1979 Chevy C30 Wheel Questions

Bobfab

Observer
Hey guys, i have a question that maybe some one knows the answer to.

I have a 1979 Chevy Dump Truck (i know real expo rig!) that i use for hauling toys and mulch. The tires are spent and they are dualies in the rear, sized 16.5"x8.75". That tire size is pretty aukward and I cant find a suitable replacement for cheap (its over a $1000 for all 6). At my workplace we have an endless amount of 16" Van and truck takeoff tires for free with plenty of life left. My question is what other chevys of that vintage share that bolt pattern or could be acceptable replacements for the 16.5's that i have on there now? Any ideas or places to look?

I tried a couple google searches on the topic but nothing really conclusive! Thanks guys :sombrero:

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
All of the eight lug wheels are 8 on 6.5" bolt pattern, except late model Ford, so the bolt patterns will all match. The issue with the dual rear wheel trucks is that the wheels are hub centric, meaning they center on the hubs and not the lug bolts like most other vehicles. You need wheels with the proper size center hole for your axle. I believe most GM axles have a hub size of 4.56 inches. Dodge is 4.77" and Ford is . . . I think about 4.9," so a GM wheel will not fit Dodge or Ford, and you CANNOT use Ford or Dodge on a GM. It will go on and bolt in place, but it will not be centered properly, and the weight of the truck will not be adequately supported. Eventually, the lugs will fail, the wheels will come off, and you will have a major incident on your hands.

Craigslist is a good place to look for wheels. I've bought a number of both new and used wheels there at very good prices. Last year I bought a set of 4 brand new factory GM dually wheels for $80. Make sure you get the wheels with round valve stem holes, made for tubeless tires. The ones that were made for tube-type tires have an oval valve stem hole. Also, most big tire shops have used wheels available.

As you've found, 16.5" tires are still available, but they're essentially obsolete. But even changing over to 16s I don't think you're going to save much if any money. A 16 and a 16.5 of equal quality are going be pretty much the same price. The 16s are just easier to find and you have a much wider selection.

JP

Bobfab

Observer
JP,

Thanks for that info and the fast response! I will start searching for wheels on CL and have had great success sourcing used wheels on there. I just wasn't even sure where to start or what my selection from other manufacturers would be.

As far as the tires, i have a source of endless free 16" tires that would more than likely fit on a 8.5" truck wheel if i can find a reasonably priced set of donor wheels. I will have the hubs measured and begin shopping. Thanks for the help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne