Homemade bike rack for camper....

JJMAC

Adventurer
Was going to purchase a full yakima set and the cost was just too much. So I decided to make a homemade rack using superstruts and cone nuts.

I am just waiting for the silicone to dry and then it will be painted black and I will at other accessories. Fits 4 bikes. Final pics to follow..

wl3nzt.jpg

6pqfkz.jpg

2dt7nv6.jpg

2isfkhu.jpg

wvbj48.jpg

2dkbgox.jpg

O2Bob

Observer
Nice job!

I really like the idea, I could not believe what the rails cost from REI. Great solution. What do you think you saved in $$

-R

JJMAC

Adventurer
Superstrut was $18 bucks for a 10'. I bought two of those. Nuts and bolts. and a tube of silicone. I already had the basket and fork mounts. So I am in for about $65.

The cost for just the Yakima track, bars, towers and landing pads was about $300. Add another $300 for 4 bike mounts...

Heading to the n rim next month, so we will see how it does......

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Very nice.:victory:
I love using superstrut for stuff. Made my Hi-Lift jack holder out of it for one side of the truck bed and a shovel/axe holder for the other. Also trying to figure a way to makea simple,but functional tie-down system out of it.

JJMAC

Adventurer
Very nice.:victory:
I love using superstrut for stuff. Made my Hi-Lift jack holder out of it for one side of the truck bed and a shovel/axe holder for the other. Also trying to figure a way to makea simple,but functional tie-down system out of it.

I used 3/8 eye bolts and screwed them into 3/8 cone nuts and it gives you a stable eyebolt to tie off from.....

Scoutman

Explorer
So how has this been working? Does the rear end of the bike just get strapped down using the eye bolts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior