

The rest of the truck is a heavy duty steel frame, cab and a steering wheel. I even talked to the BAE built parts distributor and have no problem ordering parts from them.

When the design team put this platform idea into motion it was built from off the shelf parts for a reason. Easy to source!

So I guess I still am not sure what is so "low quality" or "hard to deal with" about the platform?

When I looked at Isuzu, UD, Mitsubishi and Hino I found very different levels of quality. The Hino is the very best of the group no question. Try finding a 2006 factory built 4x4 Hino here in the USA, let alone a 6x6. Not going to happen unless you are Bill Gates.

I am very capable in doing the 4x4 or 6x6 conversion myself but a 2wd factory cabover was not designed to be 6x6 unless you change the frame geometry....a lot. You then have a divorced transfer case that hangs down low along with other design problems, not ideal in the real world. If you look closely to the MTV chassis it is a very compact built drive train with an integrated full time transfer case that can also be locked (imagine a new Dodge 5500 engine transmission and transfer case assembly, but super sized) with axles designed for high ground clearance not just over the road low hanging diffs. Not something you can reproduce or even come close to with a "custom built" 2wd cabover.

One of the biggest reasons I chose to use this platform was cost vs performance ratio, try building a factory designed 6x6 with 116 miles for under $17k. Yes YMMV and I got very lucky but even if my time and labor were free the cost of parts alone to convert something half as capable would be 2 or 3 times more.

Again, at some later point I will go over each component and cover why is was chosen for its use, there are some very good real world applications for each. Please look over the build brochure and components it will answer most uninformed questions.

Thanks for giving me more "Rumor Mill" food for thought.

Robert.

Lmtv's do not have portal axles. They are sweet trucks though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

O2Bob

Observer
By portal's true definition no,...... my reference was more in the design advantages incorporated into them: High differential ground clearance due to the much smaller ring and pinion size. We are talking about a forged ring gear the size of a Dodge diesel 1ton with an axel capacity of over 19k pounds. High pinion face loading axels to allow lower CG's and better driveline angles. Bevel geared outers that also allow reduction to the drive system and reduce stress loading. With a forged centered axel outer surrounded by forged pinions you create a planetary that doesn't overheat at speed and is stronger than the true axel over "portal" design. This is why the military and Arvin Meritor chose to produce this design.

Sorry for the inaccuracy I was just trying to give a common "term" to this unique drivetrain component description.

Thanks,

-R

Last edited:

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Portal is not a general term. It's an actual design. High ground Clearance doesn't mean portal. My 404 has 18" of clearance. There isn't a regular axle that would have that without 50" plus tires. :). I'm not being rude And I'm sure you understand what a portal is.
Also portals are far from weak. They got that reputation from lack of maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shevy5000