Croc Hunter '92 MJ

Gaucho919

Adventurer
Hello, my friend convinced to start a thread on my MJ. I've been working on it for a few weeks now, collecting parts. My goal is to build a Jeep Comanche similar to Steve Irwin's Toyota Ute. He was my childhood hero, and an exemplar human being, I am doing this in memory of him. It is gonna be slow, but gotta start somewhere.
The truck:
'92 MJ 4.0, 2wd, manual ax-15

The plan is:
White or Tan paint
'96 4.0 engine from an XJ with 70k miles
NV3550(from '04 TJ with 90k)
Ford 8.8
Dana 30 HP
4.10:1 gears
3 or 4" lift
31's or 33x10.50s(undecided)
ARB snorkel
Ute bed
Metric Tonne springs

Day of purchase
IMG_0099.jpg

Initial teardown
IMG_0386.jpg

'96 4.0
IMG_0396.jpg

Goal
IMG_0387.jpg

Thanks guys

Gaucho919

Adventurer
I understand Steve drove a landcruiser. I drove 2010 Land cruiser 70s myself while in Africa a few months ago. Best trucks in the world in my opinion, however due to parts availability and personal budget I have to settle for the Comanche, settle might not be the correct word bc I love Comanches.

BEVAN

Adventurer
I'm just down the road in Hampstead, Let me know if you would like a hand in the build.

adrenaline503

Explorer
You can get an aluminum Ute bed from Ute Ltd for about 2k. Maybe more since they are distributed out of Seattle, but they do make a size for a Commanche.

wADVr

Adventurer
Cool, it appears to be a long bed truck. Any plans to change the length with the flat bed? the factory MJ bed is a funky(and long) 7'4" or so IIRC.

Gaucho919

Adventurer
The Jeep is a shortbed, I'm gonna build my own flatbed. Right now I'm cleaning the engine and getting the engine bay ready for paint, The old motor leaked everywhere, which is kindda good since it kept the rust away

BEVAN- I'm working on it pretty slow right now, I could definitely use a hand in the near future, what kind of jeep do you drive?

wADVr

Adventurer
Guess I wasnt looking very closely. Looking forward to watching this project, i would love to have a MJ again to do something similar.

wADVr

Adventurer
Cab forward is unibody and aft is boxed frame rails with the bed mounted like a normal truck.

Gaucho919

Adventurer
UPDATE
UPDATE
The truck is coming slow and steady, so much to do!

got the engine bay pressure washed
DSC_0148.jpg

the engine cleaned and painted
DSC_0165.jpg

tranny cleaned
DSC_0167.jpg

New intake manifold/clean water pump and oil pan
DSC_0161.jpg

Gaucho919

Adventurer
hello gents I've made enough progress to deserve an update

-primed/painted the engine bay

-Got the engine/tranny hooked up and in the truck(still need a t-case from the junkyard)

-got the 8.8 mocked up in the rear

-Still undecided on whether I should get a slip yoke eliminator or not(so I can't weld the spring perches on yet)

I think the spring over looks pretty good, both my main leafs are sagging, rest of the leafs looks ok. Might order some metric tonne springs from hellcreek along with some XJ shackles to bring it down a bit.
for the front I'm thinking old man emu 4" springs with some 3/4" spring spacers

DSC_0174.jpg

DSC_0176.jpg

DSC_0178.jpg

DSC_0181.jpg

DSC_0182.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne