overzone vs. maggiolina airtop?

djg1971

looking to make an investment in a rooftop camper for our 2010 4runner. trying to decide between autohome "overzone" and autohome "maggiolina airtop" models. at least for the airtop, we're considering the "medium" size which i think is ~ 57" wide. some feedback from this forum might really help decide:

1) is 57" a smart idea or too wide (for a 2010 4runner)?

2) the overzone gives more floor space at a given size, but since the ladder attaches within the floor layout instead of at the edge, how much of the space, say at the corners which are hanging out in space, can actually be used? (can you put your weight out there??)

3) the airtop seems considerably more aerodynamic...realistically does it make much difference?

4) both models seem to have available awnings and changing rooms if we decide to get something like that...anyone know if these accessories are significantly different to use for one model vs. the other?

Moody

Needs to get out more
I have owned and used both the 'soft sided' and the 'hard sided' (Maggiolina and Columbus) and I wouldn't ever even consider a soft sided tent for anything but a trailer or mounted below cab height of a pickup. Having the equivalent of a large brick on top of your vehicle doesn't work well overall, in my opinion.

I would say weather resistance is better with the Maggiolina...they are more like the 4 season tents of RTT's, vs the soft sided versions.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
I agree with Mr. Moody

Both are great tents but I feel for our conditions here in North America, the hardshelled tents are better and cheaper in the long run. They are much more aerodynamic, that alone pays the added cost in something like 30,000 miles. You can keep the tent on full time ready to go. The covers of the soft tents degrade pretty quickly. On the hardshelled tents you wax them once a year.

I think the hard shelled tents are much more practical. The shells fit together nicely so all the dust, dirt and bugs stay outside and inside the tent stays nice and clean. You can have your bed and gear all set up and ready to go. I use a sleeping bag in my folding tent and sheets and a duvet in my Columbus, that alone makes it much more comfortable. The mattresses in the hardshelled tent are much thicker and more confortable. The Maggiolina is a great winter tent, stays something like 20 degrees warmer inside. It is also good in warm weather, the top deflects the sunlight, keeping the insides of the tent and the car cooler in very warm weather.

Last, if you find you don't like your hard shelled tent, resale is pretty good. Just try to find a used one.

LandyAndy

Adventurer
We were in the same decision making process last year, however, we opted for an Overzone for the following reasons :

1. Overall length is shorter (when closed) than a hard shell so I maintained some of the space on the front of my D2's roof rack for storage. That also protects the tent to some extent from trees etc.

2. I fabricated a quick mount system & use a hoist to store the tent during the week, loading takes about 10-15 minutes. Less time than it takes the wife to sort out her clothes for the weekend !

3. Fuel economy is not that much of an issue as we don't travel 1000's of km's on highway, it's all FSR's & trails.

4. When the snow flies and it hits -20 celcius we head out to the local ski hill but we do have the winter cover for early spring & fall trips. Soon to be tested out !

Also, if you look at the picture of the Overzone, the ladder is attached at the end of the tent, the vestibule extends past that point giving you a covered entry area.

Hope that helps the decision along, either way, Autohome is a good product & they stand by there warranty.

Ours was faulty (it happens) & Mike has replaced it with a brand new one which we get this weekend :wings:

This is ours.....

IMGP0327medium.jpg

Would I buy another one.... yes

Last edited:

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Stand corrected - that is really sweet

Guess that is why Autohome makes so many types of tents but it doesn't make it easy to choose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94