Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: No refrigeration needed

The classic from Hemingway's Big Two Hearted River - onions, salami, crackers.
    Mike S
    Life is short...
    Quit your job.
    Turn off the TV.
    Go outside and play.

Our Website: AutoHomeUSA
    My Blog: Living with Bird Dogs

When we travelled in the malaysian jungles we would often bring rice, some dried vegetables like mushrooms, dried mung beans, dried fish (ikan-bilis, which is like anchovies but dried and salted) dried cuttle-fish (the chewing gum of the orient), some dried cereal, some powdered milk, some cooking oil, salt, curry, etc.

We always had lots of water in streams and springs where we were, and when you boil a big enough pot of water for long enough you can then drink it, cook with it, and wash with it, etc. We carried drinking water too but water for cooking and re-hydrating was plentiful.

Usually there were Orang-Asli villages in the jungles every couple of days where you could buy a live chicken and some eggs, and in a pinch it was pretty easy to catch a lizard for gecko-kebabs.

Anyways, for the purpose of this list I'd say dried fish, dried mushrooms, and dried beans would be a good addition. Plus enough spices and curries so that you can make different dishes out of the same dried stuff every day for a week and not get bored.
    Ray Hyland
    Explorers Club Member, RCGS Fellow, Member of Overland International Inc.
    www.nwoverlandrally.com www.expeditionportal.com www.overlandjournal.com
    1993 D110 (Diesel), 1954 86" Station Wagon, 1954 86" Pickup, 2004 Ford Explorer
    1969 Suzuki AC100 Wolf, 2005 YZF250F, 1971 Carabela

Default great suggestions so far...

this topic was also brought up on OVEXPO's "Overland Tech & Travel " page.

There's some really good ideas listed there too.
    Recently finished 2 years exploring North, Central & South America in our '87 4Runner

ANZAC biscuits!

The iconic favorite of Australia and New Zealand. Kind of like a homemade granola bar -- it's a treat, it's nutritious, and reasonably shelf stable.

The story goes that, during the First World War, wives and girlfriends would bake ANZAC biscuits to send to their soldiers posted abroad. The biscuits had to be tough and non-perishable to survive the journey by ship with no refrigeration.

Everyone has their own variation of the recipe, but the primary components are: rolled oats, flour, sugar, and coconut -- which are all fairly stable, especially if kept sealed and airtight. The other ingredients (margarine, baking soda, and water) are more perishable but are used in small amounts. And, the biscuit is baked until it's pretty much dry (and I suppose sterilized). The texture can be made anywhere from soft(-ish) and chewy to hard as nails. The stiffer the biscuit, the longer they last. Sealed in a zip-lock bag they can stay good for weeks.

One special ingredient is required that might be unfamiliar here in the States: golden syrup (syrup from processed sugar cane, kind of akin to molasses). There are (arguments abound) satisfactory substitutes but, If at all possible, I recommend using real golden syrup -- it has a toasty/buttery aspect that really makes the flavor. Look for Lyle's Golden Syrup (in the can with the dead lion surrounded by insects, yum!) I have found it at Safeway, but Amazon carries it if all else fails.

ANZAC biscuits at wikipedia

Oh yeah, they call 'em biscuits but they're really cookies.

Here's a pdf with some great info. It comes from a couple who are full time cruisers and all of their advice regarding life without refrigeration can easily be applied to overland travel.

Living Without Refrigeration
    http://www.bethandevans.com/pdf/Livi...rigeration.pdf

They also have a "Provisioning List" pdf file. It lists their typical load for two people for three months on a sailboat. It's not a perfect correlation to overland travel, but this list is worth a look.

Provisioning List
    http://www.bethandevans.com/pdf/Provisioninglist.pdf

Love the fact the ANZAC cookie made the list.

Spices, packet soups, instant noodles, canned tomatoes, pasta, canned tuna are things that are always packed and ready to go for us

Quote Originally Posted by grimbo View Post
    Love the fact the ANZAC cookie made the list.
    For those of you in the USA, the equivalent to ANZAC is hardtack. You can find more about hardtack on wikipedia... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardtack

i've never tried it but what about smoked meats like bisket or pulled pork. doable?

So weird, just last night I was thinking about this very same topic, then I pop on here today and it was bumped up to the top for me to see. Some very good reading indeed, we grew up with food storage and learned a few things in the process. I always keep 4 MRE's in the Jeep for emergencies, this is enough to last 2 people 4 days if rationed correctly. The problem with things like jerky and dried fruits is that you have to keep it out of reach while driving, otherwise you tend to gobble it up as you are moving.

Southern Alberta - or where the truck is parked
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_ZJ View Post
    So weird, just last night I was thinking about this very same topic, then I pop on here today and it was bumped up to the top for me to see. Some very good reading indeed, we grew up with food storage and learned a few things in the process. I always keep 4 MRE's in the Jeep for emergencies, this is enough to last 2 people 4 days if rationed correctly. The problem with things like jerky and dried fruits is that you have to keep it out of reach while driving, otherwise you tend to gobble it up as you are moving.
    GREAT idea for the MRE's in the vehicle. Even the daily driver vehicle can use one or two.
    2002 GMC 2500HD - 1992 Northern Lite Truck Camper

Paterson Photography Ltd. offering photography workshops, classes, expeditions and adventures around the world.
    Take time to learn how to operate your digital camera so you can get the best images possible!

http://www.firstchoicephoto.ca

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast