Questions on M416 Dimensions

cmeyer001

Looking to fabricate an M416 style trailer body, best as I can tell the dimensions are similar to the following.

If anyone could help clarify the dimensions, I would appreciate.

JeepTrailerBody.png

Ryan_S

Observer
Looks pretty close to me!

I measured the lower wall height at 11", upper vertical section at 4.5", and total box height at 18". But what you have there is close enough.

Good luck on the build, and post up some pics when you get going on it.

onelow1ton

Adventurer
i tried to up load a file i found on here a wile back if it does not work ill try tonight

Attachments

• M416_Trailer_EXPO[1].pdf
    39.8 KB · Views: 542

onelow1ton

Adventurer
OK it looks like it worked just click and open there are like 6 good pix with measurements and I'm going to be building mine of of them except I'm going to make my tub 24"deep instead of 18"

cmeyer001

Excellent drawing, another request, does anyone happen to have the dimensions on the fenders?

width, length (bottom edge to bottom edge), length (top of fender)?

Getting the trailer floor next week, found a good deal on 14 gauge diamond plate steel. Too thin?

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
I think that 14 gauge is plenty...the originals were somewhere around 18 gauge if my memory serves me right.

cmeyer001

trailer_001.JPG

Getting started, pulled the wheels and hubs apart tonight, going to get new bearings into it tomorrow.

Picking up the floor next week, then will be building a temporary wood box so I can do some hauling while I figure out how I want to the bed...

Need some fenders though, have to figure that out.

EDIT : I came up with a rough estimate off 24.5" across the top, and 15.25" on each angled piece, angle is 30 from vertical.

readyForFloor.jpg

Got the bearings repacked, replaced one set of bearings, the others seemed ok for now, also got the notch in the front of the frame patched.

metalBrace.jpg

The trailer came with this piece of metal welded to it, front cross member notched for clearance, not sure the purpose...

trailerFloor.jpg

Got the 14ga diamond plate floor

woodBed001.jpg

and a temporary wood box so I can start hauling stuff with the trailer, also will allow me to haul home the walls once I get those bent.

Last edited:

cmeyer001

Another question on the M416, the manual lists 8 attachment points from frame to body.
As near as I can tell these are
2 at the front, sides of the frame
3 at the rear of the frame
3 underneath down the center line that connect to the L brackets on bottom of the bed.

Is that correct ?

And in regards to fenders, I mocked them up at 16" for each rise and 20" across the top, each rise angle 30 away from vertical fore and aft, fits perfectly. If not the "factory" dimension, I suspect is pretty close...

GSequoia

Jeeps can Expo too!
You've probably already figured it out but those attachment points sound on-target to me.

How is your project going? I've got a factory original M416 I'm working on right now, I'm just starting a new frame project, basically I need a moto-carrying trailer so am using parts of the 416. End result will be two trailers for hte price of one (I just can't use them at the same time).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles