Blue Sea Fuse Block in the Engine Compartment?

kjp1969

Explorer
I'm getting ready to run an aux power system, which will consist of battery 12v through a Blue Sea 6 Fuse block. It will power an inverter, CB, a couple of 12v outlets and eventually a 2m radio. I'm trying to decide where to mount the fuse block:
5025.jpg

Ideally it would be in the center console, but it looks like it will take up a fair bit of space there. I could mount it in the engine compartment near the battery, but I'm concerned about heat, dust and mud. There are third and fourth possible locations under the dash, with a slight risk of getting kicked.

Has anyone had any issues mounting one of these under the hood?

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Good question!

I've got my Blue sea unit sitting in a drawer while I ponder the same question. From what I've heard, these units are very solid and would do ok underhood.

I'm not 100% sure that's what I'll do, though, so I'm interested to see other opinions.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Do they have models that are alittle more waterproof than the one that is displayed above?

not sure, but this one is definitely not water proof. It is very well insulated though.

Do "bussed" components like this need to be waterproof? I'm pretty sure our stock fuses aren't waterproof...

Good conversation. thanks!

Last edited:

Expedition Leader
I have mine on the interior side of the firewall. Having said that, water spray is not going to hurt one of these under the hood. Might not want to subject it to lengthy submersion, but anything short of that will be OK. Mount it up as high as practical in the engine compartment.

kjp1969

Explorer
I have mine on the interior side of the firewall. Having said that, water spray is not going to hurt one of these under the hood. Might not want to subject it to lengthy submersion, but anything short of that will be OK. Mount it up as high as practical in the engine compartment.

I don't think any other part of my truck would stand up to lengthy submersion either!

Thanks for the input- mine will probably go under the hood for the sake of a clean install.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I'm gonna hook these up to mine:

-Helle 700ff's(2)
-Cobra CB radio
-Yaesu 2800 or maybe the charging dock for a handheld (not sure yet)
- 12v outlet in the rear compartment for a fridge
-12v incab compressor

With one spot left over, if I decide I need more lights or accessories.

Intuit

Observer
There should be absolutely no problems with mounting the BlueSea under the hood. I have mine (6 circuit) under the hood; no issues to date. You must remember, these were "engineered" for marine applications and weather has little to no effect to them. In regards to heat; I do not believe you have anything to worry about. My only "dilemma" or "concern" is whether I should have powered it as a constant 12 volts or should I have done 12 volt switched?? I went with 12 volt constant...but I must remember to shut everything down when the engine is off. Good choice with the BlueSea; you will not be disappointed!

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
There should be absolutely no problems with mounting the BlueSea under the hood. I have mine (6 circuit) under the hood; no issues to date. You must remember, these were "engineered" for marine applications and weather has little to no effect to them. In regards to heat; I do not believe you have anything to worry about. My only "dilemma" or "concern" is whether I should have powered it as a constant 12 volts or should I have done 12 volt switched?? I went with 12 volt constant...but I must remember to shut everything down when the engine is off. Good choice with the BlueSea; you will not be disappointed!

Can I take my hot lead off the existing fuse block under the hood, somehow, for a 12v switched connection?

I'd rather my setup be powered down with the switch off, other than maybe the 12v fridge connection. That one I'd like to have constant.

Expedition Leader
Can I take my hot lead off the existing fuse block under the hood, somehow, for a 12v switched connection?

I'd rather my setup be powered down with the switch off

Not difficult to do; run the power input from the battery through a relay, and tap into any on-with-ignition wire (or fuse) for the trigger on the relay.

other than maybe the 12v fridge connection. That one I'd like to have constant.

Then just wire that straight to the battery.

Intuit

Observer
Not difficult to do; run the power input from the battery through a relay, and tap into any on-with-ignition wire (or fuse) for the trigger on the relay.

Then just wire that straight to the battery.

Yes, just as 1911 stated...the "hot wire" going into the BlueSea will come from a relay. My only concern would be the amperage of the relay used. If it were me, I would install a constant duty 12 volt solenoid (same as a relay). If not using a constant duty...and using a standard relay; 30 is input from battery (constant), 86 goes to ground, 85 from 12 volt switched, and 87 to the BlueSea. Again though, if I were you, I would run a solenoid (just my opinion). Not hard to do and roughly costs about $20.00. I run one for my inverter and works great.

kjp1969

Explorer
My 12v and ground will come from the battery, to ensure the cleanest power for the comms.

Yes, just as 1911 stated...the "hot wire" going into the BlueSea will come from a relay. My only concern would be the amperage of the relay used. If it were me, I would install a constant duty 12 volt solenoid (same as a relay). If not using a constant duty...and using a standard relay; 30 is input from battery (constant), 86 goes to ground, 85 from 12 volt switched, and 87 to the BlueSea. Again though, if I were you, I would run a solenoid (just my opinion). Not hard to do and roughly costs about $20.00. I run one for my inverter and works great.

I'll do this too, with a switch to override the ignition-on requirement. This will ensure that some day I will forget and run down my battery. At least until I get my battery brain installed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles