diesel fuel filter / water separator

omaha_rick

Observer
i am looking into aftermarket fuel filter / water separator / heater units for my 6.2L detroit diesel. anybody have any experience with any of these? good, bad, or ugly?? help

thanks
-rick

Albin

Adventurer
Can't help with the heater part of it, but here's fairly decent list of fuel filters that show which one have drains etc.

Don't like Napa/Wix, just cross to your favorite brand and go to town.

Good luck.

Attachments

• Fuel Filter Comparison Chart 08-08-08.pdf
    10.6 KB · Views: 38

FreeManDan

Adventurer
The only heated fuel filter I've ever known of was a custom one from greasecar.com. But I'm from down south so who knows what they have up north...

bugnout

Adventurer
Racor (Parker Hannifin) makes a very nice fuel handler. I replaced the stock unit on my CRD with the RACOR 245. It will take either a 10 micron or 2 micron filter element, has a fuel heater, and optional water in fuel sensor. I added a fuel temp sensor to make my ECU happy.

These are designed for marine applications.

go2marine

Albin

Adventurer
Rick, look at the list I posted. Most of those filters are $10 or less, depending on which one(s) select.

The 3770 filter head is getting hard to find as-is. But it's easy if you just go to the Perma-Cool site and order their 1-14" threaded filter head, it's a little bit more than the $24 but not much more. Summitracing.com also has the Perma-Cool filter head.

So for $50 or so with some hoses and clamps, you should be gtg.

Good luck.

overlander

Expedition Leader
Racor (Parker Hannifin) makes a very nice fuel handler. I replaced the stock unit on my CRD with the RACOR 245. It will take either a 10 micron or 2 micron filter element, has a fuel heater, and optional water in fuel sensor. I added a fuel temp sensor to make my ECU happy.

These are designed for marine applications.

go2marine

x2. I have 2 racors on my TDI 110, and one has the heater. both are filter/seperators. superb units. they also have a very powerful manual priming pump on the filter head for priming the lines whenever needed.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Racor. There are a number of options for them including things like a high water level warning, buzzer or light. Very good if you're operating in an area with poor fuel quality so you can drain the bowl before it gets to your pump.

omaha_rick

Observer
awesome! thank you for all the help!

too bad fixing one problem seems to make three more show up. was working on buttoning up the engine swap tonite, went to put my radiator in and found a sweet hole that took out two or three cores. looks like someone dropped it or something on it and 'forgot' to tell me. figures, this entire swap has been this way. but all is not lost, yet, found a 4core all aluminum unit online $215 and free shipping. gotta love free shipping. can not freaking wait to :smiley_drive: this thing.

here is the only good pic i have right now
0311111254a.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles