Which spare to choose?

Hi guys, i need to buy a new spare tire, but not sure which i should get.
I have some aggressive tread tires, that are only good for one direction (not sure what's the correct term for that). So if i choose a right tire for spare and a left blows, that wouldn't be good.
But if i buy a tire without directions i think it wouldn't be equal to my tires...

What do you guys think?

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
What you have are 'directional tread' tires, so you have the terminaology correct!:)

For most vehicles, as long as your spare is within an inch or so in height of the tires you're running, you'll be OK.

Now, if you have a spool, or auromatic lockers, you'll want a spare that is either identical, or the exact same diameter of the tires on the rig.

Worst case scenerio: You have a spool in the rear axle, and an auto locker in the front with no lock out hubs.

You get a flat tire in the rear.

Solution: Move a good front tire to the rear, install the spare on the front.
Only use 4WD if you have to.

I would find a spare that is as close to the same diameter as possible.

Even if it's a directional like you have, running it 'backwards' until you can get the flat fixed, or get a tire shop to swap the spare to the correct direction.

:coffeedrink:

alexrex20

Explorer
yep, i would just get a matching spare. there's nothing wrong with running a tire "backwards" for a few hundred miles.

what tire do you have that's directional?

Scoutn79

Adventurer
I agree with the others on diameter and tread design.
I run 12.50 width mud terrains but to save space I carry a 9.50 width all terrain spare. It was what I had and it's the same diameter.
Darrell

bob91yj

Resident **************
My theory with directional tires is to run the spare for the right side. My logic is you can't see that side so are more likely to hit an object/flat the right side tires....or flip a coin!:sombrero:

Hi,
the diameter and with will be fullsize, that`s nothing to discuss...

I just thought about getting the same directional tire and maybe have to run it backwards or get a non directional tire in the same size, but with the risk of less traction...

I also thought to mount it as a right tire...

I have those tires, i think they don`t perform well running backwards. But maybe better than a not that aggressive tread...

img_78446c14.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior