Multi-question Xterra thread...

Ok, I have cranked the torsions about 1 1/4"-1 1/2" to level the truck out to the rear shackles.

Question one and two. I am thinking about going with the 33 x 9.5--15
BFG all terrains. I am just wondering if these tires will fit. Yes I know there will be some trimming to do. These tires will be put on stock wheels. I'm just concerned if that will throw things out of wack? That is going by the tall and narrow tire idea.... I live in a world of flatness....

Question three and four. I like the way the xterra sits now and am wondering if it will be fine to run the X with just this "poor mans lift" without sacrificing the joints and such? I will have the money to do a proper lift, but if it isnt necessary..... Would buying new torsion bars be the way to go?

Question five and six. I have to replace my shocks soon. I already have one blown. Looks like the majority of guys put bilstein shocks on the truck, but I am really considering the Rancho RS9000X adjustable shocks. But I was wanting yall's feedback about them. With the torsion crank and shackles will the shocks fit OK or will I need shorter stock sized ones?

I think thats about it... but I'm sure I'll think of something.
Thanks
Scott

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
GlowinGreenklr650 said:
Looks like the majority of guys put bilstein shocks on the truck, but I am really considering the Rancho RS9000X adjustable shocks. But I was wanting yall's feedback about them. With the torsion crank and shackles will the shocks fit OK or will I need shorter stock sized ones?

I would check in with the Xterra clan on that one. I have them on my Trooper and I'm not overly pleased with them. The are simultaneously too harsh and wallowy and the travel is very limited on them due to the design. Bilstien and OME offer much more.

hattrik21

Adventurer
I'll do my best to help as I previously had an 02 X.

1. I believe a 32 is the biggest you can fit without major trimming or a 2' BL or a 3" SL.

2. I don't think it will throw things out of whack right up front but in the end you may want to upgrade to a heavy duty steering system.

3/4. The factory torsion bars may weaken faster with them torqueded so high so as in question 1, a 3" SL with heavy duty torsion bars would last longer and be less likely to break.

5/6. I had bilsteins on my 05 and they were pretty good but I've upgraded to the RSX9000's. They adjustability is really awesome as you can dial in the ride for whatever your on. As far as lenght goes, I'm not sure as I never lifted my 02, just the PML which in the end helped wear out the front end so before trading her in, I had to fix a few things and I was only running 31 MT's.

I hope that helps and if needed you can always check on the XOC board if you haven't already.

xface

Observer
well i have 33x10.50's on my x right now I love them but they are to much for the stock steering, i would upgrade ASAP.

I fot my 33's fine with only a SL no BL. I love ther way it handels and rides now.

just be carfull and do not put the ball joints and TRE's at crazy angels they will wear very fast and will start to make funky sounds.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
GlowinGreenklr650 said:
Question three and four. I like the way the xterra sits now and am wondering if it will be fine to run the X with just this "poor mans lift" without sacrificing the joints and such? I will have the money to do a proper lift, but if it isnt necessary..... Would buying new torsion bars be the way to go?
Not a Nissan person, so I'm not going to be much help. But I have torsion IFS, so this much I can tell you. Turning the adjustment on the bars does not change the spring rate, you are just adding pre-load to change the ride height. Change to thicker torsion bars only if you are adding weight to the truck with a bumper, winch, etc. If the weight of the truck is stock or close to it, the stock sized bars will give you a better ride. All torsion bars will eventually fatigue, but cranking them up a little on a stock truck won't make it happen all that much faster. Putting lots more weight on the truck and/or then cranking them up a crazy amount will make it happen faster.

Keeping the stock bump stops and just turning the pre-load up won't necessarily break CV joints. They are kept within their functional limits. But running them at their limits could accelerate their wear, just that they won't be instant grenades. If you have manual hubs, then torsion lift isn't going to make much difference in the life of a CV joint. If you have a diff disconnect system that leaves the half shafts spinning all the time, then running the CV at its limit is going to reduce its life.

To judge how spring rate increases, since the length of the rod is not changing, you only need to compare the change in diameter. The quick and dirty way is to take the two bar diameters to the fourth and divide. This will give you a thumbnail ratio of how much stiffer a new torsion bar will be. So in the case of most stock Toyota pickups, the stock bar is 22.5mm and the aftermarket bars are usually either 25mm or 26mm. I went with the Sway-A-Way 25mm because it is roughly 1.5 times higher spring rate (25mm^4 / 22.5mm^4 = 1.52). The difference in my case was about 12 turns from stock to about 3 to hold up an ARB bull bar at roughly a 1" increased suspension height. A 26mm torsion rod was roughly 1.8 times higher spring rate, which seemed to me would be much too stiff.

Last edited:

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
I agree with Hattrick on 1 and 2.

On a side note...ever think of just 32's? Larger tires will definitely prematurely your TRE's as well as BJ's. If you crank too much watch out for killing CV's as well. Also some people have been known to have problems getting everything back in alignment after the lift as well.

PML shouldn't stress the setup too much. You'll definitely feel the difference since your reducing the down play of the arms. I'd definitely upgrade the tbars at some point. ESPECIALLY if you put armor up front!

I have the 9000X with the in cab controller. They're great but I doubt I'd ever install that...setup again. I like the 9000X's and I've heard just as many kudo's if not more about the Bilsteins. Definitely need longer ones. Not sure of the numbers.

Thanks guys.
A couple questions from your replies.

A larger tire will accelerate the wear right? Is it the height or the added weight? If so the 33x9.50 15 BFG AT is 39lbs while the 31x 10.50 is 41lbs...

It is also narrower and the overall diameter is 32.7 inches.

I will get the suspension lift. My tires are just about worn out thats why I went ahead and did the PML so that I can get the new tires. But, if the 33's wont fit, then I suppose I should reconsider height. I was wanting to get some 16" wheels so that I had a decent range of sizes... but i'd like to save a little bit of money.

I'll probably get the rs900x shocks and later get the incab controller. I'd think the adjustability would be ideal. Because I'll spend plenty of time on the hwy and alot of time on gravel and dirt roads. So adjustability would be nice.

Which suspension lift is recommended? The SLR shackles are of high quality, but I didnt care for their customer service.
I'm thinking the AC package would probably be the way I'll go. Unless I am persuaded otherwise.

Thanks,
Scott

dirtysouth

Adventurer
I have 235/85/16 BFG AT's on my 02 Xterra which is close to 32x9.50's I believe and I don't think you could go any bigger without doing any mods. Other than the tires, my X is completely stock.

dirtysouth said:
I have 235/85/16 BFG AT's on my 02 Xterra which is close to 32x9.50's I believe and I don't think you could go any bigger without doing any mods. Other than the tires, my X is completely stock.

That was the other tire size I was considering, but that would require buying new wheels... something I am hesitant to do. I think I am just going to get 31x10.50s and later once I get the lift on I may get new wheels and tires.

dirtysouth

Adventurer
GlowinGreenklr650 said:
That was the other tire size I was considering, but that would require buying new wheels... something I am hesitant to do. I think I am just going to get 31x10.50s and later once I get the lift on I may get new wheels and tires.

My 02 came with the 16" wheels but I actually thought about getting a set of 15" wheels which were also available in 02 just to keep the cost of tires down. You could buy four 15" black crager soft 8 wheels and four bfg at's in a 31X10.50 for the price of the 235/85/16. That is something to consider if you plan on keeping the Xterra for awhile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles