Thread: POD: Homebuilt foam core fiberglass skin pop-up camper build thread

Thx.... Looked all over but never thought of that!

Default StyroSpray 1000

http://www.industrialpolymers.com/ca...-product-list/

Pods8,

Saw this coating product mentioned in the teardrop trailer forum under the Foamies section and thought of your project. Apparently the primary benefits versus fiberglass and epoxy are the speed of application and that the product gives a smooth hard coat. It is polyurea that can be sprayed, rolled or painted designed to be applied over foam. The video in the upper right talks about making a 14ft tall fake foam bottle of vodka for outdoor advertising. The whole point was that the bottle could have been done with foam, covered with fiberglass and epoxy but not with a two week deadline. This StyroSpray coating allowed it to be made in two weeks.

Has a price of 2gal for $119.06. Spec says 2200psi tensile strength and a hardness of 65 Shore D. Checking on the hardness measurement said a golf ball has a hardness of about 60 Shore D, if I got that comparison correct.

Anyway the videos are interesting.

Didn't realize you were leaving south Everett. Good luck with your move to Denver

Pods,

Have you read anything about fiberglassing over extruded polystyrene having delamination issues (bubbles) caused from off-gassing? What is the projected lifespan of a foam core fiberglassed skin?

Thanks, I hope to follow in your footsteps in the near future.

Martin

I've seen references in the surf board building world but never got anything too concrete. My confusion on their statements is XPS is a closed cell structure so it shouldn't be permeating out. I've seen references that its where damage has occurred (denting and such) to rupture the cells and then the exposed gas can now expand when heated up (surfboard in a hot car), but that doesn't entirely make sense because if its strong enough to delaminate fiberglass I'd think it strong enough to burst the XPS cells.

I sorta lean towards the issue being folks try to build surfboards very light so they're going to have thin skins and minimal resin. I heavily rough up the surface of the foam before laminating so it gives alot of surface area to key into, I don't think board builders would do that due to it taking a bit more resin. So if you've got a lower strength bond and something that is flexing a lot while being ridden and also softened by the heat of the sun I can see things delaminating but I don't know if it has to do with the gas used in manufacturing the XPS.

I can't say anything for sure though, those are just my thoughts. No idea what the projected lifespan is between the XPS and fiberglass. The fiberglass itself will depend more on UV protection.
    GONE[2003 Dodge 1500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto w/ ride rite air springs and 1999(2000?) Hawk]

2007 Dodge 2500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto soon to have: SLOWLY progressing Home built foam core fiberglass skin pop-up camper

I've got extra 14ga red and black SXL wire, $18 for 100' coil shipped if interested PM me.

Any updates?

Default you need to vent the foam or you will have delamination problems

you will need to vent the panels with either small holes along the edges or through gortex vents. the foam will outgas under heat and cause the fiberglass skin to delam from the foam. the foam is closed cell so you can have exposed foam to the elements and it will not absorb water or go with the gortex vents used in the surf and stand up paddle board industry. there are a few surfboard manufactures that build with xtr foam and they drill small holes all along the rail line of the boards and they seem to last as long as any other board construction. good luck with your project.

Quote Originally Posted by IdaSHO View Post
    Any updates?
    Not really, the garage is more organized now so I can get rolling again but we're traveling over the holidays so I'm thinking I'll get moving after the 1st of the year. Some other projects are also competing but I feel a strong motivation to get the dang shell done for spring, we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by leebonfiglio View Post
    you will need to vent the panels with either small holes along the edges or through gortex vents. the foam will outgas under heat and cause the fiberglass skin to delam from the foam. the foam is closed cell so you can have exposed foam to the elements and it will not absorb water or go with the gortex vents used in the surf and stand up paddle board industry. there are a few surfboard manufactures that build with xtr foam and they drill small holes all along the rail line of the boards and they seem to last as long as any other board construction. good luck with your project.
    I've read that but my thought process is below. I'd love to hear more on it if you know.

Here's my thought process: The cells are closed and unless the foam is damaged it would remain contained (otherwise if its evolving out willy nilly then there would be no structural strength to the foam itself). Damaged cells will allow some gas to be freed up but the pressure they can create is still a function of temperature PV=nRT. We're talking absolute temperature though so if you're working in degF you need to add 460 to get to rankine. So say the foam was formed at 50F and in a hot car got up to 150F, that 100deg F swing is a (460+150)/(460+50)= 120% PV increase (pressure * volume).

So I tend to think it goes back to what I was saying before, the combo of surfers using as little resin/glass as possible leads to a poorer bond and also more damaged foam cells under those thin skins. Combine those with a hot car and then I can start to see the 20% pressure increase causing delamination issues potentially. I'm thinking/assuming/hoping that the abraded surface I'm laminating over will allow a stronger bond, and also the thicker plys I'm applying will help avoid any damages cells in the first place.
    GONE[2003 Dodge 1500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto w/ ride rite air springs and 1999(2000?) Hawk]

2007 Dodge 2500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto soon to have: SLOWLY progressing Home built foam core fiberglass skin pop-up camper

I've got extra 14ga red and black SXL wire, $18 for 100' coil shipped if interested PM me.

Small progress but looks more substantial visibly, I fitted all the panels together with temporary screws. What'll do from here is undo one panel at a time, put thickened epoxy on the edges and screw it back in place, then the next panel. After I've got the panel edges bonded I'll laminate glass across the joints both in/out like with the bottom. The outside will be easy to do in place, in inside I think I'll pull the roof off and put it on its side or upside down so I'm not working overhead the whole time which would suck.

I need to unbox the epoxy and supplies but temperature is my biggest issue right now. I need min 45F to cure the faster of the two hardeners I have, its not that warm here lately. So I'll pick a day that I have enough time to do it all at once, and hopefully its warmer out, so I can be efficient with firing up the space heaters in the garage to heat it up and keep it heated through the initial cure.

Anyways taking shape again. Have the door/flip up walls to do after wards for panel pieces.

Great to see an update pods8! Nice progress shots. I'm soaking this all in for future reference and use. Thanks for posting everything up and being so detailed. I for one really appreciate it...
    1998 Jeep Cherokee SE
    - RE 6130 -HD SYE - Terra 2LO - 31" BFG AT - Dana 30/Dana 44 w 4.10s - ARB Front -
    SawTooth XL Off Road Trailer
    Visit my Site: http://www.sawtoothent.com

Quote Originally Posted by pods8 View Post
    Anyways taking shape again.
    Great news! Looking good.
    Tacoma - For Extended Overland Travels
    Four Wheel Camper - The TARDIS

Trip Reports - Travels with Hadley

-Nathanael
    Large Format Photography
    www.KuenzliPhotography.com

Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast