new slide in on 2003 dodge ram

goranvolvo

Observer
My new camper on my 2003 dodge

I have one Q.

As you can se in the pictures the camper is not all the way in the bead reason for that I my extra fuel tank, the picture I when I bought the camper so I jus used regular straps to hold it down.

Now my tank is 80 gal. And the camper on the truck I m way overweight, and my plate is good for 8000 LBS, does someone know will I have problems on the road on the police side?

My plan is to build storage space over the tank so that will add some more weight

DSC00122.jpg

DSC00135.jpg

DSC00151.jpg

DSC00152.jpg

BCHauler

Adventurer
How heavy is the camper? Frankly, your setup doesn't look like it would be too heavy. That being said, I personally wouldn't run the camper that way. It's too far back and the COG on the camper is likely behind the rear axle, which is not recommended.

Here in BC you'd be asking for a roadside inspection...

jarmstrong

I have the same truck and a similar camper and have to agree with the above that you are just asking to be pulled over just because it looks strange and troopers are going to assume you are over even if you arent.I was really surprised when I took mine to the scales the first time and got a weight empty(bed) and then looked at the door sticker.seems like I only had about 1300 lbs to play with.When loaded with my camper and the tongue weight of car trailer I am over a little but havent had any problems but the camper is tucked into the bed and looks ok,with the camper hanging off the back I would be afraid of being stopped so I personally wouldnt do it butthe only way to know if its legal is to go to a scale and have it weighed.good luck and enjoy, we love our truck camper. We also use torklift tie downs and they are great.
Jerry

DT75FLH

Adventurer
If you want to keep a tank in the bed , look at transfer flows 30 gal model. it only takes up 9" (depth) IIRC of the bed space. then the camper would olny be back that far.

goranvolvo

Observer
The camper weight is 1300 LBS ,truck does not look loaded front and rear r same height , because I have air bags on the back I don’t like how it looks and I need custom brackets so I can strap the camper , so the tank will go out when I go camping .

any ideas for strapping it , this is my first camper so I don’t know much , what is the best way to strap it I can make anything my self but still looking for ideas .

jarmstrong

we use the torklift tie downs for ours.They keep the camper firmly in place and are quick to go on and off.
Jerry

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
The camper weight is 1300 LBS ,truck does not look loaded front and rear r same height , because I have air bags on the back I don't like how it looks and I need custom brackets so I can strap the camper , so the tank will go out when I go camping .

any ideas for strapping it , this is my first camper so I don't know much , what is the best way to strap it I can make anything my self but still looking for ideas .
On the Dodge site research "fuel tank mod". Essentially,you relocate the contact pt. for the vent tube to the high pt. on the tank,allowing 3-4 more gallons of fuel to go in. Your tank will sell on the forum sites or Craiglist. Camper will be happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94