POD: Homebuilt foam core fiberglass skin pop-up camper build thread

pods8

Explorer
Glad to know UTE has a self bolt on kit!!!

This is the standard design, not a new kit or anything. Anyone that was inclined to do so can/could self install one. Mainly a bunch of bolting things together with some drilling here and there (which isn't much of a deal since its aluminum), there isn't really a nice set of directions but between talking to Randy and looking at a couple pictures I pieced it together. Main issue for others might be receiving the shipment so getting it sent somewhere for installation might have appeal. I just drove to the Kent warehouse, had it loaded onto my truck with a forklift and drove it home. At home I slid the deck backwards off (would have been easier with 2 folks but I managed solo), used my garage to pull off my bed, then pulled back in front of the deck on the ground and drug it up onto my truck once the supports were installed (again would have been easier with another set of hands).

I reworked the sides and have them installed now. Lights should be here tonight so I'll start on those, pics when I'm done with that to follow...

pods8

Explorer
Bed is fully wrapped up now (other than an eventual modified bumper). Winch carrier is installed waiting for winch arrival.

2012-08-11_16-24-18_86.jpg

2012-08-11_16-52-41_968.jpg

2012-08-11_16-53-02_198.jpg

Billhilly

Adventurer
Looks great Pods. You are definitely committed now! I meant to say earlier, those clothes bags in post 172 look the part as well. When you are dealing with just this many cubic feet of living space, you need some of them to multitask!

pods8

Explorer
Looks great Pods. You are definitely committed now! I meant to say earlier, those clothes bags in post 172 look the part as well. When you are dealing with just this many cubic feet of living space, you need some of them to multitask!

Thanks. We I'd say having a bunch of $$$ in parts and a clunky incomplete shell is more committing than putting a flatbed on. :p I got 2 of those bags in, they look nice. Into the parts pile they go...

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Bed looks great. What size did you go with? Could you provide the demensions. I want to put a flat be on mine, but I the sizes they list make them seem too wide or long or both.

Jack

pods8

Explorer
I went with a custom length, 7.5', fullsize truck model, which are 7' wide. You can adjust the length in ~6" increments (ie how wide each floor extrusion is). I believe the other bed widths are 6' and 6.5' so you could pretty much ask for any width/length combo you want if you give a call about it. I'm not positive if the floor extrusions are exactly the same on the narrower models but the same general principle would apply, the overall length can be adjusted by that increment.

The standard sizing for a fullsize truck I believe is 7' and 8'-9" depending whether you have a short or long box. The intent is to take the bed out to the edge of the bumper. Again you can lengthen/chop down as you see fit if you ask for it to be made that way.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the information, that is good to know about the size options. The website is not that clear.

Jack

pods8

Explorer
Nope it is not. Also I didn't know I could get that chopped down headboard I got prior to chatting about it, saved me the effort of cutting it down and also cost less. Other options as well are either 9" or 12" tall drop sides.

There really aren't any great install instructions either. Most is fairly straight forward but knowing how some of the mudflap brackets and such go together helps to see up close pictures of a completed install. If you ever get one and want to see what I did just let me know what you want a picture of.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I just assumed that you did chop the headboard down. Again, good to know that there are some customizing options. I'm hoping by next year, mine will be flat. Right now it is between Ute and Highway Hauler out of Oregon. HH will literally build whatever you want, you just have to pay for it...

Jack

pods8

Explorer
A 120lb box of goodies arrived this weekend, and also tweaked my back carrying it so I had to wait till later in the weekend to install. Went with a titan 12k winch. Its an import but of the reviews I've found out there they have been positive so I opted for it.
2012-08-16_17-29-56_95.jpg

Mounted and access to control box I made a bracket for an attacked to by lower radiator support.
2012-08-19_16-58-51_683.jpg

Winch respooled under tension and good to go:
2012-08-19_16-59-05_315.jpg

turbochabot

I have the same winch on my dodge 3500 and have never had an issue with it, great winch for the price. More than capable with the snatch block and double line even with the heavy diesel and camper on the truck. I ended up purchasing a portable mount so could mount front and rear, has come in handy more than once for a rear pull when I bury the front end in mud or sand.

pods8

Explorer
Cool glad its working for you.

At the moment I'm trying to figure out ****** I did to my truck while spooling up the winch under tension. Immediately after my ABS & E brake lights were flashing/dinging and it hasn't stopped. I got my electrical system fully recharged so that one is off the list. The check engine light isn't on so no codes to guide me there. I know my pads were worn and I need to pull the wheels to see which set(s) need replacement, I'll snoop around the sensors for any obvious issues at that point.

liftedlimo

Adventurer
Does your speedometer work when you lights are flashing? Just an FYI there will be codes stored when your ABS light comes on. It is a soft fault, not a hard fault, so the light is turning off. Any nicer scan tool will bring the codes up. You might of drained the battery enough and the ABS system might need to be reset from the scan tool.

pods8

Explorer
Does your speedometer work when you lights are flashing? Just an FYI there will be codes stored when your ABS light comes on. It is a soft fault, not a hard fault, so the light is turning off. Any nicer scan tool will bring the codes up. You might of drained the battery enough and the ABS system might need to be reset from the scan tool.

Speedo is fine. I've got an aeroforce gauge and it reported there were no DTC codes (don't know if the ABS codes are stored elsewhere and my gauge can't pull them). The lights are blinking and the chime is dinging, there is no turning off. I'm quite sure I drained the battery deeply, temporarily, I had hoped the ABS might reset with the battery disconnected. Guess the next stop is the auto parts store to see what their scan tool pulls up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles