Storage in front basket

Kilroy

Adventurer
I saw Erick's posting in the roof rack thread. I've been planning on putting together a storage system using a rack on my front receiver (Tundra DC). I know I need to be concerned about interfering with air flow to radiator. (Scan Guage II is great for monitoring), but I'm thinking there really shouldn't be a wind resistance disadvantage as we're already plowing the wind. It might even work out to increase aerodynamic efficiency. Anyone using storage on the front of vehicle?

"Erick Lihme

I'm going to try to avoid a roof rack. Picked up an aluminum basket which slides into the receiver at Harbor Freight. We've seen these everywhere made of steel and which are nearly twice the size in width. The Aluminum basket type is much lighter and will hold a large strong plastic trunk and one 5 gal jerry can. Both were about $50.00 bucks.

The 2" tubing will be cut and welded and bolted so that the basket is raised to improve the approach or egress angle to that of the truck without the basket."

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Aero

I'm far from being an Aerodynamicist, but I notice that a lot of people put their aero concerns on the entry & ignore the exit. I think this is bass-ackwards. The classic aero study case is a falling drop of water. The entry shape has the least surface area possible while the exit is 'soft & gentle.'

I had a '66 Econoline extended body van that I used to flat tow the dune buggy with. About as much of a aerodynamic brick as you could ask for. It got ~10 MPG whether I was towing or not. Sometimes, like in a headwind, it got better mileage towing than it did not towing. After some thot on that I concluded that one possible reason is that the dune buggy (as ugly aerodynamically as it was) "filled in the void" behind the van. It effectively made the van more aerodynamic.
Ever drafted a box trailer big rig? (They don't like it, so I'm not suggesting it.) When you get close enough you have to nearly take your foot of the throttle. That's how much vacuum they're pulling down the road.

Erick Lihme

Observer
Anyone using storage on the front of vehicle?

There are so many talented folks on this board, the majority have relatively to myself, light years of experience when it comes to expedition travels. So far I haven't run into an example here of storage in front. The likely reason is that 'front ends' are already weighted down with winch bumpers, and that any significant storage up front is not practical. The radiator must have air, and to maintain the existing approach angle means raising the basket, or storage container so that it blocks air and possibly the drivers view directly in front of the vehicle.

Unless towing a trailer, the rear is best. Generally max rating on these after market baskets is 500 lbs. One should also consider the max tongue rating of the hitch, which typically is 350 lbs. My stock bumper is grossly over engineered. If one alters the tubing that comes with the accessory, cutting, welding it to increase the approach angle, unless expert bracing is used, the max rating should be considered drastically less. Cause I ain't no engineer, I'll overkill on the bracket s and bracing, and use no less than a 7/16th's grade 8 bolts if needed. Bolts can be better than a weld and extra insurance. Because of the bouncing, I will limit that extended wieght to 250 lbs, or preferably to little as possible , using it as storage for lighter wieght gear with one heavy item. When hungry, I hate the idea of digging around, and a kitchen in a box in the back is nearly an MRE.

I believe the idea has potential, and is efficient use of weight. Besides, an unintended consequence could be improved aerodynamics. We would be filling in the void

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I run a receiver rack on the front of mine occasionally. I don't have any overheating issues. On a tj/yj you have ~10" between the radiator and the front edge of the bumper. Add a rack and you have at least twelve. I usually have two large ice chests on my front rack. Airflow is not an issue for me on the highway or sitting still on a trail. If you overheat, you probably have a preexisting weak link.

Departure angle sucks tho, my rack comes off at camp before the extreme wheeling starts. You're lucky that you're in a tj b/c your turn signals are on the fenders. You will still have headlight issues if you go to high with the load.

Kilroy

Adventurer
Actually, I will be using the front storage on my Tundra DC. For trips the TJ gets flat towed.

Green Ganesha

Adventurer
Kilroy said:
Anyone using storage on the front of vehicle?

It's been quite some time, but I used to run a homemade front rack. The Land Rover frame horns conveniently include cylindrical recesses. So I used two sections of pipe, a 2x6 front piece, and tensioning cable to create this monstrosity.
Front Rack 1.jpg

Front Rack 2.jpg

Front Rack 3.jpg

The rack was sized to carry a Camp Chef three-burner stove. Approach angle obviously suffered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles