Tacoma dbl Cab - Sub's and Baby Seats Question...

slimjim

On the 2nd gen Tacoma double cabs, there are tabs on the back wall for the child safety seats. My wife has given me the go ahead to get a truck when I get back from here. I have been researching a lot of things and me and her have an agreement. I'm spending about $2k on my sound system right after i buy the truck. I have been looking at the TacoTunes ID 12" ported box that takes up the whole space behind the rear seat.

But... it jsut hit me that the install video that shows installing the box in the truck tells you to remove like 4 hooks off the back wall by drilling and prying them off.

That's what I've realized. Those hooks are for child seats. We don't have kids yet but plan on it in the future. And we are getting the double cab to have space for kids in the future.... So now that I know I can't remove those tabs... I'm at a standstill for adding a decent sub in teh truck...

Any ideas?

D

Deleted member 9101

Well... go with smaller subs under the backseat?

WASURF63

Adventurer
slimjim,

There shouldn't be any tabs in the back wall associated with child car seats that you need to worry about.
There are four anchor/hook attachments, two on each side that the carseat belt hooks clip into. They are tucked into the rear crease/fold of the seat bottom in the same vicinity where the three rear seatbelts are anchored.
Occasionally some child carseats will have an anchor tether that can go over the top/back of the seat and attach to something secure behind it.
BTW you won't be blasting the tunes much when you have a newborn> infant> toddler in the rig. :) Put the the 2k toward some decent armor.

Welcome to ExPo!

slimjim

thnx WASURF. No of course I won't. The first thing I want to do is put in a full system in. I've done a lot of partial systems. But this one is going to be the first setup where everything is complete. And my goal is to look 100% stock. I want someone to look at the interior and be able to say everything came like that stock. But I want to do the entire setup. I don't like doing things and not completing them.

About those hooks that get removed to fit the box. I'm sorry but I've never used a child seat before so I don't know what they secure to in the vehicle, but I just don't want to F myself and when the time does come, I won't be able to install a child seat. Lol.

Applejack

Explorer
I don't know how much of an audiophile you are but I was very pleased with the JBL system that came stock in my '05 Taco D/C TRD.
It had a factory sub already back there.

fire931

Adventurer
I've got a box for two 10's in mine, I didn't have to remove those hooks however with the box in I can't get to them either. One idea would be to go with a "smaller" setup. By smaller I mean I've seen custom boxes made to hold on JL pancake sub on one side and then an amp rack on the other, and the amp rack had cutouts so you could still access the hooks on that side. Try running over to TW and check out Mr. Marv, he has a business building custom enclosures for the Tacomas and I'm sure would work with you to build exactly what fits your needs the best.

slimjim

cool. thanks. In the 98 tacoma i had in highschool, I built my own sealed box with a solo L7 mounted between the rear flip-down seats. I didn't however upgrade the factory speaker. This time, I want a well-rounded system. So the speakers and amp are first this time. then the sub. I don't want crazy bass. just enough to complete the system. I wouldn't even mind a small sealed box. thye hit harder on rock and sound ok with rap. i'll hit Marv up when i get back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94