Extended Range Gas Tank for Wranglers.

cybercat

Adventurer
I'm picking mine up on Friday:wings:

update: Installed on Monday fits tighter than a leather glove on a football player in a murder trial.

Last edited:

86cj

Explorer
Great news on the Gen-Right tanks shipping..........
I can't wait to see your installs.......I am jealous, congrats on the purchases....

I hope Gen-Right makes them for some time as I really can't swing it right now. I just got back from a couple thousand mile camping trip to NH and Maine.
I really would have liked the new LJ tank for that trip. I seemed to fuel up at around 12 to 14 gallons on avg so the usable range would be very appreciated.
The (start looking for fuel) stress seems to happen way to often on a big miles day especially when its hot or windy.

DevEmp

I finished my body lift last night, and I'm taking a break on putting the motor mount lift as I type. I picked up my tank yesterday from Tony and I'll hopefully be putting it in next weekend. The driver's side mount was a pain in the ass... I hope the tank goes a bit smoother than the MML.

I'm debating on doing the tank tomorrow. I put some miles on the Jeep and everything came out alright as far as I can tell. 4Hi & 4Lo work as they did before, no excessive body roll.. there are some noticable vibrations from the MML, but it's not something that I won't get used to. I need to re-read the instructions and see if I can do it in half a day...

Last edited:

DevEmp

I stuffed the tank in today. I'd say it was easier if not quicker than the motor mount lift. It holds just over 31.5 gallons in it, depending on how much I spilled from the Jerry can. The back of the Jeep seems heavier, but it could be all in my mind. The exhuast is too close for my liking, I'm probably going to have to do something to get the tail off of the skid plate. Other than that, plan on 3 hours if you do it slow.

SavageSunJeep

Adventurer
I looked at that and like and dislike 30 gals fuel tanks but that is just a personal thing...[Buddy of mine and myself were kicking around in Dallas one eve and he stopped at the Mobil station at the corner of Oaklawn and Lemon Ave to fill up is 30 gal tank on his Corvette; I cruised on down to some bar to meet him later. He pulls out and a guy in a Lincoln, who is DRUNK, nails him in the rear. He comes away nary a scratch and my buddy and Corvette burn to the ground. 1965, I will never forget.]

Anyhow, you speak of cutting out a cross member and therein iies my concern. I cut mine out and relocated it to just beind the rear tub lip. Clearly I feel strongly about protecting the tank :gunt:

Can I get you guys to shed some light on this from the install and protection POV...thanks.

Paradiddle

I have the Enduro in my TJ. The added capacity is nice. You will loose some ground clearance over a typical high-clearance skid (AMC, IMF, Warn, etc.) but the added capacity should be a huge advantage for any type of long range wheeling/driving.

The only reason I installed one was that I melted a hole in my stock tank after the exhaust got pushed into it while wheeling. It made sense to me to get a metal tank versus the composite a TJ comes with - plus I liked the added fuel.

Jeff

DevEmp

jeepboyd said:
If I'm not mistaken if that tank fits the LJ then it should fit my TJ too, correct?

You might be mistaken. The tank is longer than the TJ tank, so much so that it goes from the rear crossmember to about an inch and half from the rear diff. I'm pretty sure you don't have that much room in a TJ, but I don't have one handy to measure.

SavageSunJeep said:
Anyhow, you speak of cutting out a cross member and therein iies my concern. I cut mine out and relocated it to just beind the rear tub lip. Clearly I feel strongly about protecting the tank. Can I get you guys to shed some light on this from the install and protection POV...thanks.

There's a crossmember a few inches in front of the rear most crossmember, it has to removed for the tank to fit (see my above comment). It's my understand that it's primary purpose was for mounting of the stock tank. I think GenRight will be providing some sort of plate the will help offset the removal of crossmember. The skid plate GenRight provides is thicker than the stock gas tank skid, so it's well protected, and supposedly it sits higher than the stock tank, too.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
DevEmp,

How has the Safari tank been treating you? I have been super lazy and as of yet, not installed the tank. However, I did receive the reinforcement plate. Everything is painted and sitting in the Garage. My plan is to install everything Saturday.

Do you have any words of wisdom for me?

madizell

Explorer
maximumrob said:
31.5 gallons X $2.65/gal = $83.48 for a fill-up. Ugh.

Try this: 36 gallon total capacity, $1.96 PER LITER. Then we went out and raced in the desert. Three refills over the course of a week. Gas in the U.S. is still cheap by comparison.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Monkey,

Welcome to the Safari Club. I will post up my thoughts on the install this weekend. From reading the instructions, I am expecting this to be really easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94