Hand built hard-side, pop-up camper

Home Skillet

Observer
Hello all,

I actually started a post in the "Nissan" section of the forum awhile back with this build, but got really little interest (I think I picked the wrong section). So, I thought that starting a new thread here would be a better place.

I have been building a carbon fiber, built-on camper for my 2006 Nissan Titan. This project started in May of 2010 with design and specs and actual construction started in October of 2010.

The goal: A light-weight, tough, hard-sided, self-reliant, pop-up camper that would allow me and my capable Titan to go anywhere.

The construction is carbon fiber/foam laminate all hand built with a skim coat of polyester filler/primer and then professional auto quality primer, paint, and clear coat.

It has been a heck of a journey so far (and I am only half way done), but totally worth it.

Some of you may have been following me over at hookedupfilms.com, but I wanted to introduce the project here in hopes of some input as I move into the interior and systems part of the build. I really respect this community and its aggregate knowledge.

We are now working on the interior and I will be posting some more pics in the days to come.

The Foundation:
IMG_4073.jpg

The pre-built foam mold
IMG_4086.jpg

The aluminum support for the cabover
IMG_4088.jpg

The Carbon fiber on the foam
IMG_4165-300x200.jpg

The carbon fiber skin
IMG_4161-300x200.jpg

Back with door
IMG_4164-300x200.jpg

Right side with filler/primer
IMG_4193-300x200.jpg

Left side with filler/primer
IMG_4191-300x200.jpg

Painted camper shell on Titan
IMG_4209-300x200.jpg

Shot of the back
IMG_4211-300x200.jpg

Head on view with overhead lights pre-formed.
IMG_4214-300x200.jpg

5 months of weekend work to get to this point, minus some fishing days.
Total estimated weight: around 350-400 lbs.

Home Skillet

Last edited:

windsock

Adventurer
Wow, another one to be watching with great interest, and carbon fibre to boot, awesome - 300lb is a light for the footprint, good stuff. :victory:

A great read on your website. Well documented and a credit to you. Thanks for putting it out there for all to read.

All the best on the rest of the build and 'tightlines' while away from it. :wings:

dinoevo

Adventurer
Interesting project you have there for sure. Haven't seen many Carbon Fibre build-ups so far. You blog is in my feedreader for quite some time now. Keep us up-to-date!

Cheers

Home Skillet

Observer
Interesting project you have there for sure. Haven't seen many Carbon Fibre build-ups so far. You blog is in my feedreader for quite some time now. Keep us up-to-date!

Glad to hear you've been following along. Any suggestions or imput would be greatly appreciated. I don't have as much expedition experience as many of you, so don't be shy about offering improvment ideas.

BTW, is the feed working well for you? I have had some trouble in the past with it.

Thanks,
Home Skillet

Home Skillet

Observer
Wow, another one to be watching with great interest, and carbon fibre to boot, awesome - 300lb is a light for the footprint, good stuff. :victory:

A great read on your website. Well documented and a credit to you. Thanks for putting it out there for all to read.

All the best on the rest of the build and 'tightlines' while away from it. :wings:

Wow, thanks for the props and 'tightlines' back at ya!

Home Skillet

haven

Expedition Leader
Great project! Thanks for sharing with us on ExPo. Did you or your partners have any experience working with composite materials before you started building?

The goal for this project is to provide living space plus a work area for video production. We'll all be interested to see how you work this out!

Kilroy

Adventurer
Nice build. It's certainly going to be well insulated. Thanks for sharing. Couple of questions.

Is that 1 1/2" foam, can't really tell from pictures.

Did you lay the carbon fiber on with epoxy resin?

Home Skillet

Observer
Great project! Thanks for sharing with us on ExPo. Did you or your partners have any experience working with composite materials before you started building?

The goal for this project is to provide living space plus a work area for video production. We'll all be interested to see how you work this out!

I am really enjoying the feedback and interest.

No prior experience with composites. I had done a little work with fiberglass, but only small stuff. It was a steap learning curve.

As far as video production goes, it will mostly be simple editing and off-loading data. That said, I am working on a compact design that might work well in the seating area for lap-top and video equipment to plug in. We will see.

Home Skillet

Home Skillet

Observer
Nice build. It's certainly going to be well insulated. Thanks for sharing. Couple of questions.

Is that 1 1/2" foam, can't really tell from pictures.

Did you lay the carbon fiber on with epoxy resin?

Thanks. It will be around R8-12 in most places, should be warm in winter and cool in summer.

I used a variety of foam thickness depending on the end shape I was after.
There is quite a bit of detail on my blog (referenced early in the thread) if you are wanting more info. The walls range from 1" thick to 3" thick.
Yes, I did use epoxy resin (West Systems).

Home Skillet

flywgn

Explorer
Say Skillet,

We'll be coming through Bend Tuesday afternoon (4/12/11) on the way to Sisters and returning Thursday a.m. Any chance of seeing your camper?

Allen R

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles