Bi-Polar Mental Excercise: Suburban or Grand Cherokee

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Sounds to me like you're tired of your truck and it's not so much that you're truck won't do what you need, being new to this I'm not sure what your LWB will do (or won't do) but from a financial stand point are you sure you're not better off just keeping it? Looks like a nice vehicle to me.

I went through a consolidation of vehicles and was going to sell my 99 F-150 with 68K last year, it now has 71K. I can't buy a better vehicle for what it is for the same money. I know my truck and won't know diddely about another vehicle. Even if gas goes to $5, there is not that much difference in MPG with any 4x4 of that size. I don't see any financial upside, unless it has significant costly problems.

I think I could buy just about any new mid size truck out there with the sales tax money and license fees I have paid over the years of changing vehicles.My dad told me I couldn't buy them all, and I use to say I can try. Meaning I traded vehicles way too often and it's clearly a waste of money.
I bought my 99 new and I have had it longer than any vehicle in my life and rarely used it.

I just don't see much difference between what you have and what it's being replaced with, I would think you have more useable room for camping with that truck than a burb. But good luck!

Little Red

Adventurer
Suburban or Grand Cherokee?

I would say get an 89-91 Suburban. I have an 89 suburban myself that is my project/expo vehicle. Before I had this I had a 2000 Dodge Durango (similar in size to the Grand Cherokee). And as much as I loved the Durango I have to admit it was too small for 2 adults, dogs and camping gear. I have done a few vehicle camping trips with it but usually we would either sleep in a tent or sometimes a motel.

Now that I have the suburban, 2 people can sleep in the back relatively comfortably and there is still enough room for the dogs and camping gear.
That being said, the Durango had more power, was much faster and more comfortable therefore more fun to drive. But when it comes down to “usability” the Suburban was the right choice for me and I enjoy working on it. I am currently putting on a roof rack, snorkel and sleeping platform in the back.

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
Ozarker: My current truck has no issues, and I'm not considering selling it because I'm unhappy with it. My thought process is purely economical. If I can leverage my equity and replace my seldom-used truck with something significantly less expensive, then I free up a decent amount of cash to help eliminate other debt.

Little Red: That's basically what I'm thinking right now. I'm still trying to look at all angles, so I'm not in a hurry to make a decision.

jturkey69

Observer
I will add my .02

we had the very unfortunate experience of being forced into filing bankruptcy 3 yrs ago ( a good story in itself really) while owning a 7.3 4x4 Excursion, and uplander van... after that was over, we had to scramble and find a couple vehicles fast as we lost both. A comment my wife made was from now on if we cant buy it for cash, we dont need it. so fast forward a few years, and few vehicles later we are finally driving a couple of respectable looking vehicles that cart our many kids around daily, and even had enough money for a muscle car project. So personally, if I was in your shoes, and based on your use of the truck, I would sell it, find a nice 89-91 suburban (you must live in the rust free zone?) and enjoy the extra pocket money from payments, and maybe even insurance? Not to mention prices of replacement engines for a suburban new are cheaper then your trucks engine used!!!
We are also very close to making a deal on a 89-91 gen suburban, and here is some more ammo for you....newer model seats can be found on craigslist daily, couple that with some sound deadening material, and whatever creature comforts you want installed, there is the room to do it...want 4 captains chairs? you have the room...want a wrap around fainting couch?...ditto again...lol...possibilities are endless when you and your wife make a plan...google some pics (this is how I got my wife to see what can be done inside a suburban...LOL) Best of luck to ya! Im hoping to be a "Brick Burb" driver by spring at the latest!

1leg

Explorer
If I had to do it again. I would buy a 1/2 ton with the overdrive automatic, and upgrade the axles to 3/4 ton. I sure wish I had an overdrive sometimes and barn doors.

jturkey69

Observer
If I had to do it again. I would buy a 1/2 ton with the overdrive automatic, and upgrade the axles to 3/4 ton. I sure wish I had an overdrive sometimes and barn doors.

I can agree with the lack of OD...lol..my wagon hates me on the highways at 70mph and 15-16 mpg...lol...I get around 20 in town though.
although some of the 3/4 burbs came with 4l80

theicecreampeople

Adventurer
you could split the difference in size and go with a FJ80. I see those going for decent prices if you don't mind the high miles.

yes the best idea ....but if jeep or burb ,well i would say size ...i have a f250 and a fj ..thought about getting rid of the fj ,going through same thig as you ,but to be honest i could not go places i go with the 250 ,its just way to big ..ive wheeled with cherokees my dad had the vintage ,89 ish and a few other guys ,super impressed and not much moding needed ..but a few weeks ago wheeled with a couple toyota 80s ,wish i went that way ,they rock and are very nicely priced ..went everywhere i did with ease for there size ..hope this helps and best wishes for the future ...:smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior