H3 Alpha

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Who knows anything about these?

I went and looked a clean 2008 Alpha this afternoon to see if I could fit in it comfortably ---- the steering wheel didn't telescope so I had to scooch forward more than I wanted, but it wasn't bad.
Visibility sorta sucked; the rearview mirror blocked the windshield and the windows are small. The side mirrors are well-placed though and it had a back-up camera (that I'll smash or cover with mud...).

It had 265/75-16 crappy ATs on it. Would 285/75-16 MTs fit without a lift?
And are those rock rails or garnish?

The side steps would have to go first thing...

I'm just comparing costs. My Jeep can't tow my trailer and I'm wondering if I want a new rig, supercharge the Jeep, Hemi the Jeep, or what...

Insights welcome. Thanks.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Bill- someone in this section has a very nice H3t build. I think with a leveling kit 35s are almost possible, but don't quote me. Decent power for pulling the trailer, but I cannot live with the poor visibility...

shovelbill

Observer
what size/weight trailer are you wanting to tow? don't forget.......the bigger the tire you stuff under there the higher the effective gear ratio becomes, and that's not good for towing either.

that H3 has a pretty skimpy IFS.....they don't like big tires much either.

addicted56

Adventurer
I don't have a lot to add other than last month they covered a great H3 build in one of the popular 4x4 magazines. They got rid of the IFS and put a Solid axle under it. They had another H3 right next to it that had broken some components under a mild lift/tire combo, so I think that is a common problem.

I also wheeled with a cruiser buddy of mine (also on this forum who might step in) and he busted the CV I believe on some VERY MILD wheeling out at uwharrie. He was able to get home though and it wasn't a big deal in the end and covered under warranty.

Under sligthly larger tires and most expo style wheeling I have a feeling they would hold up decent enough.

The H3T in this forum is really awesome though. I am the farthest thing from a Chevy/GMC/Hummer person. But I've been very impressed by the H3T adventure/ alpha models. That is just my opinion...I don't have any real experience or technical knowledge with these vehicles. I will be interested to see what Jeep comes out with in the next couple of years as well; again not a Jeep fan either but I'm very excited to see what comes out..you just can't beat what some of these U.S. Auto MFGs are offering straight from the factory.

GlennA

Adventurer
The Alpha has the cast iron diff so it is stronger than the al unit on the other H3's. A couple of turns on the torsion bars and the vehicle will be level and accomodate 285/75/16's on stock wheels. It doesn't take long to get accustomed to the short windows or the mirror. I beleive the Alpha may come with lockable diffs front and rear. It has a pretty civilized ride "on road" as well. Towing capacity for all H3's is 3500 lbs. Also, the rear seats do not fold flat.

Last edited:

Singbush

Observer
I can vouch that both front and rear lockers are factory options, I believe included in the Adventure Package. I'm surprised that the tow rating isn't bumped at all with the 5.3l Vortec?!?!

alexrex20

Explorer
a 6.1 Hemi swap into your Jeep would be much cheaper and much more fun than buying a new vehicle.

the H3 Alpha with the Adventure package is a nice capable rig, but it's still not worth $55k (new).

Cards81fan

Osage Hilltopper
I carpooled for quite some time with my coworker, who has a 2007 Tactical.

It was pretty nice, but I could not get used to the high shoulder on the doors resulting in short windows and poor visibility. To complete the all black theme, he had 5% tint which made it that much worse! But I will say, all blacked out save for the amber cab clearance lights looks pretty amazing.

Oh, and the I-5 felt anemic on that thing, so the V8 you are discussing I would consider requisite. It felt worse than my V6 Liberty, or my V6 Dodge which still has the stock 3.55s.

I will give my friend credit though - he does mildly wheel it all over SE Oklahoma looking at historical sites.

Edit to add - I thought 285s came on some of these trucks stock? If so, what differences were there in the vehicles, if any?

Humvette

Adventurer
I think the H3 Alpha would be a great pic!!!

Custom engines are always a pain, even with a kit. Jeeps are pretty unstable so towing would be a bad idea. Its all about wheel base.

you can pick an alpha up for under 30k now!

2" lift and 35's is perfect :)

The Hummer Community is awesome.

Good luck.
M

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Thanks, all.

285s might've been stock; that's what I was expecting anyhow. The tires that were on it were $40 specials from somewhere.

The 5.3L has a 6000 pound tow rating; I'm not really sure what my trailer weighs loaded yet but it's over 2000 pounds at least.

I have a "Friends & Family" discount with GM from work and I checked the price on one of these at the end of 2008; I could've gotten it for $36K plus TTT.

The appeal is the V8 and a little more cargo room than the Jeep. The downside is that the hubs won't match the trailer so I'd have to carry a spare or change hubs/wheels on it.
It's smaller than a Power Wagon, the real mistress that's calling me.

A Hemi for the Jeep would cost double what the Hummer would be. The supercharger option is the most affordable and is still tempting. I'd be coming very close to the Hummer torque numbers, what matters, and I'd have all my visibility, my wheels would match, and no IFS.

Hmmmm.
If the PW came with 5on5 wheels, I think it would be in the driveway already...

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
you know my thoughts- get the PW and change out the hubs on the trailer- Dendy has a fella that can do it quick and cheap- like $150. Very minor change and end up with an amazing rig. Then just get the Ute bed....

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
It's only money, right Dale? :ylsmoke:

The PW is still HUGE compared to what I usually wheel.

It looks like the Alpha did come stock with 285/75-16 tires. Either the dealership fitted the non-Alpha tires or the person who traded it in.
Either way, they'd have to go.

I could get an adapter for the Hummer spare to use on the trailer in a pinch...

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
$76k to Hemi-swap a Jeep Wrangler? Riiiiight...

For the price of an H3 Alpha, I'd get a CRD or Hemi Grand Cherokee/Commander Overland.
No.
The Alpha would be my Jeep plus $9000; the Hemi swap would be $20,000.

A Grand Cherokee would take more aftermarket bits and money to get to where the capabilities are on my Wrangler.

The supercharger option for the JK is looking better and better...

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I spent some time in ARBs old H3A, both on and off road.

On the road, it handled well, got reasonable fuel mileage, was reasonably quiet and comfortable.

Off the road, it was a bit of a pig. The suspension was mush, but it was loaded down pretty heavy with the stock suspension, so I'm sure that was a contributing factor. As already mentioned, visibility pretty much sucks, but if you aren't on tight trails, it wasn't *that* big of a deal.

Overall, it was a bit too much of a 'car' for me . . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94